Hello from Upstate NY

DJ Watty

Hello from Upstate NY

#1 Post by DJ Watty »

Hello all. I am a mobile DJ that needs to get a good set of subs and speakers built by June. I am currently running 2 Tapco TH-15s and 1 QSC K-Sub that I habe been fairly happy with. My largest crowd playing live with my own equipment so far has been around 200. I am doing a few large outdoor venues this coming summer and after a nasty divorce can affortd to buy the speakers I need so going to try and build em :D .

I ordered plans for the Tuba 30 and the OmniTop 15. I plan on building 4 of the Tuba 30s and 6 of the OmniTops to start. I am excited to get started :D Being more of a picture type of guy I just wish the instructions had more pics with dimensions, lol. I would be willing to pay for life size cardboard cutouts or all the pieces I need :wall: . I have done some advance woodworking of my own designs of furniture, DJ facades and such. So I am sure I'll be able to figure it out. I have a full woodworking shop with 2 table saws, radial arm saw, shaper/sizer, router table, biscut jointer, pocket hole jointer system, drill presses, bench sanders, ect ect.

Well wish me luck.

P.S. I am serious about buying cardboard cutouts, it would save me a ton of time in reading and re-reading. Any takers?

Thanks- DJ Watty
diskjockeywatty@gmail.com

jswingchun

Re: Hello from Upstate NY

#2 Post by jswingchun »

DJ Watty wrote:it would save me a ton of time in reading and re-reading.
Reading and re-reading is how you get the cabs built correctly. You should read the plans over so many times that you could practically build them without the plans in front of you. The sketchup models are your visual guide, your "cardboard cutouts", so to speak. That's how you can really see how things go together. You can take measurements from the sketchup models using the tape measure tool.

With that stable of tools, the plans, the sketchups and the forum to ask questions, you won't have any problems getting them built.

Just remember to follow the plans...

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!!
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DJ Watty wrote:I plan on building 4 of the Tuba 30s and 6 of the OmniTops to start.
You've got that ratio backwards. Subs require roughly twice the power, driver complement and cab size as tops.

wallywally

#4 Post by wallywally »

Did you open the sketchup's? They help alot. But you will need to read and re read until you understand every step (you should do this before you make any sawdust). Also good advice is to build 1 cab first then the other 3 so you don't make an error in 4 at the same time. Take your time, don't rush. Rushing leads to :cussing:
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

James R

#5 Post by James R »

+1 Welcome, where in upstate ny I'm outside of Rochester,NY and there's another here from Rochester,NY
" Everyone Has a Photographic Memory, Just Not Everyone Has Film In The Camera"

4 x T48 24.5" 3015LF
8 x 112 Otops

NEXT 2 x DR280's

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

First, Welcome!
Second, read, read and re-read! If you have to, cut out the parts in cardboard to get an understanding (but don't use the cardboard as templates!).
Third, take your time.
Fourth, follow the plans
Fifth, there is a lot of free, friendly advice here.
TomS

DJPhatman

#7 Post by DJPhatman »

1st off, Welcome to the addiction!

I will suggest that you re-consider your choice of cabs.

#1 - For tops, go with either the DR2XX (200, 250 or 280) or the OmniTop12. The 15 really lacks the mids compared to the 12 or 10 or even the 8. With your wood-working chops, you should have no problems kicking out a DR200 or DR250. The higher build difficulty rating is because of the higher build difficulty but also because of the many steps involved.

#2 - For subs, absolutely go for the T48. Goes as low as the T30, but is much more sensitive in the "power-band" of 40-80 Hz. What this means is more chest-thump. Way more than the T30. Plus the T48 is way easier to move about.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#8 Post by Harley »

DJPhatman wrote:...you should have no problems kicking out a DR200 or DR250. The higher build difficulty rating is because of the higher build difficulty but also because of the many steps involved.
Not too mention that you really need more sophisticated tools for the DR build if you're going to make it enjoyable ( and safe ) for yourself.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

DJ Watty

#9 Post by DJ Watty »

Thanks for all the replies :D
1) I never bought MS Word for my comp so the pics that come in the manual will not show (guessing why anyways). Going to try downloading OpenOffice and see if that works. Going to go threw the Sketch Up version today. Just went out and got my little production line set up.
2) Plattsburgh NY. In the corner of Canada and VT. I have had many beers at the Rochester Brew Pub though :wink: My dad playes in a few bands in the Syracuse / Rochester area. Crazy old fart retired to relax and now he is working twice as hard, lol.
3) I did consider the T48 but I use a converted bus to transport my gear and my hydrolic lift gate is only 33 1/4" wide.
4) Thank you for informing me about the 12 vs. the 15. I will take another look at the DR line.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DJ Watty wrote: 3) I did consider the T48 but I use a converted bus to transport my gear and my hydrolic lift gate is only 33 1/4" wide.
T48 can be built as narrow as 15 inches.

WB

#11 Post by WB »

DJ Watty wrote: 1) I never bought MS Word for my comp so the pics that come in the manual will not show (guessing why anyways). Going to try downloading OpenOffice and see if that works.
Bill will send PDF files if you ask. That's what I do.
Tomorrow I'm going to stop procrastinating - WB

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

WB wrote:
DJ Watty wrote: 1) I never bought MS Word for my comp so the pics that come in the manual will not show (guessing why anyways). Going to try downloading OpenOffice and see if that works.
But you can't copy the pictures and diagrams from a PDF into a new document and expand them to full page size, making them a lot easier to see. Or copy a dozen pictures onto one page.

Tom Smit

#13 Post by Tom Smit »

DJ Watty wrote: 3) I did consider the T48 but I use a converted bus to transport my gear and my hydrolic lift gate is only 33 1/4" wide.
But how deep is it? The T48 might still fit because of it's depth (which could be less than it's width, depending of course, how wide one would make it). The T48 is also easier to 'tip' in/on/over-the-edge. for load-in/out. IOW, top edge resting on the platform/deck while the bottom is slide in (out if unloading).
Just something to consider. :)
TomS

mackcom

#14 Post by mackcom »

James R wrote:+1 Welcome, where in upstate ny I'm outside of Rochester,NY and there's another here from Rochester,NY
I'm in Buffalo, NY. Not quite from Rochester, but not that far.

Vuja de

#15 Post by Vuja de »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
WB wrote:
But you can't copy the pictures and diagrams from a PDF into a new document and expand them to full page size, making them a lot easier to see. Or copy a dozen pictures onto one page.

www.OpenOffice.org is a free software that reads MS Word, Excel, etc..........