Hello :P

Water

Hello :P

#1 Post by Water »

Hello all,

My name is CJ and I am a Disc Jockey from CA. I was directed to this site by a friend who says that I should stop by and see if I can't get a little help with my questions.

I am interested in the Tuba speaker boxes but, I have no idea which Tuba would be a good fit for what I do. Right now I'm running some of JBL's entry level line and more often than not I use a JRX118sp 18 inch sub. I also have two dual 18 yamaha sw218v cabs that sound decent but could be better lol... For tops I use the eon g2 15's.

Anyhow, I have been told countless times at djforums, by other djs, as well as musicians to come and check out the Tuba designs and see if I can find a way to increase my sound while decreasing weight.

I'm hoping someone out there can help me out a little with my problem. I need more output than a single JBL JRX118sp can provide but, it's not always possible to lug 1 or 2 dual 18 cabs out in a wedding setting. I was considering purchasing the powered 18inch sub offering by Mackie but I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

Can anyone out there help me decide what would be the best fit for what I do as a mobile DJ? Most of the events we handle are weddings that are held in rooms (some are out doors) that often compare in size to school gyms without the ultra high ceilings lol.

I have thought long term about replacing my main system with custom boxes but, before I go ordering plans and selling my gear it would be great if someone out there could help me out with deciding what would be the best fit for what I do.

Thank you,
CJ.

LelandCrooks

Re: Hello :P

#2 Post by LelandCrooks »

Tuba 30's, or T39's. Depends on how low you need. T30's get lower at the sacrifice of some output in the 50-60 range. T39's sacrifice below 40 for more output period.

This is an ongoing debate here. For wedding gigs I'd say Titan 39's or 48's.
Otop 12's for easy build tops, DR200's or 250's if you have the skills and/or the time.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

SoundInMotionDJ

#3 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

Water wrote:Can anyone out there help me decide what would be the best fit for what I do as a mobile DJ? Most of the events we handle are weddings that are held in rooms (some are out doors) that often compare in size to school gyms without the ultra high ceilings lol.
My mantra is: sensitivity rules (titans) until you prove you need low end extension (tubas).

I use DR200/T39 for rooms up to 25000 sq ft with up to 2000 of my closest friends in attendance. I have ten of each cabinet. I play Top 40, Classic Rock, R&B, Motown, Disco, Pop, Blues, etc. All the wedding staples.

--Stan Graves
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

Turntablist

#4 Post by Turntablist »

If saving weight is a big concern for you then building speakers yourself would be your option. The manufacturers usually don't put a whole lot of time into the build as that would cost too much for them. You see, there are two ways to build cabs, either thick walls and no bracing (heavy cab but short buildtime) or you can go for thinner walls and a lot of bracing(much lighter cab but longer buildtime.

I am a DJ and 99% of the time I play recorded music of all kinds. I use two T48's and they go lower than any of the commercial cabs that I hear in clubs and such. I highpass them at 32hz which is not recommended by Bill(he recommends ~35-40hz) though I don't feed them full power, I give them like 300w each, which isn't a bigger loss than 1.5db or so from full power at 450w. The 3015LFwoofer used in the T48 is a total MONSTER, huge displacement, low weight and has enough powerhandling (any more than 500w fed into a cab will most times not give you anything else than magic smoke coming out of the speakers resulting in a bigger hole in your wallet).

I haven't tried to highpass my T48's at 40hz but it sure would be interesting, just to see how much low musiccontent I'd lose.

The 3015LF won't fit in a T39, the T39's best driveroption is the 3012LF which has far less displacement.
My tip would be to look into the T48, use the 3015LFdriver and build the cab as wide as you can. Weight is not a big issue with the T48's IMO, I've managed to lift a T48 up so it stands on top of the other standing cab and as long as you'll get them in and out of your truck and through the door(many doorsways here in Sweden are just over 24 inches wide though never narrower so 24inches wide was my option) size won't be a concern either.

Also be sure to build a V-plate, better conecontrol and added sensitivity equal to almost doubling the input.
Before I got a V-plate I put the T48's mouth to mouth one top of the other standing up facing a corner on a gig, the room was roughly 40feet wide and 60feet long and people in the far end of the room, in the kitchen, had a hard time hearing eachother at normal conversationvolume when I pushed the T48's to the max late in the evening.. With a V-plate, it would have been even more insane. 8)

The T48's goes low enough for me(I don't miss any content) and go loud enough for me(for sure :mrgreen: ). I hope I've given you enough info to make your mind up. :)

Also, read the stickys in the Tuba/Titan forumpart. I can not emphasise enough the importance of proper placement, crossing and limiting.
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired

Dusneed

#5 Post by Dusneed »

We are here for the same reasons. I'll just add my .02cents.
Don't buy the powered Mackie. I bought a powered QSC 18" sub last year about this time and I tried to do a gym party with it and my sound was thin at best. I took it back to guitar center and I decided to buy the whole set of plans from Bill. I say get rid of your G2s just because everyone else has them and you will be distinctive with these unique boxes that Bill offers. You can look so legit because you have cabs that are pro looking and have your company's name routed into them.
Committed

DJ Big Ronn

#6 Post by DJ Big Ronn »

Dusneed wrote:We are here for the same reasons. I'll just add my .02cents.
Don't buy the powered Mackie. I bought a powered QSC 18" sub last year about this time and I tried to do a gym party with it and my sound was thin at best. I took it back to guitar center and I decided to buy the whole set of plans from Bill. I say get rid of your G2s just because everyone else has them and you will be distinctive with these unique boxes that Bill offers. You can look so legit because you have cabs that are pro looking and have your company's name routed into them.

Some people are hard to convince tho. One of the Dj's in the area just bought 2 Yorkville powered 15's and claims he did a school dance in a gym with only 1 and it was awesome. :cop: :bull: Total bullsh!t.

DJDAVE

#7 Post by DJDAVE »

I personally love my 2 dual loaded 24" T-24's. Mostly weddings 100-200 people without wall loading and sometimes v-plating right in from of my booth. Plenty of bottom up close and far away which is what I couldn't get before. Although I haven't heard the T-39, I can't imagine using anything else.

Good luck and have fun.

Turntablist

#8 Post by Turntablist »

No matter what cabs we have built it seems we are all in love! :mrgreen:
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired