Introducing MR. JOE BLACK!!!!

topdiggy2

Introducing MR. JOE BLACK!!!!

#1 Post by topdiggy2 »

Hello People!!!

I have been monitoring this forum for a little over a week and bought my plans this past Saturday. I have decided to build (8) Titans48 and (8) DR250.

I am a mobile Dj and a manage a few hip hop acts throw outdoor parties/concert events. Right now I work in small parks and halls drawing crowds of 200+ people or so. But, im trying to take this here thing of ours on the road and do bigger shows. So, I need a sound system that can do bigger crowds (1,500+ ppl). So thats the needs for the herd.

Anyway, i went out a bought lumber today to conduct a trial run on the sub, and im getting ready to go outside and clean the garage. i will post pics later on tonight when im finished.

Titan 48 (trial cut)
30" wide
1/2" Pine Plywood (only 4 ply was available...birch is significantly more expensive at my lumber yard $12.98 vs $36.95).

Oh, I'm still unsure which drivers im going to put in them because im still a little confused about which driver to choose. Im doing the 30"wide on the Titans 48, with a single 15" woofer. Im going to try the Eminence Delta 15LF instead of the the 3015LF because they are relatively cheaper speaker. I ordered one of each just to test, and then i will decide later which one to install in the herd.

Stay tuned!!!

Haysus

Re: Introducing MR. JOE BLACK!!!!

#2 Post by Haysus »

I think you have made wise choices. Peace of mind and occasional
abuse factor you should buck up to the 3015lf. I have seen a lot of
hip hop shows test the largest powered shows. Just my opinion.

4 20" T39(built)
2 WH8(built)
3 WH10(own)
4 DR200(own)

1 Jack 12(built)
SAC 24 Channel Mixer
SAW STUDIO Recording

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

topdiggy2 wrote: Titan 48 (trial cut)
30" wide
1/2" Pine Plywood (only 4 ply was available...birch is significantly more expensive at my lumber yard $12.98 vs $36.95).
!
You're building a world class speaker and compromising the result to save 24 bucks? :cop:

gdougherty

#4 Post by gdougherty »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
topdiggy2 wrote: Titan 48 (trial cut)
30" wide
!
You're building a world class speaker and compromising the result to save 24 bucks? :cop:
That would be per sheet and a 30" T48 took me 3 sheets. I'll second your point though, that $75/cab on a speaker that hangs with $1000+ speakers isn't worth the savings. 5-even plies. Get the good stuff. Cheaper stuff is typically softer and has inferior glue between the layers. After you've spent a week assembling a T48, you don't want it coming apart on the road.

TopDiggy, spend more now, build the herd in chunks to save money. Start with 4 of each. That will already put you at the next level. I've pounded rooms for 400-500 people running hip-hop content with just a pair of 30" T48's v-plated, center clustered and not boundary loaded. Stick them in a corner and stand back. I had 48db/octave slopes at 40Hz to help protect my 3015LF's. Adding another pair ups the output nicely. Unless you're looking at a more expensive high output 15" driver (that's still short enough to fit in the driver chamber), there is no other option but the 3015LF. For the price, and the weight, there is no other option. Period. Save yourself the time of comparing and just use them.

djwoo

#5 Post by djwoo »

Even for pine less than $13.00 is cheap, i guess is construction grade, you should use at least good plywood, A/B grade. Good pine around here is $28.00
¿TEQUILA?...

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

Get the good stuff...buy once, cry once!

Oh, and Welcome!
TomS

topdiggy2

#7 Post by topdiggy2 »

When i picked up the lumber today, i didnt really have time to inspect it thoroughly. However, after cleaning out the garage tonight and loading the wood inide, i see that im not too happy with this choice. I have splinters for days, chiped edges, and uneven plys...not too mention when I only counted 4 ply sheets.

Maybe they gave me the wrong stuff???? lol

Im going to take it back in the AM and spend the extra on the Baltic Birch...

