Future builder of O10.5, TLAH, T18, and then...?

Steve-O

Future builder of O10.5, TLAH, T18, and then...?

#1 Post by Steve-O »

Hi,

Long post here. I've been lurking and asking sporadic questions for several months now, but I thought it was time to introduce myself. I've finally pulled the trigger and ordered the CD.

The O10.5 drew me to this site, with its light weight and portability. I've got a couple of boutique cabs that don't thrill me, and are heavier than I'd like. I plan to build 2 O10.5s: one to leave at the practice space, one for gigs, or both for larger gigs. My brother has the tools, which he uses to build his own guitars.

The TLAHs intrigue me, but my girlfriend thought they would be too big for our living room. A couple of months ago She Who Must Be Obeyed split, so now I'm free to do whatever I want. Let these TLAHs be a good step toward reclaiming my self-determination!

If the TLAHs require it, I may build a T18. It's a leap for me, because I HATE subwoofer abuse. [rant] For so many people, including punks in my neighborhood, subwoofers are a form of territorial pissing, for announcing one's presence by annoying people around them. Compensating for something, no doubt. [/rant] But Bill seems to emphasize musicality over sheer phallic power, so it may be worth a shot.

After that, who knows. If my brother is impressed by the O10.5 he may want to build a new PA for our band. That's why I bought the whole CD.

But since ordering the plans I've accepted a new job, so who knows how much free time I'll have to get anything built.

That's my story. Thanks for reading.

Steve

LelandCrooks

Re: Future builder of O10.5, TLAH, T18, and then...?

#2 Post by LelandCrooks »

Steve-O wrote:
If the TLAHs require it, I may build a T18.
Steve
They do. Depending on the driver, about 80hz is where they roll off.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Mikey

#3 Post by Mikey »

You may want to consider a TableTuba instead of a T18. I think you would be much happier with it.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Mikey wrote:You may want to consider a TableTuba instead of a T18. I think you would be much happier with it.
Depends on the useage. For music the T18 is actually a tad better. For HT go TT for sure.

Steve-O

#5 Post by Steve-O »

Space is the primary consideration, music is the primary usage.

Right now, HT at my place is kind of a joke. I'm still using a ten-year-old 20" Regular-Def curved screen TV. With rabbit ears.

Baby steps.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

Frankenspeakers

#6 Post by Frankenspeakers »

Welcome!
The T18 should make you pretty happy. If the TLAH's are a bit big for your current situation (shouldn't be unless your upper corner space is limited) you can even do the SLA's which will do well with HT and computer sound too (for when you replace the SLA mains with TLAH's). Look around the MCM fliers to see when the MCM8" goes on sale... you can't beat it. (Mr. Gavin will warn you to check the packaging when it arrives- MCM has a notorious band of primates in the packaging department and UPS sometimes needs an MCM 8 box to use in their intermural rugby tourneys... I'll let him speculate the rest) Yer new job aint with UPS is it? :shock:
All humor aside (at UPS & MCM's expense) The MCM driver is a little monster & check out Madisound for the fosters (speakers- not the beer, mate) I did see some ebay ads for case lots of 3" or 4" speakers for ridiculous cheap.
There is no technical problem however complex, that cannot be solved or finessed by a direct application of brute strength and ignorance.

"Gimme the hammer... Naaaw not that one, the freakin' big one- I'll MAKE it fit!"

bgavin

#7 Post by bgavin »

If you can find the Tang Band W8-740Q on sale, it is virtually identical to the MCM, but with better packaging. This one is the follow-on product for the discontinued W8-740C.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.

Steve-O

#8 Post by Steve-O »

Frankenspeakers wrote:Welcome!
Thank you!
Frankenspeakers wrote: If the TLAH's are a bit big for your current situation (shouldn't be unless your upper corner space is limited) you can even do the SLA's which will do well with HT
I was planning to emulate the floorstanding trapezoid-shaped version here:
http://www.frappr.com/?a=photo&gid=345365&pid=6857185
They're going to be placed in the middle of a long wall, with the corners too far away. Plus I think these just look great.

I may in fact build the SLAs instead, if I can't get satisfactory results with TLAHs of the size I'd like to make them. I'll decide after I review the plans. (Another reason for buying the whole CD.)

Thanks,
Steve