DR300/T36 System

Christian

Re: DR300/T36 System

#16 Post by Christian »

Interesting about the bass box stacking. I think you have read the whitepaper on Void Acoustic''s (Mogal) site about long arrays of subs and the results if you delay the outermost boxes in the line to help counteract some of the phase issues? Its an interesting idea/experiment, and one I've not had the chance to try yet as I will need yet another DSP to pull it off. Keep us posted on the different options you try with your T36 array.

I just bought the Maxxbass 107 - the full size one. I'm gonna use it this weekend, as you suggest, directly in the signal chain....but I think I'm gonna try it on my O-top12s after reading about your results using it on a large sub stack. ....or maybe I'll use it on my kickbins. My tubas produce plenty of sound at 35hz, so I think it would be wasted on them, but I would love to fill in at 60-140hz. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bill, can we get a box that will produce the extension of a tuba with the output of a titan? :fingers: :lol:

Anyway looking good down under! Always nice to see big tuba rigs being run for the festival folks!

Did you look into the Ciare or Beyma options for new drivers?

Christian
4 Tuba 36
2 Omni 15
4 Omni 2x10
3 Omni 1x10
12 Tuba 30
2 Omnitop 2x12
14 Omnitop 1x12
1 Autotuba

Alan Star

#17 Post by Alan Star »

Ciare and Beyma, both very expensive in Oz, the Ciare I5SW looks like quite a driver though. have found some B&C 15PS100 going cheap here. Anyone care to comment on how they think they may perform in T36 ?

Specification
Nominal Diameter 380 (15) mm (in)
Nominal Impedance (1) 8 Ohm
Minimum Impedence 6.5 Ohm
Nominal Power Handling (2) 700 W
Continuous Power Handling (3) 1400 W
Sensitivity (1W/1m) (4) 94.5 dB
Frequency Range 35 - 1000 Hz
Voice Coil Diameter 100 (4) mm (in)
Winding Material Copper
Former Material Glass Fibre
Winding Depth 21 (0.83) mm (in)
Magnetic Gap Depth 10.5 (0.4) mm (in)
Flux Density 1.05 T
Thiele & Small Parameters
Fs 33 Hz
Re 5.3 Ohm
Qes 0.33
Qms 4.8
Qts 0.31
Vas 152 (5.3) dm3 (ft3)
Sd 855 (132.5) cm2 (in2)
Eta Zero 1.8 %
Xmax +/- 8 mm
Xvar +/- 8 mm
Mms 145 g
Bl 22.5 Txm
Le 2.1 mH

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#18 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Alan Star wrote: have found some B&C 15PS100 going cheap here. Anyone care to comment on how they think they may perform in T36 ?
They should do well. Here they cost $50 more than the 3015LF.

Alan Star

#19 Post by Alan Star »

Ok, thanks Bill, that's good to hear.

Six months ago the b&c would have been more here as well but now with the exchange rate changes they are cheaper as they are already in the country, I think I would prefer the higher power handling as well for my application.

DJPhatman

#20 Post by DJPhatman »

Alan Star wrote:Ok, thanks Bill, that's good to hear.

Six months ago the b&c would have been more here as well but now with the exchange rate changes they are cheaper as they are already in the country, I think I would prefer the higher power handling as well for my application.
The power spec is total :bull:

Putting more than 350-400 watts into it won't do anything but make heat. Power compression will be set in by then.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Alan Star

#21 Post by Alan Star »

Perhaps so, but nevertheless, the thermal "power handling" / heat dissipation, I imagine, is not total bs. I think B&C make quality gear hey ? Eminence Definimax 15LF also has a power rating of 700 watts, is a similar driver to the 15PS100 in that respect. It is rated to handle more power than the 3015LF before damage might occur, I imagine because it can cope with, and dissipate, heat better.

This is what I want, these cabs will get run at full tilt for 24 hrs straight, each time. Dj's will push them as hard as they can. I would rather have that safety net as as back up than rely strictly on limiters.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#22 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Alan Star wrote: It is rated to handle more power than the 3015LF before damage might occur, I imagine because it can cope with, and dissipate, heat better.
Moot, since Vd is the limiting factor for output, not Pe. If anything a driver with a large ceramic magnet will tend to retain heat more than a neo with a very small magnet and a large heatsink to wick heat away. The main advantage to higher Pe is the ability to better withstand abuse.

DJPhatman

#23 Post by DJPhatman »

Alan Star wrote:Perhaps so, but nevertheless, the thermal "power handling" / heat dissipation, I imagine, is not total bs. I think B&C make quality gear hey ? Eminence Definimax 15LF also has a power rating of 700 watts, is a similar driver to the 15PS100 in that respect. It is rated to handle more power than the 3015LF before damage might occur, I imagine because it can cope with, and dissipate, heat better.

This is what I want, these cabs will get run at full tilt for 24 hrs straight, each time. Dj's will push them as hard as they can. I would rather have that safety net as as back up than rely strictly on limiters.
Limiters are not just for total or RMS power, but for the 3-10db transient bursts of power that is built in to the amp (dynamic headroom). this power burst is usually what cooks voice coils, and exceeds Xlim. A system without a limiter, properly set up, is a blown driver waiting to happen. No longer a matter of if, but when magic smoke will appear. :roll:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

BrentEvans

#24 Post by BrentEvans »

DJPhatman wrote: A system without a limiter, properly set up,
Aren't those phrases mutually exclusive?
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Sydney

#25 Post by Sydney »

Aren't those phrases mutually exclusive?
Not necessarily. Therea are forum members old enough ( no names mentioned :wink: ) to have operated high power systems prior to voltage limiters. Also to have been placed in situations w/o limiters. Their experience of gain structure and system capabilities and limitations is their guide.
Truck Rental companies install governors to limit max speed, European autos have high speed cutouts that kill the vehicle at a set speed, even though the vehicle is capable of much higher speed and is advertised as such.
Because of course they can't be sure of the skills of the operator.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#26 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Sydney wrote: European autos have high speed cutouts that kill the vehicle at a set speed,
All vehicles have electronic speed governors, programmed into their black boxes. BTW, said black boxes also have memory, just like the ones on airliners. If you have an accident that memory can be accessed to see how fast you were going.

Sydney

#27 Post by Sydney »

One thing that some might find useful is to have a peak power indicator.
Speaker Builder 2/84 "Easy Peak Power Indicator Revisted" showed an implementation of the National Semiconductor LM3915 ( LM3916 ) Dot/Bar Display Driver to drive a 7 LED display to indicate the power at the amp or speaker terminal for $5 per meter.
Others are experimenting with monitoring the driver temp directly.

villagebeats

#28 Post by villagebeats »

looks like a massive sound :)

WiSounds

#29 Post by WiSounds »

Sick.
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen: