Hello everyone! Ready to give me your input?

Frankenspeakers

#61 Post by Frankenspeakers »

REDLINE wrote:Well everyone keeps talking about different kinds of birch, but I don't know how to find any of those. I stopped by the Home Depot to take a look, and all it said was just birch. A single 4x8 1/2" think sheet of "birch" would cost me $29.95. I have no idea what kind it is, but I figured that is what I would use.

As far as the rat fur goes, for some reason I really like it and I think it looks really professional. My old speakers weren't rat fur, and I thought they looked shitty (although maybe they weren't duratex cause they were really cheap), so I'll head on over to GC and ask what speakers are duratex so I can see what the material looks like.
Thats the chinese mystery wood.

Duratex is very similar to the finish you find on EAW & the hi-end JBL stuff. Doubt if you will find that in GC. Google Duratex & Acrytech for info. Theyre in Fl.
There is no technical problem however complex, that cannot be solved or finessed by a direct application of brute strength and ignorance.

"Gimme the hammer... Naaaw not that one, the freakin' big one- I'll MAKE it fit!"

Ron K

#62 Post by Ron K »

GC carries the JBL MRX Line and they are covered with a material similar to Duratex called Duraflex. It's probably Duratex renamed by JBL!
Ever since I replaced sex with food I cant even get into my own pants!

DJPhatman

#63 Post by DJPhatman »

REDLINE wrote:Well everyone keeps talking about different kinds of birch, but I don't know how to find any of those. I stopped by the Home Depot to take a look, and all it said was just birch. A single 4x8 1/2" think sheet of "birch" would cost me $29.95. I have no idea what kind it is, but I figured that is what I would use.
That $hit they sell at Home Depot is the chinese veneered birch. Try Menard's, ask for A/C grade hardwood plywood, or Baltic Birch. True Baltic Birch only comes in 60" X 60" full sheets. But you can also use good hardwood plywood (oak, pine, spruce, poplar) as long as it has at least 5 EQUAL plys, and little or no voids(footballs are ok, but not too many per sheet)
REDLINE wrote:As far as the rat fur goes, for some reason I really like it and I think it looks really professional. My old speakers weren't rat fur, and I thought they looked shitty (although maybe they weren't DuraTex cause they were really cheap), so I'll head on over to GC and ask what speakers are DuraTex so I can see what the material looks like.
GC will have no clue what DuraTex is. But you can get a good idea what it is by looking at a Mackie SWA1501 or 1801 self powered sub. The black bumpy painted covering is DuraTex or a very similar coating.
I just re-did a WedgeHorn in black DuraTex High Build. 1st try was with a hopper gun. I screwed that all up. Sanded it all off and rolled it on with a cheap foam 3" roller. WOW! :shock: It's exactly the finish I wanted, with a "sanded" feel to it. Not rough like sandpaper, just a fine texture to it. I am so pleased with it now. Took me 4X longer to sand off my sprayed on mistake than to roll on 3 coats, using maybe 12-16 oz of DTHB all together. Around 2" gone from the gallon pail.
Last edited by DJPhatman on Tue May 20, 2008 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#64 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DJPhatman wrote:
GC will have no clue what DuraTex is.
Isn't cluelessness a requirement for employment at GC? :wink:

REDLINE

#65 Post by REDLINE »

DJPhatman wrote:
That $hit they sell at Home Depot is the chinese veneered birch. Try Menard's, ask for A/C grade hardwood plywood, or Baltic Birch. True Baltic Birch only comes in 60" X 60" full sheets. But you can also use good hardwood plywood (oak, pine, spruce, poplar) as long as it has at least 5 EQUAL plys, and little or no voids(footballs are ok, but not too many per sheet)
REDLINE wrote:As far as the rat fur goes, for some reason I really like it and I think it looks really professional. My old speakers weren't rat fur, and I thought they looked shitty (although maybe they weren't DuraTex cause they were really cheap), so I'll head on over to GC and ask what speakers are DuraTex so I can see what the material looks like.
GC will have no clue what DuraTex is. But you can get a good idea what it is by looking at a Mackie SWA1501 or 1801 self powered sub. The black bumpy painted covering is DuraTex or a very similar coating.
I just re-did a WedgeHorn in black DuraTex High Build. 1st try was with a hopper gun. I screwed that all up. Sanded it all off and rolled it on with a cheap foam 3" roller. WOW! :shock: It's exactly the finish I wanted, with a "sanded" feel to it. Not rough like sandpaper, just a fine texture to it. I am so pleased with it now. Took me 4X longer to sand off my sprayed on mistake than to roll on 3 coats, using maybe 12-16 oz of DTHB all together. Around 1" gone from the gallon pail.
Thank you for the information, i'll go to Menards and see what they have.

WiSounds

#66 Post by WiSounds »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:The best way to get big bass is not to use expensive drivers in small boxes, it's using inexpensive drivers in big boxes.
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

Chris_Allen

#67 Post by Chris_Allen »

Tim A wrote:Most people when first arriving tend to overbuild, simply because they don't understand exactly what these cabs are capable of.
That has to be the statement of the year.

DaveK

#68 Post by DaveK »

REDLINE wrote:I stopped by the Home Depot to take a look, and all it said was just birch.
Try Lowe's. Arauco/Radiata is about $24 per sheet out here in CA.

WiSounds

#69 Post by WiSounds »

Chris_Allen wrote:
Tim A wrote:Most people when first arriving tend to overbuild, simply because they don't understand exactly what these cabs are capable of.
That has to be the statement of the year.
Unless you are as I am, completely insane. Then even 8 cabs isn't quite enough. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
facebook.com/wisounds
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:If one wants to try something else, well, that's what DIY stands for. :mrgreen:

Tom Smit

#70 Post by Tom Smit »

REDLINE-You are asking a lot of questions, and that is good! You may have noticed all the free, instant advice. Follow it and you will end up with a quality product. Keep progressing. :)

TomS

davygrvy

Re: No free lunch

#71 Post by davygrvy »

davygrvy wrote:
Sydney wrote:* HEY DAVYGRVY - what does one of those AT weigh?
48 pounds with an HL10c done with the old 16" wide/tall dimensions. It wasn't baltic birch, some Chinese import 7-ply birch. So probably add 5 pounds for BB.
I'd like to revise that numbernow that I've completely finished it (pun intended).. 58 pounds now with aluminum edge gaurds, metal ball corner protectors and covered in rat fur.. Horn mouth was stained and coated with clear.. sweet.

For me, it hits the edge of a comfortable carry now.