Another New Guy Seeking Your Help

David Carter

Re: Another New Guy Seeking Your Help

#16 Post by David Carter »

SoundInMotionDJ wrote:
jcmbowman wrote:I'm in agreement with tim - go with the DR200 if weight/storage is a concern. Otherwise, I'm a fan of the 250's ability to work in smaller venues without a sub.
A new DR200 with the new porting is Darn Close(tm) to the low end extension of the older DR250 design.
Man, now I KNOW I'm going to build some DR200's as soon as time/money allow! I wish all these new developments would have ocurred before I went and bought a new (to me) house. All the house projects are killing me! :)
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

djohnson573

#17 Post by djohnson573 »

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the great feedback. I had been looking at SPL charts until my eyes were starting to bleed trying to make a decision. Good info on the HL-10C too. The price is very reasonable and I was willing to go there, but the extra 10 lbs per cabinet is a deal (and back) breaker for me. So, I'll grab the DR200/T-39 plans and start studying.

I've heard stories of Bill's subs causing nose bleeds and making people puke, but this is the first mention I have seen of exploding heads. That should go well with the light show. :P

Thank again to all who posted for the excellent advice.
Dennis

Built/Own:
- 4 x Titan 39 (14"W) BP102 loaded
- 2 x TLAH
- 4 x OT12 Deltalite 2512 loaded
On Deck:
- 3 Auto Tubas

Mikey

#18 Post by Mikey »

djohnson573 wrote:I'll grab the DR200/T-39 plans and start studying.
If you're only using one single-driver T39 and your amp is 4ohm-capable, then you probably want to get the BP102-4 driver, so the cab is 6 ohms. If you use the BP102-8, your T39 will be 10 ohms.

Tom Smit

#19 Post by Tom Smit »

djohnson573 wrote: So, I'll grab the DR200/T-39 plans and start studying.
Aw man, it sounds like you know music....and you want to build your own cabs. So therefore, may I kindly suggest that you get the CD? (it will be a money-saving action)

TomS
TomS

djohnson573

#20 Post by djohnson573 »

tammojsmit wrote: Aw man, it sounds like you know music....and you want to build your own cabs. So therefore, may I kindly suggest that you get the CD? (it will be a money-saving action)

TomS
I have seriously considered that, but I'm afraid I would decend into analysis paralysis again and not be able to get started. Probably better for me to stick to the recommendations given here than to get all those plans in front of me. :P
Dennis

Built/Own:
- 2 x TLAH
On Deck:
- 3 Auto Tubas

Sydney

#21 Post by Sydney »

No one else has weighed in
Because sometimes it's better to get the experiences of those who have been there, vs an opinion.
I formed one early, because of your stated limitations. :roll:
I need light weight gear. I’m no spring chicken,...a single 20 amp circuit
Because you are hardly in a position to mandate several circuits, you are forced to get as much efficiency as possible with the 1 you get, so use multiple small cabs to get sensitivity up...So multiple skinny T39's ( 2 minimum 4 ideally )
* I am kind of surprised that the OT12's didn't get a bigger push

djohnson573

#22 Post by djohnson573 »

Sydney wrote:
Because you are hardly in a position to mandate several circuits, you are forced to get as much efficiency as possible with the 1 you get, so use multiple small cabs to get sensitivity up...So multiple skinny T39's ( 2 minimum 4 ideally )
* I am kind of surprised that the OT12's didn't get a bigger push
Thanks Sidney +1,

I'm in total agreement there. I also feel like multiple small cabs will give the system more flexibility for different venues. And its not that I'm not capable of moving large cabs around (can still deadlift close to 300 lbs), I just don't want to. Right this moment ,I'm leaning towards an initial build of 4 - 14" T-39s and 2 - DR200s.
Dennis

Built/Own:
- 2 x TLAH
On Deck:
- 3 Auto Tubas

AntonZ

#23 Post by AntonZ »

Probably mentioned up in the thread, do count on the need of 31 band EQ and some means to do RTA out in an open field to get the EQ dialed in on those DRs.

Behringer DEQ2496 plus ECM mic is an affordable way to get both in one box, although some people have had reliability issues. My first one was DOA, the replacement (under warranty) has worked flawless since.

djohnson573

#24 Post by djohnson573 »

AntonZ wrote:Probably mentioned up in the thread, do count on the need of 31 band EQ and some means to do RTA out in an open field to get the EQ dialed in on those DRs.

Behringer DEQ2496 plus ECM mic is an affordable way to get both in one box, although some people have had reliability issues. My first one was DOA, the replacement (under warranty) has worked flawless since.
Roger that. Based upon many recommendations, I've got a DRPA on my shopping list. I've watched them go on eBay for just a little more than the Behringer. It will probably be Summer '09 before I get to that point, and who knows what will be released between now and then.
Dennis

Built/Own:
- 2 x TLAH
On Deck:
- 3 Auto Tubas

Tim A

#25 Post by Tim A »

djohnson573 wrote: and who knows what will be released between now and then.

+1. I am still holding onto the hope that Behringer will release an all-in-one box like the DRPA. Even if it costs the same, that's ok. The DRPA is user friendly and gives you everything in one box, but it doesn't have phase reversing or a brick-wall limiter. The Behringers are more flexible and have the aforementioned features, but you need 2 boxes. I'm getting by for now with my Smason 31band A/D EQ, but want to upgrade.

Gregory East

#26 Post by Gregory East »

The height of the trailer is kind of important in working out how many of each can fit. If it's possible to trade on a 6ft long trailer it would create a whole different puzzle too.

djohnson573

#27 Post by djohnson573 »

Gregory East wrote:The height of the trailer is kind of important in working out how many of each can fit. If it's possible to trade on a 6ft long trailer it would create a whole different puzzle too.
Agreed. I saw on another post that someone referred to it as Tetris Skills. I thought that was pretty funny.
Dennis

Built/Own:
- 2 x TLAH
On Deck:
- 3 Auto Tubas

Sydney

#28 Post by Sydney »

djohnson573: I don't know how much experience you have had in equalizing a system and a room:
So I preface my suggestion with that:
There are satisfied users of Behringer products, but when I see:
although some people have had reliability issues.
I have to weigh the question: Does the possibility of failure during a paying performance ( where your rep is on the line ), outweigh the inexpensive solution.
The last thing I want is gear failure at show time.
Sorry to say it, but virtually every piece of Behringer gear ( I've seen used by others and myself ) starts to show the results of being constructed with inexpensive mechanical parts.
My CX2310 for instance ( which has never been hauled and banged around ) has started developing problems indicative of switch failures after 2 years. Other Behringer gear ( owned by friends ) frankly aren't as robust as their ( more expensive ) competition.

Not to be a Ludite: I think you can do what you need to do with the appropriate use of a 1/3 octave graphic eq.
Peavy makes a model with red LED's on each slider that indicate strength at that band, that I find very intuitive and easy to use in live subdued light environment.
Since many times I run the gear that already at the venue: I see the choices ( for better or worse ) made in equipment purchases, all of them have had graphic eq, including university auditoriums.
So I have been able to cope with just mix board EQ and graphic/parametric EQ for decades and ( so far ) gotten complements, and recommendations.
* I'll probably catch it from the satisfied Behringer users, but whatever works ( or doesn't :cry: )