Bill - Yeah I have seen you reply to people when they ask, however, they only have the 3/4 inch Baltic burch, i dont care that it will be heavier, but, am i hurting anything using 3/4" instead of 1/2" ply?

Thanks

Turntablist

#8 Post by Turntablist »

topdiggy2 wrote:am i hurting anything using 3/4" instead of 1/2" ply?
Your wallet and your back. The T48 is also designed for 1/2" ply so 3/4" will shrink the hornpath somewhat and I think you would have to change the panels around the throat... A lot of guesswork. Find 1/2" and you'll be all happy! :)
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired

LelandCrooks

#9 Post by LelandCrooks »

Don't use 3/4. Find 1/2 A/C, inspect it carefully before you buy it. I use it for titans/tubas only. It does save a lot of weight. A fully finished t39 made from 1/2 A/C weighed 1 lb less than an unfinished no driver, no top plate, Baltic Birch t39.

Having said that, BB is the best. If you're going to bang your cabs, use BB. A/C cabs will need to be treated more gently.

$37 a sheet for birch is a good price.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

camrynekai

#10 Post by camrynekai »

LelandCrooks wrote:Having said that, BB is the best. If you're going to bang your cabs, use BB. A/C cabs will need to be treated more gently.

Are you kidding me...I spent about $87 a sheet here in NY when I built my herd
Image...
and topdiggy2, you would be a fool to use anything but BB for the build...these boxes take a bit of time to build and they are NOT toys...they will shred a lesser grade ply.
Facebook Page
More Bass then Fitzmaurice??? Click here
My herd of T48's

Cabs built
14- 24" T48's 3015LF's
6- OTop 2X12's W/Straight array's
4- OTop 12's W/melded array's
2- OTop 12's W/Straight array's
2- 29" Sla Pro's
1- Auto tuba ITW

topdiggy2

#11 Post by topdiggy2 »

Hello Guys:

After reading everyone's post, i think that you all are under the impression that im going to build them ALL using the a/c pine ply. I am only doing this for the first one. Already im glad that i did because all of my cuts arent perfect, but the build is coming together nicely!

camrynekai - Dry land is not a myth!!!!! Damn that looks sexy, having all tweleve sitting front stage, with 8 DR250 flying on both sides....ahhhhh....im about to wet my pants!

...oh, and pics to come. im posting from my laptop in garage, not time to download pics....lol

gdougherty

#12 Post by gdougherty »

LelandCrooks wrote:Don't use 3/4. Find 1/2 A/C, inspect it carefully before you buy it. I use it for titans/tubas only. It does save a lot of weight. A fully finished t39 made from 1/2 A/C weighed 1 lb less than an unfinished no driver, no top plate, Baltic Birch t39.

Having said that, BB is the best. If you're going to bang your cabs, use BB. A/C cabs will need to be treated more gently.

$37/sheet sounds almost like the thin veneer birch plywood. Inspect carefully and make sure that it's not even layers in the middle and two ultra-thin layers on the outside. You're also looking for mostly void free plywood.

Gregory East

#13 Post by Gregory East »

Time to check my ply, a/c is smooth furniture grade on one side and a bit rougher on the other but without voids isn't it? That's what I was thinking I'd be going for as I can't find any "hoop pine".

LelandCrooks

#14 Post by LelandCrooks »

Gregory East wrote:Time to check my ply, a/c is smooth furniture grade on one side and a bit rougher on the other but without voids isn't it? That's what I was thinking I'd be going for as I can't find any "hoop pine".
Yup.

gdougherty wrote:$37/sheet sounds almost like the thin veneer birch plywood.
That's what I pay here in small town America for 1/2 5x5 true BB.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

gdougherty

#15 Post by gdougherty »

LelandCrooks wrote:
gdougherty wrote:$37/sheet sounds almost like the thin veneer birch plywood.
That's what I pay here in small town America for 1/2 5x5 true BB.
So pricing has come back down to semi reasonable levels?