Eminence Kilomax PRO-15A Drivers

kilomax

Eminence Kilomax PRO-15A Drivers

#1 Post by kilomax »

Hello to all on the forum. I am new to the forum my name is Dan. I was directed to this forum from a builder in michigan. I have just purchased 2 Eminence KILOMAX PRO-15A - 2500W 15" (381mm) 8 Ohm drivers. I am wanting to build a couple of really good single 15" subs with these drivers. I have BEHRINGER CX3400 SUPER-X PRO CROSSOVER and 2 Behringer EUROPOWER EP4000 power amps that can run safely 550w rms@ 1%THD To both channels at 8ohms. As you know I have spent a bit of money on these drivers and I want to build enclosures that are matched to these drivers. What are your recomondations? If the amps are not powerful enough I can get something better for these drivers. I just want the best subwoofer enclosure for those drivers that is the most efficient and works excellent and is a matched to the kilomax 15A drivers. Thank you for any input. :D

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Eminence Kilomax PRO-15A Drivers

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

kilomax wrote:Hello to all on the forum. I am new to the forum my name is Dan. I was directed to this forum from a builder in michigan. I have just purchased 2 Eminence KILOMAX PRO-15A - 2500W 15" (381mm) 8 Ohm drivers. I am wanting to build a couple of really good single 15" subs with these drivers. I have BEHRINGER CX3400 SUPER-X PRO CROSSOVER and 2 Behringer EUROPOWER EP4000 power amps that can run safely 550w rms@ 1%THD To both channels at 8ohms. As you know I have spent a bit of money on these drivers and I want to build enclosures that are matched to these drivers. What are your recomondations? If the amps are not powerful enough I can get something better for these drivers. I just want the best subwoofer enclosure for those drivers that is the most efficient and works excellent and is a matched to the kilomax 15A drivers. Thank you for any input. :D
:cop: Major oops. First you choose the enclosure, based on your needs, then you choose the driver best suited for it. You can use them in the T48 and T36, they're not the best drivers for the job, but having put the cart before the horse you've got to live with it now.

kilomax

#3 Post by kilomax »

:wall: Thank you Bill for your quick response. Not the response I wanted but sometimes the truth hurts. So do you feel that I should not build the t48s with these? What is the drawback of using these drivers compared to what drivers you recomend. I am just looking for a honest recommendation thats all. I would like to use your plans but if its not the best with the drivers I ended up with then I dont wat to build them and then not be happy with them. I would be using them for live perfomance rock/country.Thank you again looking forward to your response.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The Kilomax is displacement limited to only 350 watts, the 3015LF will take 450w and weighs half as much. The Kilomax 1200w thermal rating is very impressive, but thermal ratings alone don't mean much. It's not that the Kilomax won't work well, just that the 3015LF works better and weighs less.

SeisTres

#5 Post by SeisTres »

http://eminence.com/pdf/cab-kilomaxpro-15a.pdf

Or you could always build the design on the fifth page which stays strong till 80hz and then drops like a rock but it CAN take 1000 watts, eh , eh.... :slap:

But hey, look at the bright side, if you put them in the t48 you can brag they're 1200watts rms cabs. AND you will probably never fry them :mrgreen: (of course, they can still be damaged physically :bash: )
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

kilomax

#6 Post by kilomax »

Yeah I was checking the eminence cab specs out before. I like your comment siestres! Heck what to do what to do. :noob:

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

kilomax wrote:Yeah I was checking the eminence cab specs out before. I like your comment siestres! Heck what to do what to do. :noob:
Compare the SPL charts for the T48 to the Eminence designs. The 0 dB line in the Eminence normalized response charts is 97dB/2.83v.

SeisTres

#8 Post by SeisTres »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
kilomax wrote:Yeah I was checking the eminence cab specs out before. I like your comment siestres! Heck what to do what to do. :noob:
Compare the SPL charts for the T48 to the Eminence designs. The 0 dB line in the Eminence normalized response charts is 97dB/2.83v.
Is 97 db the standard for modeling software as well?? I've been playing with the direct radiator cab modeling software but wasn't sure what was the 2.83v/meter rating, it just show the normalized and the max spl with max watts that it can take(which i'm still trying how to read the damn graph)
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

SeisTres wrote: Is 97 db the standard for modeling software as well??
The other way around. Based on the specs the software calculates the SPL.

kilomax

#10 Post by kilomax »

Bill would there be any slight alteration to the t48 that I could do that would make them more well suited to the drivers that I made the mistake of getting. Bill I think that I will go with you just because of your promptness with all my quetstions customer service is #1 in my book and you have been awesome. If you could work with me a little to get the most out of what I have it would be wonderful. Thank again , Dan :cowboy:

Turntablist

#11 Post by Turntablist »

Dan, it's not about the design, it's about the driver. As Bill said the Kilomax's voicecoil can handle an impressive amount of power, unfortunately though, the Kilomax's X-max isn't long enough to handle all that power so you'll have to limit the driver to 350w in the T48 anyway. The 3015LF OTOH has longer X-max so it can handle more power before reaching it's X-max, this means you'll get more noise out of the T48 with the 3015LF than the kilomax driver. The 3015LF is also cheaper and lighter so it is definately the driver to pick out of the two.
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

kilomax wrote:Bill would there be any slight alteration to the t48 that I could do that would make them more well suited to the drivers that I made the mistake of getting. Bill I think that I will go with you just because of your promptness with all my quetstions customer service is #1 in my book and you have been awesome. If you could work with me a little to get the most out of what I have it would be wonderful. Thank again , Dan :cowboy:
T48 will get the most out of the driver, the point is that another driver would work even better. That doesn't mean you can't use what you have.

Gregory East

#13 Post by Gregory East »

Why not send back the "dud" ones for the correct ones and save a wedge of cash, make more noise for win, win.

kilomax

#14 Post by kilomax »

Thank you to all. You all have been so great. I am very new to this and have very many things to learn. I cant return the drivers long story so I will leave it at that. I guess I could order the correct drivers for the t48 when im ready to start the project. Could anybody tell me if they would work good as a replacement in pv215 if so what power could i run to them with that cabinet biamping the kilos with the stock drivers being amped seperate. The other drivers being stock to the cab. So per cab one 15"kilomax one stock 15" and one stock horn. Dont be afraid to tell me im :horse: . Once again thank you to all. What a great forum.
http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature ... 2170_3.pdf :cowboy:

Ron K

#15 Post by Ron K »

being of the quasi-three way design I would think you may want both woofers in the box to be identical or have near identical specs so they interact correctly with the box size and tuning!

The woofer used in that design is the PEAVEY PR15TW-8 which is a fairly cheap driver if you need a replacement. Somewhere around 70.00 US which wont break the bank.

It's nowhere near the same as the Eminence Kilomax driver and I doubt the specs are even close.Stamped frame ,smallish magnet and a 2.3/8" voice coil. My guess is the Kilomax will dust the Peavey.
Ever since I replaced sex with food I cant even get into my own pants!