Hello and help me choose...

Post Reply
Message
Author
bottomdweller
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm
Location: PA

Hello and help me choose...

#1 Post by bottomdweller » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi folks. I am in snowy PA, getting cabin fever as is usual this time of year.

I have a pair of 12" drivers in small, generic cabs, that our band uses as subs when we play outdoors and bigger venues. In that situation, I use a 4x10 bass cab for bass. When indoors, I'll use the 12"ers stacked as a bass cab. Everything mentioned works well.
However, I would like to load the drivers in new cabs that would maximize their potential as subs, and leave the 4x10 at home if possible. I'd like some help choosing a cab design. Complexity of design is not important, but size is, since we move them for every gig. We use Yamaha club 12" as tops and that won't change anytime soon, "Lord willing and the creek don't rise".

These are the ones I have: Dayton Audio PA310-8 12" Pro Woofer
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... r--295-032

Any help is much appreciated!

User avatar
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin
Posts: 26934
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 pm

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:33 pm

You could use those in T39s. They're not ideal, but will still work a lot better in a T39 cab than in whatever they're in now.

bottomdweller
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm
Location: PA

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#3 Post by bottomdweller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks Bill. The T39 was the first I landed on when I started looking. When you say ideal, is there another cab that would work better, or was your wording due to the limitations of my cheap drivers?

User avatar
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin
Posts: 26934
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 pm

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:23 pm

The T39 will give the best possible result from those drivers, the 3012LF will give the best possible result from the T39.

bottomdweller
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm
Location: PA

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#5 Post by bottomdweller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 pm

deleted
Last edited by bottomdweller on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bottomdweller
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm
Location: PA

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#6 Post by bottomdweller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:23 pm
The T39 will give the best possible result from those drivers, the 3012LF will give the best possible result from the T39.
I was writing my next reply as you posted this... Thank you for clarification.

bottomdweller
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm
Location: PA

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#7 Post by bottomdweller » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:15 pm

One more question I hope can be answered easily. I am set on the T39's and will likely purchase the recommended drivers. As mentioned above, we're using Yamaha club tops. They are currently worth more on the used market than when I bought them, so a sale may be in order. If so, I would build tops to go along with the T39's. I've read a bit, but I'm tired. Which design would best suit our PA, Omni's, SLA's?

Grant Bunter
Posts: 6154
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Ilfracombe Queensland Australia
Contact:

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#8 Post by Grant Bunter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:04 pm

The answer to that is part budget, part woodworking skills, part preference, and part pack space...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans. 2 more under way with CD horn
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy
Posts: 6797
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:37 am
Location: New Braunfels, TX

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:35 pm

bottomdweller wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:15 pm
One more question I hope can be answered easily. I am set on the T39's and will likely purchase the recommended drivers. As mentioned above, we're using Yamaha club tops. They are currently worth more on the used market than when I bought them, so a sale may be in order. If so, I would build tops to go along with the T39's. I've read a bit, but I'm tired. Which design would best suit our PA, Omni's, SLA's?
If you can build the T39s, you can build some OTop12s. They are a good match.

The Yamaha Club series are good boxes - I use the SM15V for monitors.....got 7 of 'em.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210


"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

bottomdweller
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm
Location: PA

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#10 Post by bottomdweller » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Thank you both for your input. The Yamaha's are very good and have served us well indoors and outdoors.
I want to order plans now, and I wanted to get two sets of plans, so I have the option to build something else right away if I get on a roll. ;)
I just cannot decide what the second one should be. Maybe a Jack or two for the extra drivers I have lying around. hmm.

User avatar
Tom Smit
Posts: 6802
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Sarnia, Ont. Canada

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#11 Post by Tom Smit » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:53 am

bottomdweller wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 pm
Thank you both for your input. The Yamaha's are very good and have served us well indoors and outdoors.
I want to order plans now, and I wanted to get two sets of plans, so I have the option to build something else right away if I get on a roll. ;)
I just cannot decide what the second one should be. Maybe a Jack or two for the extra drivers I have lying around. hmm.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I strongly suggest that you get the CD of plans, because you are going to get the bug. I can tell. 8)
TomS

Bruce Weldy
Posts: 6797
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:37 am
Location: New Braunfels, TX

Re: Hello and help me choose...

#12 Post by Bruce Weldy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:12 pm

Tom Smit wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:53 am
bottomdweller wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 pm
Thank you both for your input. The Yamaha's are very good and have served us well indoors and outdoors.
I want to order plans now, and I wanted to get two sets of plans, so I have the option to build something else right away if I get on a roll. ;)
I just cannot decide what the second one should be. Maybe a Jack or two for the extra drivers I have lying around. hmm.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I strongly suggest that you get the CD of plans, because you are going to get the bug. I can tell. 8)
Amen.....

It's worth it.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210


"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Post Reply