PA+ settings for new release DR250's?

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
biggerrigger

PA+ settings for new release DR250's?

#1 Post by biggerrigger »

Does anyone have the base line settings for the new DR250's in the PA+?
I did the auto EQ in the venue just to get them going but I can tell that they are far from where they should be.
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

maxo

Re: PA+ settings for new release DR250's?

#2 Post by maxo »

bigger

whatever you ear tell to sound ok
but depending on what subs you have you need to high pass at 100 or 125 hz
then you need to adjust your overall level on your tops to match your subs

what amps, subs and crossover processor you have
how many 250's and subs and what subs models
It is not the bananas but the monkey

Chris_Allen

#3 Post by Chris_Allen »

You need to trust your ears on this one.

Normally, once I've done an auto EQ, I drop all sliders to a maximum of +/- 3dB, I don't allow for corrections greater than that other than for feedback issues.

Do an A/B test with the EQ on and off and have someone listen with you. As long as it doesn't sound offensive, you'll be fine.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

biggerrigger

#4 Post by biggerrigger »

It looks like I will have to do multiple setup settings after doing more reading.
My setup is as follows.
2 DR250's 2510 drivers melded array
2 DR250's 2510 drivers straight array (these are still on the bench 85% complete)
4 T39's Lab12 loaded 25" wide
DCX Pa+
Behringer EP4000 sub amp
Behringer A500 tops amp

Last Saturday I ran all 4 T39's corner loaded but not V-plated(was not needed) and the pair of DR250 melded's. In this case I had the subs crossed at 40-100hz 24db and the tops at 120hz 24db and up.

If I only run 2 of the subs I will have to increase the low cut to 45hz so I will need yet another setting saved.

As soon as our hurricane Sandy snow storm is gone I will get setup out side and make the proper changes in the EQ.

How do my x-over settings look?
Should I lower the subs high pass as well as lower the tops?
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

biggerrigger

#5 Post by biggerrigger »

I should add that when I did my auto EQ I had the tops 30ft apart slightly toed in and placed the mic 10ft out in between the two speakers. I had the subs running at the time that I did the auto EQ but I had the gains on the sub amp set at 50% as it all but killed the output from the subs when I had the gains at max on the sub amp.

Is there a better way of doing the auto EQ outside?
I will be setting up on top of a mowed grass hill of about 4 acres in size with no buildings what so ever and no trees for at least 1000 ft behind the mic.
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

biggerrigger wrote: Is there a better way of doing the auto EQ outside?
I just used half of my stack to set the auto EQ. Put the tops on the sub and put the mic directly in front about 20 feet away.

Definitely have the amp level the same as you would run it in a live setting.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

biggerrigger

#7 Post by biggerrigger »

I will definitely do that when I get set up out side.
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

biggerrigger

#8 Post by biggerrigger »

Just to give an update on getting the system properly EQ'ed. I did my setup outside as noted and spent over an hour tweeking the sound to my liking after the auto EQ on the PA+ was finished doing it's thing. After doing so I went back to double check everything before I saved it in the system only to find that the auto EQ had changed not only my limiters but also my X-over slope to only 6db for both the subs and tops.
So a word of caution to anyone that is using the DBX PA+ for system control. Even if you go into the X-over and Limiter settings and save them for your setup before using the auto EQ function the system will override all of the stored settings to make the system flat via the auto EQ. I messed with this for a day and a half to try and figure out what was going on and it only seems to happen this way on the custom speaker settings at the beginning of the initial setup. As you know there are several commercial speaker settings already stored in the system to chose from and these will not change with auto EQ but the custom one will.
Perhaps its something that I am doing wrong in the way I am using the system to make this happen but I am following the manual to a T and still getting the same results. If anyone knows a work around for this problem please let me know.

Good news is I have them all dialed in now and the system as a whole sounds incredible. I'm just scared to use the auto EQ for a different venue as I would loose all of my settings.
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I use a PA+ and have never encountered this.....are you sure you were using just the EQ wizard and you didn't use all of the Auto Setup wizards? You definitely want to use a custom setting and stay away from the Auto Setup - that will absolutely change things.

Build your custom setting, then use the Auto EQ - nothing else.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

beemer832

#10 Post by beemer832 »

Going to supply the data that Leland gave to me for the DR250's. He set this up in the PA+ on the GEQ and it sounded pretty damn good.

I just need to know the differences on crossover settings and points (hz and gain) when do increase and decrease (two cabs or 4). Also what is being used for limiters on this device.

GEQ data:
80 +2.5
100 -1
125 +1
160 -3.5
200 -4
250 -6
315 -8.5
400 -9
500 -6
630 -3
800 -4
1000 -6
1250 -3.5
1600 -1.5
2000 -4
2500 -1.5

thanks
-josh

Charles Jenkinson

#11 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Not sure whether others would recommend the DBX forum, but here's the link I would make reference to to set a custom set-up up. (Note: I haven't set a custom set-up yet on my DRPA+)

http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=959

Charles
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

z-audio

#12 Post by z-audio »

biggerrigger wrote:Just to give an update on getting the system properly EQ'ed. I did my setup outside as noted and spent over an hour tweeking the sound to my liking after the auto EQ on the PA+ was finished doing it's thing. After doing so I went back to double check everything before I saved it in the system only to find that the auto EQ had changed not only my limiters but also my X-over slope to only 6db for both the subs and tops.
So a word of caution to anyone that is using the DBX PA+ for system control. Even if you go into the X-over and Limiter settings and save them for your setup before using the auto EQ function the system will override all of the stored settings to make the system flat via the auto EQ. I messed with this for a day and a half to try and figure out what was going on and it only seems to happen this way on the custom speaker settings at the beginning of the initial setup. As you know there are several commercial speaker settings already stored in the system to chose from and these will not change with auto EQ but the custom one will.
Perhaps its something that I am doing wrong in the way I am using the system to make this happen but I am following the manual to a T and still getting the same results. If anyone knows a work around for this problem please let me know.

Good news is I have them all dialed in now and the system as a whole sounds incredible. I'm just scared to use the auto EQ for a different venue as I would loose all of my settings.

Im using the old driverack not the +,anyone had experience this phenomenom using the old drpa?Im not checking the xover points and slopes after im done with the auto eq so i really dont know if this also is happening to the old drpa.
I love u Zeriel

biggerrigger

#13 Post by biggerrigger »

Not quite sure with the older model but the PA+ sure does. I refuse to use the auto EQ on the PA+ anymore because of it. Try it and find out or pull up your settings to see if your x-over settings have changed since the last time you have used auto EQ.
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

biggerrigger wrote:Not quite sure with the older model but the PA+ sure does. I refuse to use the auto EQ on the PA+ anymore because of it. Try it and find out or pull up your settings to see if your x-over settings have changed since the last time you have used auto EQ.
That only happens is you use the set up wizard. I've had it happen to me the first time I tried it on the PA+. Stay out of the set up wizard and just go to auto EQ - it will leave everything else alone.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

z-audio

#15 Post by z-audio »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
biggerrigger wrote:Not quite sure with the older model but the PA+ sure does. I refuse to use the auto EQ on the PA+ anymore because of it. Try it and find out or pull up your settings to see if your x-over settings have changed since the last time you have used auto EQ.
That only happens is you use the set up wizard. I've had it happen to me the first time I tried it on the PA+. Stay out of the set up wizard and just go to auto EQ - it will leave everything else alone.
I will check the crossover settings today if it did changed on my old drpa.What do you mean when you say "Stay out of the set up wizard and just go to auto EQ"?How will i do it?Thank you.
I love u Zeriel