My First DR250

David Carter

My First DR250

#1 Post by David Carter »

Hey everyone! I guess it's been around 18 months now since I first started lurking around here (thanks to Harley peaking my interest with his posts on ActiveBass.com). About a year ago, I built an Omni 10 for use as a bass cab. It turned out great, and I've been very happy with it.

Last summer I decided I wanted to tackle a couple of DR250's for use as PA mains but that could also be used as bass cabs in a pinch. After slowly acquiring parts a bit at a time, I think I actually started building the week before Thanksgiving. Last night I finally finished the first of the pair. It's got the 20-piezo melded array and two speakon jacks and an all-or-none on/off switch for the tweeters on the back. It's made of 1/2" Arauco from Lowe's (with a few pieces of baltic birch left over from the O10 mixed in).

Here was my setup last night trying to play around with EQ using a Rane ME30B I picked up off eBay (thanks to bgavin for the recommendation). If you look closely you can sort of see the image of Dave Perry's EQ curve on the computer screen. :)

Anyway, I'm thrilled with the sound based on the very limited testing I've been able to do so far! Now I'm anxious to give it a better workout at our next band practice.

Now back to the garage to start working on the second one! :)
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

DAVID_L_PERRY

#2 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

Awesome work Dave. Great looking cabs and a credit to you !

Its good to know that the time I spent working on the EQ and posting my findings of the DR280 is of use to others. Its hard to say how the EQ compares to the DR250, and would be good if others would post the specific EQ curve on the list as well. I know Tim Ard and Leland said it was fairly similar. Its also amazing what a difference the corrective EQ makes to the vocal clarity.

I keep forgetting to post my current EQ curve after fitting the throat filler and filters, and plan to do that in the next week or so. Its very similar but a little less adjustment required in the lower mids.

Top job
Dave

David Carter

#3 Post by David Carter »

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. Now if I could just source some metal grills without having to spend a fortune, I'd add a grill to the front like your DR280's. I love that look!

I'd love to see your updated EQ curve.

Also, any thoughts that anyone has on EQ below 80hz would be helpful as, for the time being, these will be used without subs so there is no crossover point. During my playing around last night, I boosted 40-80hz, left 31.5hz flat and dropped 25hz. I like how it sounds, but I'm very new at this EQ business and would love to hear others' recommendations.

One other EQ question... My Rane has a switch to toggle between +/-6db and +/-12db. I like the sound better when it's set to +/-12, but are there any other considerations I should take into account besides how it sounds when deciding how to set that switch?
Dave

Built:

DAVID_L_PERRY

#4 Post by DAVID_L_PERRY »

The switch on the rane simply changes the adjustment range of the graphic.

With the switch in the +/-12 range the slider is making larger changes to the sound (ie upto 12db changes). When you put it into +/-6db range you are halving the eq adjustment. So you are simply hearing more adjustment being made with the EQ.

I would be careful about boosting the lows if you are cranking the cabs up at gig levels, and certainly don't try putting kick drum through them without a sub unless you drop the lows out again, or you could toast your driver.

Dave

David Carter

#5 Post by David Carter »

DAVID_L_PERRY wrote:I would be careful about boosting the lows if you are cranking the cabs up at gig levels, and certainly don't try putting kick drum through them without a sub unless you drop the lows out again, or you could toast your driver.
Yeah, I thought about that. Right now the situation is that we're really just a garage band having fun jamming together. We don't really go out and gig except the occasional party where a bunch of friends get together for an evening. As such, our volume levels don't even merit mics on the drums at all. That's why I'm not in a hurry for subs. I thought about DR200's at one time, but, being the bass player, I keep wanting all my cabs to be suitable as a bass cab in addition to their primary purpose. :)

The DR250's will have vocals, guitars, and keyboards going through them. I thought about adding bass through them also, but my Omni 10 has been enough in the small areas we play right now. If things ever get bigger and we start micing drums or playing in larger venues, I'll build a couple of T39's to add to the mix and put drums and bass into the mix.
Dave

Built:

LelandCrooks

#6 Post by LelandCrooks »

Nice cabs. I know how hard you've worked.

Don't boost that bottom end. For casual listening fine. When you start putting some power to them you will bottom the driver. Keep any eq boost above 60hz. I'd start a 3db rolloff at 50 and cutoff completely at 35. It doesn't take much power to bottom the driver below 40 in that cab.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

David Carter

#7 Post by David Carter »

LelandCrooks wrote:Nice cabs. I know how hard you've worked.

Don't boost that bottom end. For casual listening fine. When you start putting some power to them you will bottom the driver. Keep any eq boost above 60hz. I'd start a 3db rolloff at 50 and cutoff completely at 35. It doesn't take much power to bottom the driver below 40 in that cab.
Thanks for the detail. I'll remember that. Sure don't want to toast the driver in this thing!
Dave

Built:

SoundInMotionDJ

#8 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

Awesome build!

If DR250's are anything like the 200's...adding a second one will blow you away.

--Stan Graves
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

David Carter

#9 Post by David Carter »

SoundInMotionDJ wrote:If DR250's are anything like the 200's...adding a second one will blow you away.
That's what I'm hoping for! Now if I can just cut the build time in half for the second one... :)
Dave

Built:

Tim A

#10 Post by Tim A »

Nice job Dave. Second one should go much easier.

David Carter

#11 Post by David Carter »

Tim Ard wrote:Nice job Dave. Second one should go much easier.
Thanks, Tim. I hope so.
Dave

Built:

David Carter

Finished the Second DR250!

#12 Post by David Carter »

This morning I put the finishing touches on the second DR250. Only thing left now is to run a 30hz tone through them and check for air leaks. Then I need to find a time when I can crank them up a little bit. I still haven't gotten them up past regular "home music listening" levels.

Dave

Built:

bgavin

#13 Post by bgavin »

I'm glad the ME30B works for you. I own several for that reason.

Nice job on the projects.

Q: how does the sound compare between DR250 and Omni to your ears?
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

David Carter

#14 Post by David Carter »

bgavin wrote:I'm glad the ME30B works for you. I own several for that reason.
I'm very glad to have it. The DR250 definitely sounds way better with EQ! Thanks for the recommendation.
bgavin wrote:Nice job on the projects.
Thanks,
bgavin wrote:Q: how does the sound compare between DR250 and Omni to your ears?
I have been spending all my time building and haven't had a chance to do a lot of A/B comparison. I haven't done any comparison when it comes to recorded music as I have always used the O10 as a bass cab. I did compare them with my bass after finishing the first DR250. In my subjective and not-very-expert opinion, the DR250 was about equal in perceived volume level to the Omni 10 and much clearer. I believe the Omni 10 felt slightly stronger on the low end when compared to the single DR250, but I don't know if that's rally true or if it was just due to the difference in the character of their respective sounds. I hope to have a chance in the next day or two to plug the pair of DR250's into my bass head and see how it sounds with both of them together.

Overall, I prefer the sound of the DR250 to the Omni 10, but that is not due at all to the Omni 10 being lacking--it's just that the DR250 is just outstanding! The melded array is so sweet when listening to recorded music (I love the clarity of the hi-hat on Police's "Message In A Bottle")!

BTW, I installed an on/off tweeter switch in both DR250's for when the are used as bass cabs, and my comments above reflect having tried it with the tweeters both on and off.
Dave

Built: