A long time coming

Bob Triplett

A long time coming

#1 Post by Bob Triplett »

Hello to all, my name is Bob Triplett. I've been lurking around here for quite some time. In fact, I remember discovering the website before the titan subs were on it. I was blown away by the concepts and the discussions in the forum. Then one day (pre titan), in a small town in Kansas, I met Leland Crooks. He has a complete bf system he is setting up for his son's band. Again, I'm blown away, this time by the sound.
I moved to the St. Louis, MO area over two years ago and at long last put a pair of bf cabs together. T39's 24" wide loaded with d'max4012's. Again, I'm blown away, this time with the rest of the band.
I've got an AT on the workbench now and will be going for a pair of dr 280's soon.
Thank you all for the advice,tips, and everything on the forum and thanks Bill for the putting the whole thing together! Bob
Attachments
IMG_3651small.jpg
IMG_3653small.jpg

djohnson573

Re: A long time coming

#2 Post by djohnson573 »

Awesome looking cabs! :clap:
Dennis

Built/Own:
- 4 x Titan 39 (14"W) BP102 loaded
- 2 x TLAH
- 4 x OT12 Deltalite 2512 loaded
On Deck:
- 3 Auto Tubas

AntonZ

#3 Post by AntonZ »

+1, great looking Titans.

You sure you need DR280s? They are good and loud, but rather large cubes. You wouldn't be the first to start DR280 then go to 250 (or start DR250, then replace with DR200). I for one am glad my bass cab is a 250, not a 280.

LelandCrooks

#4 Post by LelandCrooks »

shufflemystuff wrote: in a small town in Kansas
Which crazy ass drunk show was that? (Not me, the attendees.) Chanute maybe? Man, that would have been 4 original t24's, 4 original DR250's with crossfire arrays. We've come a ways since then.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bob Triplett

#5 Post by Bob Triplett »

Yes, it was Chanute! I'm glad you can remember that.

I am not the sole deceider on these projects. (Is that spelt right?), but I will take the smaller cabs into consideration. We really could have been fine with 14" T39's and 10" drivers, but the parts purchasing got out of sequence and we had 4012's (at a real good price), so we used them. I really enjoyed building these and somewhere there are photos of the build in progress. I'll see if I can turn them up.

Again, thanks to all, Bob

Mikey

#6 Post by Mikey »

AntonZ wrote:You sure you need DR280s? They are good and loud, but rather large cubes.
When the new 3012HO becomes available, the DR280s are likely to gain renewed popularity.

Ooops ... my bad ... it's available now!
Last edited by Mikey on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."

Albert Einstein

Bob Triplett

#7 Post by Bob Triplett »

Cargo space is not a problem. A 280 can be mounted on a pole, can't it?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

shufflemystuff wrote:Cargo space is not a problem. A 280 can be mounted on a pole, can't it?
It can, but it's too large for one person to handle. If you don't actually need its capabilities you're better off with DR200 or DR250 or OTop 12.

bgavin

#9 Post by bgavin »

The real advantage to the DR280 is the lower cutoff frequency.

The advantage to DR200 is small size and sweet sound, stacked in multiples.
As noted above, this is difficult at best with DR280 due to size and weight.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

Haysus

#10 Post by Haysus »

let me know next time your up and running, I'm in st.louis and would love to hear them.

Bob Triplett

#11 Post by Bob Triplett »

Next gig is in the "back bar" at Laurie's Place in Edwardsville,IL , Sat. Mar14th 9pm-1am. I'll be there plenty before the first set, so definitely stop by!

I'm going to take a real good look at the 200's. From what you all are saying I'm gettin the idea that 4x 200 would be more the ticket than a pair of 280's

Tom Smit

#12 Post by Tom Smit »

Aaaaab....sooo...lutely. 'specially if you're not going to run several DR280's. :D

Toms
TomS