Hello from California

jcarlding

Hello from California

#1 Post by jcarlding »

Hello,

I’ve bought a full set of plans so I can review everything in detail and see if there is a suitable option for my situation.

I’ve got a backyard patio where I would like a very wide near field dispersion yet also have power to reach the far end of the listening area at full range. I want to mount all the speakers under the eaves.

There is a swimming pool 20’ away from the house and a patio area beyond the pool With seating approx 50’ from the house. The width of the area is 75’ or so.

I believe the SLA curve will do great for the near field dispersion and the truck tuba will fit into the eaves nicely as well. Is there an option to install higher power drivers in the SLA for occasional higher listening levels? We generally will keep the volume low to permit conversation. At this low volume I really want a strong full range, so I believe the truck tuba will suffice even though there will be no cabin effect.

I am contemplating mounting two truck tubas wide for a stereo effect in the low range. Placing them over 50’ wide is no problem. I want to place the mid/high speakers approx 25’ apart so there is relatively even sound across the near patio

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions
Attachments
E79F57AC-6AFB-494F-8AE1-590AE728A61C.jpeg
E03E4B46-AFBA-4A37-965F-F3A5C07DD2CE.jpeg

Bruce Weldy

Re: Hello from California

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

jcarlding wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 am
I am contemplating mounting two truck tubas wide for a stereo effect in the low range. Placing them over 50’ wide is no problem. I want to place the mid/high speakers approx 25’ apart so there is relatively even sound across the near patio

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions
Welcome to the forum.....

First - there is stereo effect on low frequencies...so, there's no need to split the subs.

Second - if you have your top boxes that far apart, you aren't going to have very good near-field sound as you'll only be hearing one side of a stereo signal unless you are a ways back and right in the middle. If you are looking to keep the sound at a low volume, then running mono and having speakers directed toward certain areas would make more sense.

As you are trying to have a system to do everything - close, far, wide, etc., then I'd suggest going with more speakers running in mono. The problem with mounting a speaker horizontally is that you cut down on dispersion. So, you really need a single driver box.....unless you are good with them hanging down a ways from the eaves.

Not trying to dissuade you from building boxes (that's what we do here), but have you considered some off the shelf outdoor speakers? Might be a lot easier to maintain and keep working in those conditions.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

jcarlding

#3 Post by jcarlding »

I currently have a pair of Klipsch AW-650 mounted approx 25’ apart horizontally. They sound just ok when one stands directly in front of them and for stereo they start to sound ok around 20’ out. The low response is absent and in fact at the low/mid range they sound pretty bad.

I feel like even if I put a pair of SLA pro 2x4 at each position and angle them in I will see an improved near field dispersion and obviously better overall range. Add the truck tubas for bottom end

I would be very happy if the near field can be improved. At the pool and beyond is not so important.

I will experiment with mono vs stereo after installation and evaluate which is preferred.

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi, and welcome :)
The home theatre, and auto, designs, rely on cabin gain to make them work.
So, using either outdoors where there is no cabin gain is asking for failure from the outset IMHO.
Don't use either the truck tuba, or the SLA centre!

Regular SLA I think may do well, perhaps, even, as Bruce has suggested, a larger number of the surround versions maybe.
Regular subs are what you need for outdoors though...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

ACUA

#5 Post by ACUA »

I feel inclined in that situation to suggest a few jack10” cabs hung from the rafters spread out. With no sub, personally I would not run one for outdoor setup like that. I would never place subs in the eaves personally. If you want some bass you could build some jack15 cabinets. Those cabs have pretty good low extension. A jack should be able to get pretty loud if build with high end drivers.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

CoronaOperator

#6 Post by CoronaOperator »

ACUA wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:50 pm I would never place subs in the eaves personally.
Me neither. Maybe a T45 or a T39 on its side beside the house on the ground. Match the siding of the house and paint it the same color and make it look like a deck box. You could put a cushion on top to make it a bench, or some flower planters to decorate it. Pet screen on the open end to keep the critters out.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Seth

#7 Post by Seth »

Welcome to the forum. Cool project:thumbsup: I look forward to seeing it through completion.

My vote is four, 2 driver SLA Pro's under the soffit/eaves (either in mono or alternating stereo LRLR) and a T39 cleverly blended into the decor. I like the idea of matching wood siding and paint. On a little more creative note, I've always wanted a backyard sub disguised as a charming dog house.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

jcarlding

#8 Post by jcarlding »

We do have a pair of dog houses tucked in the corner that are roughly the size of a T60...

jcarlding

#9 Post by jcarlding »

I like the idea of 4 each SLA pro full size and a large sub placed against the wall disguised as a bench or bar table top. Easy

ACUA

#10 Post by ACUA »

That sounds like it should sound good!!!
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio