Hello from Coventry, UK

88h88

Re: Hello from Coventry, UK

#16 Post by 88h88 »

The only place you could possibly attach any sort of treatment is above the heads of everyone which would then detract from you being able to see up into the spire of the place... There's already some artworks been placed up there and that's also where the speakers are. I just don't see it happening.

The sister bar Browns (I refuse to call it Drapers) is another place which is just acoustically awful, it's all sheets of glass and reflective wood, stone floors and wood furniture. It's a real shame because I love both bars but unless you're outside you really can't hold a proper conversation with your friends. :/
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Tom Smit

#17 Post by Tom Smit »

I just had a thought: if holes are not allowed to be drilled into the walls since Inspire is listed, could one use pipe to hang the cabinets from? One piece of pipe going up each corner, and all the vertical pipes are plumbed together with horizontal pipe to lock them in, and with horizontal cross-braces to lock the corners in. The horizontal pieces could then, also, be used to hang banners and such. An added bonus is the the wiring wouldn't be as noticeable.
TomS

Charles Jenkinson

#18 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I dunno Tom. Something has to secure ''whatever' against a wall - a few holes here and there i would say isn't against the ethos of listed status, especially if in mortar joints, and not stone blocks themselves. In terms of sound, it's probably the balance of the aesthetically versus audiblly acceptable - wherever that balance is struck. It's probably further away from where it is right now, but won't lean in favour of one or the other. From an engineering viewpoint, what level of analysis / cost would one be prepared to attribute to that (?) There are people who can do analytics of acoustic damping for specific geometries - not me. (Edit: and what would the metric be anyway; frequency (x) against reverberation time (y)...? Edit 2: Ansys (multiphysics) probably have a package that does it, ... but it's my bedtime...). I have however seen auto-EQ "suck" reverb out of a problematic hall environment, so maybe it can as a first pass do similar here. Who knows.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Tom Smit

#19 Post by Tom Smit »

Charles Jenkinson wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:07 pm I dunno Tom. Something has to secure ''whatever' against a wall -
What I was trying to relate is that the pipes, through compression of the horizontal pipe, would push the vertical pipes into the corner.

Just thought of something else after Charles posted, and that is to hang acoustic panels off of the pipes in order to dampen the reverb.
TomS

88h88

#20 Post by 88h88 »

Well I guess you won't be needing to improve the sound at Inspire anymore, it's closing down??
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#21 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Probably because the acoustics suck?

Charles Jenkinson

#22 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Would be interesting to find out if it was related to acoustics.

I was nearly tempted to go have a look
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.