started the first of 3 plans, omni 12 tallboy

john naayen

started the first of 3 plans, omni 12 tallboy

#1 Post by john naayen »

okay got the last set of plans, sat down and went over then 4 or 5 times, started the cutting and stoped to have coffee and warm up. damb my feet was cooooold. there is definatly no insulation in the floor of my work area lol. well back out to start the basic box. so on the first day i got all the lumber cut for 2 omni 12 tb and assembled the basic box.

day 2 turned the heat on a little earlyer this time, assembled a little more, baffles and horn are in place and its time to let it all dry for now. Nice plans by the way Bill, my hat is off to you. verry easy to read and follow. i will add more as it gets done.
http://s497.photobucket.com/albums/rr33 ... 20tallboy/
so far 2 omni12tallboys made

DJPhatman

Re: started the first of 3 plans, omni 12 tallboy

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

Why did you use OSB? You do realize that the cab will not be nearly as strong as Bill intended in his design. OSB is not much different from MDF, except it's a little stronger along its length. That's why it's used mainly for roofing and rough in walls. If it gets wet, it will start to separate, just not as fast as MDF.

You really should follow the directions, and get yourself some 5-ply plywood to build with. I made my 1st WH8 with the cheat HD 1/2" plywood, it came out OK but with a lot of voids in the plys. :wall:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

vlad335

#3 Post by vlad335 »

Agreed. Looks like you did a great job on those boxes but didn't follow the plans on the correct material. STOP! Don't waste anymore time or money and get some plywood!

From the Omni 12 plans.
The box is constructed from 1/2 inch plywood, braced to remain vibration-free at very high power levels. You may use either softwood (spruce or pine) plywood or Baltic birch. With a carpet finish I recommend softwood, as it is lighter, cheaper and easier to find than quality Baltic birch. You can build the Omni from a single 4x8 foot sheet. Be sure to get a grade with at least 5 plies, but don’t waste money on high-priced AC grade or marine plywood. With a paint finish you should use Baltic birch, as with softwood the grain will show through. Make sure your birch is in fact Northern White Birch, either Canadian or European, with a thick outer face, and not cheap Asian ‘birch’, which has a thin veneer outer face. Quality birch is usually found at lumberyards that cater to kitchen cabinetmakers, and comes in 5x5 foot sheets. You’ll need two sheets for one Omni, three for a pair. Poplar plywood is also good for a painted finish, and it is a lighter than birch, but it is also rather rare.
No mention of OSB. Your cabs are going to come apart over time.
Currently running:
Four Titan 48's, Six Omnitop 12's, Two Wedgehorn 10's, Omni12 2-10

Also Built: Omni15 Tallboy, Omni10.5.

'The hardest material on earth is the human skull'. How do we know this? Try pounding a new idea into one.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

vlad335 wrote:STOP! Don't waste anymore time or money and get some plywood!
+1000. OSB is worthless as a speaker building material.
Follow The Plans! :horse: