Hi from Cool CA

Bikewrench

Hi from Cool CA

#1 Post by Bikewrench »

Hi, name's Chris. I live in a small town called cool, CA in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. I grew up in East Tennessee, and played bass in a high school garage band in the mid 90's. After college and playing in a couple bands I realized I was more into the technology and sound aspect of live music rather than playing it. I've always been a diy guy and into trying to learn to do things on my own rather than have to pay someone else. I married a musician, she was a piano major in college and also sings and plays guitar. We make a pretty good team. After we got married, we moved to CA for her to go to grad school. We found a church that I actually didn't mind going to. It's come as you are, shorts, t-shirts, tattoos, rock and roll, motorcycles, everyone is accepted. My wife joined the band and I joined the sound team. We rock pretty hard with a full band, right around 100db. Been there for almost 15 years. Started out running an Allen & Heath GL3200, was updated to a gld80 about 5 years ago. I don't have a lot of other experience on digital boards, been behind a few others, but really love the gld and its remote apps. We have a horrible room with a low metal ceiling. So we run the drums in a plexiglass cage, mic guitar cabs in a back room and use all in ear monitors. We run a rane dragnet processor, qsc rmx amps, 4 tannoy mains and a couple of jbl subs. Recently, the band leader who has been an electric guitar player in a few touring bands is putting together something outside of the church. I've been peicing together a sound system as most of the places the band is playing don't have any type of pa. We've done two shows so far with out having to rent any equipment. I resurrected an old 32 channel soundcraft 200b that I found buried in a storage room at church, ive done a central ground mod, and got about 25 channels functional. Planning on recapping a few channels to see if it improves at all. I also have a grund audio 2x18 sub that used to be installed at the church and a rack of mismatched amps, We have a friend that brings a driverack and a pair of peavey mains. After a couple of shows I've decided to keep acquiring gear to get a full system together. Maybe even start a small sound business to make extra $. In researching what I lack, speakers, I found BFM. I don't have any experience or real knowledge of horn speakers, but love the idea of an inexpensive diy solution. And after reading about cleaner lowend and more volume with less power, I'm ready to start building. Planning on buying the whole cd, going to start with a T48 or two. The grund sub has been falling short at the last shows. Then probably build some wedgehorn8's and dr250's. Excited to learn about this stuff and get started building.

Grant Bunter

Re: Hi from Cool CA

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Welcome to the forum :)

If you have time, DR250's are great. Otop 12's are a quicker build for a slight decrease in output.
Don't overlook the T39 either. It's plenty enough for live music.
Though the T48 will be better for DJ type gigs with modern music.

Take a good look around the forum. There's lot's of valuable info here too...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bikewrench

#3 Post by Bikewrench »

Thanks

Was considering the 39's but was thinking something capable of doing all types of events, that's how I landed on the 48's.

From your signature it looks like you have the setup I'm after. Checked out the link. Nice looking builds, I dig the purple.

I've got a buddy whos a pro at woodworking and has a shop full of fancy saws and tools. Figured with his help I might as well build the dr's. If I was building on my own, I would probably do the ot's.

What amps are you using for your t39's and dr's?

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

+1 on the selected cabs.

If your buddy is going to be building the cabs, make sure that he follows the plans to a TEE, including using PL Premium (rather than wood glue).
TomS

Rob Shasta Guitar

#5 Post by Rob Shasta Guitar »

Hello from Weed California, well not really, but it is one town over. Have fun, these have been satisfying projects for me.
Sla Pro 5" drivers, t39 10" driver

Grant Bunter

#6 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bikewrench wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:03 pm Thanks

Was considering the 39's but was thinking something capable of doing all types of events, that's how I landed on the 48's.

From your signature it looks like you have the setup I'm after. Checked out the link. Nice looking builds, I dig the purple.

I've got a buddy whos a pro at woodworking and has a shop full of fancy saws and tools. Figured with his help I might as well build the dr's. If I was building on my own, I would probably do the ot's.

