The Newbie Guy with a million questions...

EricBSTL

The Newbie Guy with a million questions...

#1 Post by EricBSTL »

Hey everyone, this is Eric in St. Louis. And, I've gotten started off here with a bang by buying some plans and asking a zillion questions...probably as profound as, "Why is there air?" ;)

I'm new to folded horn building...but not entirely new to speaker cabinet making. Although, the majority of any guitar type cabs that I make are generally the smaller front loaded type.

I also build small battery amps into cigar boxes, cigar box guitars, banjos, other types of custom guitar, and pretty much anything that catches my eye. So, if you see a stylized "EB" logo for EB Custom Instruments, that's me.

Anyway, I'm glad to be on here! I hope to post pics of my first sub builds very soon. And, thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Eric

PS...I have no idea about what I'm doing yet. But, I'm wondering if the bass horn idea couldn't be used in a small cabinet...ala the Wave Radio type thing. It'd be pretty exciting to hear huge bass from some of these 2" Gento speakers I have lying around. :) I've been experimenting with the tubular canon type baffle...but can't really go long enough to get super deep tones....a horn might do the trick if coupled with a front loaded driver....Hmmmmm.

Radian

Re: The Newbie Guy with a million questions...

#2 Post by Radian »

Welcome aboard!! :cowboy:
EricBSTL wrote:I'm wondering if the bass horn idea couldn't be used in a small cabinet..
Smallest horn I've experienced DIY that actually works decent is Volvotreter's 38Hz folded tapped-horn. Not exactly sized for desktop use. But I'm not an industry expert, there certainly could be other (smaller) options...maybe.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Haysus

Re: The Newbie Guy with a million questions...

#3 Post by Haysus »

Welcome. It is nice to hear a local voice. A small warning, these cabs are addictive.

4 20" T39(built)
2 WH8(built)
3 WH10(own)
4 DR200(own)

1 Jack 12(built)
SAC 24 Channel Mixer
SAW STUDIO Recording