Hello from Grand Rapids Michigan!

Pooligans

Hello from Grand Rapids Michigan!

#1 Post by Pooligans »

Hi folks! I've been lurking here a little over a year now and made a point to do a lot of reading before making any posts. This community is fantastic, and it's been awesome following many of your build journeys and piecing together what I would need to build my own system. I just recently pulled the trigger on some used Crowns (CE-2000 & XLS-802) and a DBX Driverack PA2. I've decided to build 2 T30's with the 3012LF drivers, and may down the line upgrade to 4. I am still a bit undecided on how wide I'll make them but they'll definitely be single driver cabs. Both amps I have should capable of doing 50v at 8 ohms per channel. For "tops" I have a pair of Harbinger HX-152's that I purchased ages ago before I knew anything about anything. Down the line I plan to build some Otop 12s and sell the Harbingers.

Aside from the few youtube videos I've seen, I've never been able to hear them in person. I know a few folks here do events in the Detroit area, but nothing on the west side of the state. If anyone is doing an event in Michigan, feel free to hit me up!

Seth

Re: Hello from Grand Rapids Michigan!

#2 Post by Seth »

Welcome to the party, I'm Seth. What can I call you?
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Pooligans

#3 Post by Pooligans »

A party it certainly feels like! My name is Ian.

Seth

#4 Post by Seth »

Welcome Ian. Nice of you to join in. :thumbsup:

Any idea when you wanna start your T30 builds?
Last edited by Seth on Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

G'day Ian and welcome to the forum :)

If you're interested in the T30 the T45 might also interest you. Performance the same, but a different form factor.
Sometimes that works better in pack space.
What's your build(s) for?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Pooligans

#6 Post by Pooligans »

Ideally I want to start building them once the weather gets warmer. My garage is definitely a project in and of itself before I make any sawdust. I picked the T30's because I mainly experiment with electronic music, and a few other people I've met here do the same. I figure why not build a decent system, meet other synth heads and get weird with it. I did consider the T45 but I already had the plans for the T30 and figured I would take advantage of corner loading wherever I could.. although I haven't necessarily heard that you can't corner load with the T45/T60 form factor, can you? Either way, pack space isn't too important for me as I doubt I'll be gigging a lot until I get to know my local scene a bit better. The T48's I had also considered because they work really well with live bands too, but I figure just do what works for myself for now.

Not gonna lie, I've read lots of your guys posts and it's really cool to finally interact.

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

You can corner load a T45 :)

Thanks for the kind words, enjoy whatever all of us can help with...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

ketoet

#8 Post by ketoet »

You can cornerload any sub but horns benefit even more if i'm correct 🤔
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

A horn benefits more from corner loading when the corner serves to extend the horn length and increase the horn mouth area.

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Pooligans wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:33 pm I just recently pulled the trigger on some used Crowns (CE-2000 & XLS-802) and a DBX Driverack PA2.
I'm assuming that with just two T30s you'll only be using one of those amps. You don't really want to mix the two as they have different output voltages. The driverack can't address two different limits for two different amps on subs.

If you do build 4 and want to use those two amps, you'll have to turn the 802 down in order to get the same voltage as the 2000. While that's certainly possible - there's really no good way to do that so that you always know just where the knob should be and to keep someone from cranking it up and blowing a driver.

So, if you end up building another pair, consider finding another 802 to run 'em with (it has a little more power - thus, some headroom.....use the CE2000 on the tops). You could run all 4 on one 802, but you won't leave yourself any headroom at all....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Pooligans

#11 Post by Pooligans »

The CE-2000 would only be for the tops, as the it does 660 watts at 4 ohm per channel and the HX-152 cabinets max out at 650 watts at 4 ohm according to specs. Doesn't leave a lot of headroom for the CE-2000 if cranked, but since I'll only be starting off with the 2 T30s I'll definitely be limiting the tops.

When I move to 4 T30s, I'll likely acquire another XLS-802. They have been popping up all over the place in the used market for dirt cheap (I got mine for $150), and I dont mind the extra weight all that much compared to the drivecore or xti series.

Bruce Weldy

#12 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Good answer! You've got a good plan.

But, definitely lose those Harbinger tops and build some OTop12s. They will sound much better, are lighter and don't need much power at all...but, build 4 of 'em....they just sound even better coupled.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Seth

#13 Post by Seth »

Pooligans wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:26 am Ideally I want to start building them once the weather gets warmer. My garage is definitely a project in and of itself before I make any sawdust...
I hear ya on it being a project to start the project. I had to do just that before getting my build off the ground. Took about a week at a comfortable pace... broke down and cleared a pile of empty Amazon boxes, put away left over messes from previous projects, general organizing of the space, and so forth... Sweep, vacuum.

Feels good to have a bit of order in that space again.

So, anyways... Sweet! Most of the trees here in CA are exploding with spring foliage already. I gotta guess it's gonna start warming up for you soon, within the next month or so. I look forward to hearing about your progress Ian.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Pooligans

#14 Post by Pooligans »

Thanks Seth! The garage might actually be as much of a project as the Tubas. I have furniture, boxes, and a bunch of odds and ends to sell / get rid of.

Glad the plan has your approval Bruce. I do have a quick question, just in case the used market in the future dries up for XLS-802's (since they are discontinued), would substituting for a Crown XLI-2500 be feasible? They are both rated for 500 watts at 8 Ohms, but the XLS-802 does 800 watts at 4 Ohms whereas the XLI-2500 does 750 watts at 4 Ohms. Since I am only making single loaded T30's and placing only one per channel, would it still not be advisable?

Bruce Weldy

#15 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Pooligans wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:35 pm in case the used market in the future dries up for XLS-802's (since they are discontinued), would substituting for a Crown XLI-2500 be feasible?
It always hard to tell exactly what an amp puts out in voltage as the manufacturer's seem to push harder on the marketing. I'm guessing those two would be close. You'd just have to hook 'em up and check the voltage on both amps when you set the limiter. One might end up putting out a little less than the other one - just set your limiter based off the one with the highest output. A couple of volts difference won't be noticeable..

But, I bet you can find some 802s out there. They ought to be pretty cheap even if you have to have one shipped in off of Reverb or eBay.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210