Another newbie with an interesting quest

EricK

Re: Another newbie with an interesting quest

#16 Post by EricK »

Sydney wrote: Curious: what is the lowest open note and the highest fretted note?
Syd
That will depend on the exact model and tuning being used. I have a 12-string Grand Stick that's made out of bamboo. Because it's a dedicated tapping instrument, the open strings are damped so they don't play. The lowest string is tuned to low B of a 5-string bass. The first tapped note is low C, below E on a normal bass guitar. The highest note with my tuning is C6 which is the 20th fret of a normally stringed guitar.

-Eric

Scott Brochu

#17 Post by Scott Brochu »

I play country music so the steel guitar for country.
Now as i look as they play in the video maybe it can't do that.

I just think it's cool :mrgreen:
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#18 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

EricK wrote:
tammojsmit wrote:Going by responses from the past, I would say Omni12 or Omni12TallBoy, complete with mid and piezos. Add a pair of wheels on the bottom for dolly style cartage.

TomS
I was hoping for something smaller than that. However, I think that might be a good solution. Lots of Stick players gig with this little thing:

-Eric
Comparing an O12 to a Briefcase is like comparing an Abrams tank to a VW beetle. Even an O10.5 would bitch-slap a Briefcase. Make it an airhead, add a second cab for big rooms.

EricK

#19 Post by EricK »

I want to thank everyone for making me feel welcome here and for the great discussion. I was looking at the BFM web site again and something caught my eye that I hadn't seen before. What I saw was the taller version of the AutoTuba. That is an appealing size. Has anyone ever added mids and highs to that? I saw on the forum that you shouldn't use horns and direct radiators together. I'd like to understand this better. Does it mean that if you use a horn sub you can't use directs anywhere or just in the bass? Could you use a horn sub with small direct boxes with mids and highs? Could you make the tall AT a little taller with mids and highs? So many questions!

Thanks for all the answers.

-Eric

DJ Big Ronn

#20 Post by DJ Big Ronn »

Bitch-slap !!! :slap:

EricK

#21 Post by EricK »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Comparing an O12 to a Briefcase is like comparing an Abrams tank to a VW beetle. Even an O10.5 would bitch-slap a Briefcase. Make it an airhead, add a second cab for big rooms.
I suspected that this would be true. What's an "airhead" that you are referring to? Is that one of your designs?

Thanks,

-Eric

Bekr

#22 Post by Bekr »

An airhead is just a cab with space built in for an amp. Essentially just extend the sides up an extra few inches and stick a second top on it. For excessive amounts of flexibility you could make a tiny 2U case and latch it to the top when you need it, use it separately when you don't.

AntonZ

#23 Post by AntonZ »

"Air head" is a cab with extension that allows you to include a separate amp head within the cab, essentialy a cab that can be turned into a combo by including an amp.

Personally I am not too fond of that, but then again I like to toy around with different combinations of amps and cabs (playing e-bass guitar). It sure would fit the one-trip-from-car-to-stage approach.

Don't be afraid of the piezo's. As long as you use them in vertical arrays they are in a different league than single piezo's in poorly designed cheap cabs. It is dirt cheap to try, move on to another configuration if it doesn't work for you. I'd say try an O10.5 with melded array first. With your skills and tools it would be an easy, fast and cheap build. Worst case you pass it on with no financial loss and go for a larger O12 or O15. Do get piezo's from a recommended source, there are some models out there that are crap even in multiples.

Sydney

#24 Post by Sydney »

Some of my favorite stick performance are from TL w King Crimson.
Like "Sleepless" from "Three of a Perfect Pair"
That track has incredible stick throb opening ( good bass test - as are the stuff from his solo work like "The Bear"
I always seen TL slap or pop it.
Though it sounds like it's a very soft pull action on tunes like "The Sheltering Sky"

I have seen him use his wooden stick extensions on a conventional 4 strict bass - unique sound.

Sydney

just some thoughts...

