Hello from Danville Virginia

Direkt

Hello from Danville Virginia

#1 Post by Direkt »

Just wanted to say hey and see if there were any other audio nuts in the area.

Thanks!

Donavan

Grant Bunter

Re: Hello from Danville Virginia

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Welcome to the forum :)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum! What are your plans?
TomS

Direkt

#4 Post by Direkt »

Glad you asked! I would like to build a “portable” Bluetooth speaker. I say portable because I know it’s going to be big I just don’t know how big yet. I have been playing with some of the inexpensive class d amp boards from China with pretty decent results. Now I need some speakers to match. I was thinking about a tuba, not sure which flavor yet, and maybe an 8” Wedgehorn together. The speakers need to have passive crossovers as I am trying to keep the setup fairly simple.
Would it be possible to use a dual coil driver in the Wedgehorn and run L and R channels to each coil to kind of fake stereo?
The tuba would run off of the mono sub channel of the amp so that part is easy.

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

The wedgehorns have a bump in their response for vocals, because that's what they are designed for. That's not necessarily good for music. They are also not designed to sit with the driver perpendicular to say a tuba.

I reckon a Jack 10 might be better for your half plan, and will have greater sensitivity to try and keep up with a tuba as well.

Whatever you build for your mids/high cab, dual coil drivers are generally designed for subwoofers, and won't have the response required for a mid high cab.

Does any of your amps have the ability to set up a mono output for the mid highs?

There have been a few forum users here who have gone with a full range option, rather than a sub/tops type setup, with good results, for BBQ and trailer party type use.
Think Jack15's as an example...
Built:

Direkt

#6 Post by Direkt »

Grant-
Thanks for clearing some things up for me. I appreciate the input. So I should look at a Jack 15? I had thought about a Jack or Jack Lite for a single cab solution. What I miss most with my current Bluetooth speaker is the bottom end. There just isn’t any! How could there be any when it uses tiny 2” drivers and a 3” passive radiator?
What drivers are suggested for use in a Jack 15 or Jack Lite 15?
I assume that I should build a Jack and test it and if for some reason I still feel that the bottom end is still lacking I should have my head examined 😜 THEN build a Tuba.
Does that sound like a more reasonable plan?

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

No wonder you're struggling lol.

Eminence Deltalite II 2515, Eminence Kappa 15 and Delta Pro 15, premium driver is the Eminence Kappalite 3015, from my older plans for the J15,
I don't have the lite plans.

It's up to you if you want to go the way you're suggesting. After all it's your money.
It does make some sense to go that way though.
If a full range cab does it for you, all good.
The lite series are not as easy to build as the regular series.
You need to remember a J15 is 22 x 22 x 20 inches and 50 pounds ish.

You mentioned using left and right outputs on your amp, if one J15 wasn't enough, you could build another before going to a sub.

Having said that, if you're going to add a sub, it should be done right, and that means a dedicated crossover rather than the sub out on an amp. Enough people here have used the MiniDSP 2.1 with good success, so look that up too...
Built:

Strange Kevin

#8 Post by Strange Kevin »

Hey, Welcome to the form.

I've always thought some SLA Pros with the 4 inch drivers would make a great set of bluetooth speakers.they are small, light, sound great, and are super easy to build.
Also, paired with a T39, would probably go lower and be easier to transport than a jack 15 or two...
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

Tom Smit

#9 Post by Tom Smit »

Huh. My limited thinking kept me at the small devices, which means that I never thought of a J15 to be a Bluetooth speaker! I do fully understand the woefully minimal bass output of those small devices.
TomS

Direkt

#10 Post by Direkt »

Sat and pondered this for a little while and now I think I’m ready for more input. Would any other cab work for a full range solution as a Bluetooth speaker? I like the SLA idea but if I can get away with a single cab solution I might go that route.

Thanks for the input

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Direkt wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 pm Sat and pondered this for a little while and now I think I’m ready for more input. Would any other cab work for a full range solution as a Bluetooth speaker? I like the SLA idea but if I can get away with a single cab solution I might go that route.

Thanks for the input
Jack 10, Jack 12, Jack 15, Omni 12, Omni 15. (not OmniTop)

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."