Project No. 2

BrentEvans

Re: Project No. 2

#16 Post by BrentEvans »

If I recall correctly, there were 2 in the main hall, a 9' steinway, and a 9' Kawai. I actually preferred the Kawai - much firmer feel. The Organ hall had a 9' Steinway, as did the choral and symphonic practice rooms. There was a 7' steinway in the percussion practice room, and they have two organ practice rooms with smaller pipe organs. Most of the professors had studio grands in their teaching studio offices, and there were at least 10 individual rooms with 7' or 9' steinways. Three Waves Practice rooms, too, those were fun. You could adjust the acoustics from dead to dripping wet with a wall panel. It was great.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

AntonZ

#17 Post by AntonZ »

Ron K wrote:Ohh those are absolutely gorgeous pianos. I can see why they would want to keep it locked up! The 9' concert grand is a real gem. Fun to try and mic correctly.
We have a Steinway grand at home, very nice. It's not a 9', that's just too much bass in a normal size house. The kids are not allowed to play alone in that room.

Mikey

#18 Post by Mikey »

BrentEvans wrote:
Mikey wrote:There seems to be room on the back wall for the DR200s, which you could actually attach to the ceiling if they don't want you to attach to the panelling.
I'd love to do it that way but I'm conerned that the chandeliers would block the sound. Or vibrate from it.
They'd be attached to the ceiling, so they can be brought forward, to the front of the stage, which would also help your feedback problem.

I'd suggest staining the cabs to match the decor instead of making them white, so that they're less intrusive. It's a permanent install, so Duratex is definately not needed, for any of the cabs ... it would be a totally unnecessary expense.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

Sydney

Re: Pianos

#19 Post by Sydney »

RE: Pianos
Just had to include the work of a good friend of mine:
http://www.americanpianofactory.net/rr.htm

BrentEvans

#20 Post by BrentEvans »

Gorgeous work on those pianos to your friend, Sydney. I have a 1940s 5' Ludwig grand at home myself. It was rebuilt dnd restored by a local company that does excellent work. I used to hang out at their showroom and mess around, they loved it because apparently nobody that comes in there actually knows how to play. Anyway, the guy was showing me around the shop one day and I saw it sitting there, kind of dusty, but beautiful nonetheless. I asked if it was for sale, and found out that it belonged to a private party and was just in for storage. I asked to play it, and he let me, at which time I fell in love. Two years later, it was still there when I went to actually buy one, and asked again if it was for sale. He called the owner, and they let it go for $3000. :shock: I wrote a check, and now it's mine. I love it.

Back on topic:

Forum member Brew brought over some cabs for me to hear this afternoon. I'll elaborate in the Reviews forum, but 2 DR200s, split on either side at the front of the stage, was absolutely perfect for the room. Transparent sound, great volume, even coverage. It's just what the doctor ordered. We talked about TLAHS and other options, but I feel that the DRs gave exactly what I want to hear. Sure, they're way overkill (we gave them some gas :evil:) but I like. See the other thread for my full impressions. I'll be revising my budget over the next few days to MAKE this happen!
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.