DR300/T36 System

Alan Star

DR300/T36 System

#1 Post by Alan Star »

Just thought to share a few foto's of this set up, half is mine and half some friends. I just made 4 new T36 (in the middle) to go with theirs and also for a smaller set up I am putting together.

This was the first time we had this all set up, I think in the future we'll use high staging and stack cluster the subs together in the center rather than a long row.

bgavin

Re: DR300/T36 System

#2 Post by bgavin »

Wow.
That is some serious noise...
Very impressive.

:hyper:
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

bitSmasher

#3 Post by bitSmasher »

How much dust did the subs collect during the gig? :lol: I like the speaker stands too, very sci-fi.

LelandCrooks

#4 Post by LelandCrooks »

Thunder down under. :twisted:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

haydar

#5 Post by haydar »

Alan how many watts (electrical source) required to drive those beasts?
I've seen small portable generator there :mrgreen:

Alan Star

#6 Post by Alan Star »

bitSmasher wrote:How much dust did the subs collect during the gig?
A lot :!: That is another big bonus with these designs is the drivers are totally sealed off from dust. :clap:
Built ...
1x T18
2x T39 HL10c
4x Omni 10.5
2x OmniTop 15

Owned ...
4x DR300

Alan Star

#7 Post by Alan Star »

haydar wrote:Alan how many watts (electrical source) required to drive those beasts?
I've seen small portable generator there :mrgreen:

We actually had a 3 phase 20kva unit there for this show but we have run a similar sized set up off a good quality 7kva gennie (the one in the foto) before without any problems.
Built ...
1x T18
2x T39 HL10c
4x Omni 10.5
2x OmniTop 15

Owned ...
4x DR300

bitSmasher

#8 Post by bitSmasher »

Alan Star wrote:A lot :!: That is another big bonus with these designs is the drivers are totally sealed off from dust. :clap:
Hah yeah, 2 weeks ago we loaded 8 CV L36s in to the truck for an outdoor party. During load in I pulled at least 20 bottles and schooner glasses out of them from the last gig done in a club, then on the pack up I had to pour out large quantities of sand and gravel as the dancefloor had amassed mounds of it in to them. But at least the design keeps everything easy to keep clean 8)

Dave Non-Zero

#9 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

Lookin sweet! :noob:

How was the balance between the tops and subs? i would guess the dr300s would need throttled back a touch for dj type music? ive run 6x24" t48 and 4xdr280 and thought that the tops still matched or slightly outran the subs for dj stuff.
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

Alan Star

#10 Post by Alan Star »

Dave Non-Zero wrote:Lookin sweet! :noob:

How was the balance between the tops and subs? i would guess the dr300s would need throttled back a touch for dj type music?
Correct, there was a fair bit of phase cancellation going on in the sub bass as well which didn't help, hence wanting a more central block rather than a row.

Seems, can never have enough sub for this sort of thing.
Built ...
1x T18
2x T39 HL10c
4x Omni 10.5
2x OmniTop 15

Owned ...
4x DR300

Alan Star

#11 Post by Alan Star »

Here's a little system I setup for a small party last weekend. Just working with what I had, I felt like the omni's needed some help keeping up with the tuba's in the midbass. So I have the tuba's going up to 80hz, the dr300's from 80hz to 300hz and the omni's from 300hz and up, which I feel allowed them to play louder and clearer. Was really quite happy with the way this all sounded.

Last edited by Alan Star on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zack Brock

#12 Post by Zack Brock »

Neat setup! What made you decide to build DR300's instead of a smaller series DR cabinet? From the picture it looks like the dance floor was pretty close to the DR300's and Bill always says they are made for high power, long throw applications.

Also, you intend to paint them a consistent color at some point? Or are you going for a rugged look on purpose? :wink:
Zack Brock
Authorized Builder, Northeast Florida (Greater Jacksonville Area)
WavePulse Acoustics | zackbrock@macpulse.com | http://www.bestbasscabs.com/

Alan Star

#13 Post by Alan Star »

bassbrock wrote:Neat setup! What made you decide to build DR300's instead of a smaller series DR cabinet? From the picture it looks like the dance floor was pretty close to the DR300's and Bill always says they are made for high power, long throw applications.

Also, you intend to paint them a consistent color at some point? Or are you going for a rugged look on purpose? :wink:
They were originally intended for a festival type set up as in the first pictures, I've mentioned a few times that if starting from scratch I probably would have built dr280's. I don't think from 80hz to 300hz that the dispersion is a problem close up and another bonus of this way, is they are coupled directly to the ground and to the tuba's.

I'm not sure about colour scheme yet (which is why I haven't painted tuba's yet) but I quite like the stain effect on the omni's and then I have put a couple coats of floor sealer on them. I might do a combination of that, the maroon and black.

Christian

#14 Post by Christian »

Looking good, Alan. Now, how much is it gonna cost to get that entire rig to Black Rock this year?

I would be interested to hear a bit more about your bass issues running the Tubas in a row? I 'sometimes' feel (my opinion is constantly changing!) that I'm losing response doing that exact same thing. I am unable to determine if this is simply a result of room modes or perhaps a stacking problem.

As for the use of DR300s as a 'kick-bin'; I also use a 'kick-bin' now and agree that it makes a world of difference.

And did you use the Waves Maxxbass? Does it work as well on a large system?

Christian
4 Tuba 36
2 Omni 15
4 Omni 2x10
3 Omni 1x10
12 Tuba 30
2 Omnitop 2x12
14 Omnitop 1x12
1 Autotuba

Alan Star

#15 Post by Alan Star »

Hey Christian, I can't imagine how much it would cost to get it to Black Rock City, more than I can afford just now I am sure ! As much as I would love to do that.

I think the obvious problem with running tuba's in a long row, (especially for outdoors but I imagine for indoors as well) is that the outer subs phase each other out either side of the power alley. It's breaking the rule of either less than 2ft apart or more than 56ft as per Bill's sticky re: sub placement. So, this was very noticeable, lots of bass in the power alley but to either side it started to drop off quite significantly.

This weekend coming up we will have this same set up (as per first foto's) again for a small festival and we are planning to use a higher stage and will stack and cluster the subs, either in a big central block or vee. With all the mouths pointing in to the center and see how that goes.

I have found the waves maxxbass works quite well with my T18 and I imagine also with T39's etc, I don't feel it makes a huge difference with the T36's playing really loud altho I haven't really spent heaps of time with it and am a bit cautious about applying too much of the effect as sometimes I feel it can take away rather than add. It's really something you have to play with and fine tune, which i haven't had a lot of time to do but would like to. I am using the little half space unit as an insert but i imagine it would be easier to get results using the full size unit directly in the signal chain.