What amps are you using for your t39's and dr's?
Generally, where I am is either genny gigs or suspect power. I'm regularly use Aussie made old iron amps for most of my rig because of that.
It works for now, but if I ever upgrade the BP102's in 4 of my subs, I will go Crown XLS type amps to save some weight in good power gigs, old iron if out bush...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bikewrench

#7 Post by Bikewrench »

Thanks for the nice welcomes.
Thanks for the reassurance, Tom, you have an opinion on the t48 vs t39? I don't want to build a 39 and then wish I had built a 48. And I've read you shouldn't mix designs with (different horn lengths?) So don't want to waste money on something I can't use. I'll definitely be overseeing the build. Don't want to ask to much of my buddy, we'll see how much he wants to do. I want him to do the cuts, I own mostly harbor freight tools. They work, but not the straightest cuts.
I will probably do most of the assembly. Don't worry, planning on really studying the plans. While these are inexpensive compared to buying off the shelf cabinets, I'm not rich and don't want to waste my money on a half-a$$ build.

Got to love the names of some of theses noerthern california towns, what were they smoking?

I've got some mismatched old iron, glad to see everyone is not running new fancy amps. I've got a good buddy from Perth, love learning about your culture. He taught me about the game "goon of fortune" the other day. Lol.

Tom Smit

#8 Post by Tom Smit »

Bikewrench wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:28 am Thanks for the reassurance, Tom, you have an opinion on the t48 vs t39? I don't want to build a 39 and then wish I had built a 48. And I've read you shouldn't mix designs with (different horn lengths?) So don't want to waste money on something I can't use.
Do you have keys in the church band? Will the music contain and information below low E? The "other" outdoor music, will it be common to have info below low E? If yes, then go for the T48; if not very often, then use the T39. Most of the info that we associate with bass guitar is of the 2nd harmonic, even the low B, which shows favour to the T39. However, a little "weight" on the bass notes adds that ...something concrete....to the music. It's your choice/decision. Either cab is, absolutely, no slouch.
TomS

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Tom Smit wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:08 pm
Bikewrench wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:28 am Thanks for the reassurance, Tom, you have an opinion on the t48 vs t39? I don't want to build a 39 and then wish I had built a 48. And I've read you shouldn't mix designs with (different horn lengths?) So don't want to waste money on something I can't use.
Do you have keys in the church band? Will the music contain and information below low E? The "other" outdoor music, will it be common to have info below low E? If yes, then go for the T48; if not very often, then use the T39. Most of the info that we associate with bass guitar is of the 2nd harmonic, even the low B, which shows favour to the T39. However, a little "weight" on the bass notes adds that ...something concrete....to the music. It's your choice/decision. Either cab is, absolutely, no slouch.
For what it's worth........ when I'm mixing keys in a band situation, I always highpass at 100hz. Keeps the left hand content from blowing out the bass guitar. Still sounds rich and full without all the boominess.

I've yet to be in a live band situation with my T39s where I've felt that I needed more low end. Hell, I don't even run 'em as low as you can - usually high-passing the whole rig around 47hz. Plenty of bottom without putting the drivers in jeopardy.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bikewrench

#10 Post by Bikewrench »

pretty sure I'm going to build the 48. This will be for me personally, not the church. While I think I'll do mostly live bands, If someone wants to hire me for a Dj event I want to be capable.

I agree Bruce, I usually try to keep the keys out of the subs when we have a full band. Kick, low Tom, bass only.

Rich4349

#11 Post by Rich4349 »

Don't be afraid to build full sized cardboard mockups, maybe *both* Titan 39 and 48, and see how you feel about (and have the capability of) lugging around. Love my T-39s, they are SHOCKINGLY powerful. (2 of them, Vplated, a foot from a banquet room hall) vibrated a wall sconce upside down. Understood, you may be after that last bottom 5 hz.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Bikewrench

#12 Post by Bikewrench »

Good idea on the cardboard. The Grund Audio sub that I'm lugging around now is about 44x22x30, it's a 2x18 and a heavy beast. Thinking a 48x24x24 t48 will be pretty similar in size. Hoping with a single 3015lf it will be noticeably lighter. And super stoked about having built in casters.