REW software

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
laits

REW software

#1 Post by laits »

I am wondering if I could use REW software from hometheatershack to eq my bfm system and possibly at a gigs for the room instead of buying a deq2496. I have a dcx2496, graphic eq, spl meter and mixer (with phantom power). I would buy an ecm8000 mic. I am not sure exactly how to set this up to measure response and then adjust parametrics in the dcx. So my question, what else do I need and how would I hook it all up?
Built 2-OT12 (3012HO); 2-T39 22" (3012LF); 2-T39 16" (3012LF);
2-J12 (DL2512); 2-W8 (Beta 8A)

SeisTres

Re: REW software

#2 Post by SeisTres »

From what i understand, the dcx only has so many things it can do before it doesn't have enough power to run anything else simultaneously. So if you use a steep xover, that would leave you with less parametric filters. You could always use 24db/oct slope to get an couple extra filters per channel.

But yes, you could use it for PA as well as home audio. However, i would recommend the minidsp for home and the PA stuff for PA use.

First of all, learn how to work with the REW software. This means hooking up the meas. mic. and getting graphs. Once you can can some graphs going, start messing with the auto eq feature (or just rta the whole thing if you want). The auto eq feature on the REW will you give you the recommended filters parameters. After that, simply transfer the filter data to the dcx (or any other eq gear) and then run a final scan to see how it turned out.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

MissileCrisis

#3 Post by MissileCrisis »

SeisTres wrote:From what i understand, the dcx only has so many things it can do before it doesn't have enough power to run anything else simultaneously. So if you use a steep xover, that would leave you with less parametric filters. You could always use 24db/oct slope to get an couple extra filters per channel.

But yes, you could use it for PA as well as home audio. However, i would recommend the minidsp for home and the PA stuff for PA use.

First of all, learn how to work with the REW software. This means hooking up the meas. mic. and getting graphs. Once you can can some graphs going, start messing with the auto eq feature (or just rta the whole thing if you want). The auto eq feature on the REW will you give you the recommended filters parameters. After that, simply transfer the filter data to the dcx (or any other eq gear) and then run a final scan to see how it turned out.
It looks like you are quite good at this. I'm still learning REW (I have a mic/pre-amp and I'll use it with my dcx) could you give me some pointers as to how to get started?
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)

SeisTres

#4 Post by SeisTres »

First, don't worry too much about high quality graphs or placing or speakers/mic. Simply run some sweeps and see how they turn out. Learn to know how to play with the graph parameters and the start with low resolution sweeps as they're MUCH faster. Also, smooth your graphs; rough graphs quite nasty.

Once you get all sweeps down, you can start worrying about getting higher quality sweeps and speaker/mic placement. Run some more sweeps like this and try to find the natural best spot for you stuff without having to eq (ie where sub doesn't have huge dips or the mains aren't too close to the wall as they get a ragged low end).

Then, start worrying about eq. Play with it some going to extremes and see how everything works. Play around with auto eq and change around the settings see how the graph is looking. After that, go ahead put some of the recommend eq's into your unit. Then run a confirmation sweep.
Sound lengthy, but once you start playing around with it, it's actually not that bad.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub