Another Californian

Tom Smit

Re: Another Californian

#16 Post by Tom Smit »

The T45 can be built with castors and hand-holds in a similar fashion to the T39 or T48, and that makes it just as easily transportable (like it is it's own dolly, and one can rest the top onto a table or pickup bed, and then lift up the bottom to slide up into place}. The T45 can be the same pack-space as 2 T24s but much easier to handle than a T24.
TomS

Seth

#17 Post by Seth »

Jordan,
What is it you would like to achieve? Other than the farting car audio replacement driver, is there something that your current system could use some improvement on?
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

bldr

#18 Post by bldr »

SethRocksYou wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:24 pm Jordan,
What is it you would like to achieve? Other than the farting car audio replacement driver, is there something that your current system could use some improvement on?
Great question - one aspect is that I would like a project and the satisfaction of having built somethhing myself.
Initially I am looking to beef up the low-end - lower & lourder. If I can replace my existing subs with something that fits in approximaetly the same floor space but gets me louder and lower I would be a pretty happy camper.

Seth

#19 Post by Seth »

bldr wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:23 am
SethRocksYou wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:24 pm Jordan,
Great question - one aspect is that I would like a project and the satisfaction of having built somethhing myself.
Initially I am looking to beef up the low-end - lower & lourder. If I can replace my existing subs with something that fits in approximaetly the same floor space but gets me louder and lower I would be a pretty happy camper.
I totally get it. There really doesn't have to be a practical reasoning when I just want to do something, 'cuz I wanna do it. And, as far as hobby projects, I think you've chosen a rewarding one.

I'm on board with what the other guys have said. T39, T48, T45... all good choices.

Looking at the response curve you posted...

and comparing it to a 24 inch T48...

Your current sub/24" T48
At 40Hz, 88/97
45Hz, 89.5/98
50Hz, 91.5/99
60Hz, 91.5/104
70Hz, 92/106
80Hz, 92/107
90Hz, 91.5/108
100Hz, 91/108

Average, 91.8/103.4

A single 24" T48 will play as loud as all 4 of your current subs on roughly 1/4 the power. If you could manage a 36" wide cab (I'd put casters on the side instead of the back) you'd gain another 3dB average sensitivity, meaning you could match your current output with 1/8th the power you currently need.

I think the biggest thing you would notice is how smooth and effortless the bass will sound. At first, your mind may think it's not as loud. Our minds hear and translate harmonic distortion as meaning loud. I remember my first 1980's silver tape deck boom box radio was the loudest thing on the block... It sounded like shit when it was turned up all the way, but in my youth (and admittedly, fairly deep into my adulthood) I thought that meant is was louder than something else that wasn't distorted. Lack of harmonic distortion takes a little getting used to, but it's addictive once I knew what I was hearing is what was meant to be heard. And now I can't appreciate poor quality sound.

Any one of those designs will get you what you're looking for. I'm also in agreement that the taller designs equipped with casters will be easier to move than the shorter models.

One 24" T48 will be able to give you about 105dB at the far end of your viewing area.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421