#25 Post by Sydney »

Eric
The drawback with horns is they are not small. The horn length determines extension.
The T18 is about the smallest I've seen; some are using it for light PA work.
It's cube-like dimensions and the fact that it was designed to be used against in a corner could be a deal breaker for you.
Hearing the low end of the stick; I would be tempted to use the smallest horn that a 10" HL10 would fit in.
Downside: It is a discontinued driver ( possible replacement problem ), and the additional weight.
This driver in an AT is a (crazy?) idea. It's column-like shape has some advantages. Perhaps put a strap on it?
I noticed this on the AT sales page:
"AutoTuba also may be used as a home or pro-sound sub, where Tuba 18 is not quite enough but Tuba 24 and Table Tuba are too much."
David G assembled six AT's each loaded with HL10 and the results surprised many.

Perhaps some else can make a recommendation for a top; because this ONLY takes care of the bass.

* A TL STICK demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOUkl46wzHo

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: just some thoughts...

#26 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Sydney wrote:Eric
The drawback with horns is they are not small. The horn length determines extension.
Not being familiar with the instrument I can't say from experience, but if that 2x5 briefcase is adequate to handle the low end in small rooms then an HL10c loaded TAT with an OTop 12 above would be sufficient for a stadium. :shock:
Based on the briefcase working at all I'd say O10.5, O10, and O12 would be the ones to consider.

Sydney

#27 Post by Sydney »

then an HL10c loaded TAT with an OTop 12 above would be sufficient for a stadium.
:lol:
I did say "This driver in an AT is a (crazy?) idea."
And prejudiced by ( and as a replacement for ) a stage setup that Levin uses here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcbSjC9tAY8
Maybe someone ( Eric? ) can describe that gear...
but if that 2x5 briefcase is adequate...

Well, he mentioned an AT earlier - even 1 MCM 8 in an AT ( I'm guessing ) would be greatly superior by virtue of Vd alone.
Yup, an AT with a 10 is over the top
Sorry, one of the symptoms of my form of insanity is dissatisfaction with adequate.
:P

EricK

Re: just some thoughts...

#28 Post by EricK »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Not being familiar with the instrument I can't say from experience, but if that 2x5 briefcase is adequate to handle the low end in small rooms then an HL10c loaded TAT with an OTop 12 above would be sufficient for a stadium. :shock:
Based on the briefcase working at all I'd say O10.5, O10, and O12 would be the ones to consider.
I didn't mean to imply that the Briefcase does a good job! The best sounding Stick rig I've heard was a Bag End 15" coax system. The Stick has a full range, think 6 or 8-string bass with a guitar. Even better, check out this video of my teacher Greg Howard doing an amazing job on "All Along the Watchtower" (With his eyes closed the whole time!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcvnRhT2NZQ

From bass all the way up to higher than a guitar. Even a keyboard sound sometimes. The instrument is a challenge for a rig maker!
Sydney wrote:Maybe someone ( Eric? ) can describe that gear...
Tony uses Ampeg equipment mostly with heavy compression. He is using the Stick as a bass instrument and does not need the full range that I'm after. I will be a solo player using the whole instrument.

Sydney wrote:Perhaps some else can make a recommendation for a top; because this ONLY takes care of the bass.
I am even looking at an SLA with a tall AT. Would that have high clarity and presence? An OT10.5 with an AT would probably work very well but I don't think I need even that much volume. I'm doing the "small and low" parts of the trade-off. I don't need to smack my audience in the face with Bach, Mozart, and acoustic Pat Metheny material. I just want the full sound of the instrument to come out.

Thanks for all the replies, this is very helpful!

-Eric

DJPhatman

#29 Post by DJPhatman »

After listening to a few you-tube videos of performances, I think that you might need to stay away from piezos. If you use any distortion effects, IIRC, piezos don't like it at all. Tim A and Bill should chime in on this, but an O12 or an O15 will be your best choices for a full-range cabinet. If you play a lot of the really low bass, go O15.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Sydney

#30 Post by Sydney »

I will be a solo player using the whole instrument.
I noticed that some stick players ( like TL ) pick a range instead of what you are doing.
It's an eclectic instrument ( I'm still waiting for a Whamola player to ask how to hook up to a horn ).
I am even looking at an SLA with a tall AT. Would that have high clarity and presence? An OT10.5 with an AT would probably work very well but I don't think I need even that much volume.
And here I thought you had ideas to "combine a Tuba sub with a high sensitivity MTM."
A David is too big and stationary. This would have to be smaller and industrial and mobile.
An portable David crossed with an AT:
a PorTA-d?
:mrgreen: