Another Newbie from Wisconsin

caleb105

Another Newbie from Wisconsin

#1 Post by caleb105 »

I'm in the process of renovating a new house, so I figured now would be a good time to make some upgrades to the home theater. I'm selling my projector with the old house, so I recently bought a Samsung KS8000 65" 4k TV. I wanted to make the jump to 4K and HDR10 without spending $10-$15k on a projector... although I'll miss my 80" screen. :-(

Current speaker setup (bought in 2008):
Mains - 2 x Polk RTi8
Center - Polk CSi5
Surrounds - 2 x Polk FXi3
Sub - P.O.S. box

I'll be adding a new Atmos-enabled receiver soon, and was planning on going with a pair of Paradigm H55-R ceiling mount speakers for a 5.1.2 Atmos setup

I will also be starting out by building either a THT or THT-LP. After doing quite a bit of reading, yesterday I ordered the recommended Dayton RSS390-HF4 from PE, along with a BASH/O-Audio 300 plate amp (backordered). I will either build an enclosure for the BASH, or rack mount it. Haven't been able to find any pics of rack-mounted plate amps. Would love to see if anyone has done that.

From what I've read, the BASH 300 should be enough to handle a 2nd THT if I end up building a pair.

The theater room will be a finished room in 1/4 of the basement, approximately 15x15 in size with low ceilings (6.75 ft). 3 walls and floor are concrete. Ceiling is 3/8" backer board and then 1/2" plaster. I plan on eventually doing a 2nd amp to help eliminate null spots.

I'd also be interested in upgrading my Polk system down the road with more BFM builds.

I've spent quite a bit of time reading/studying the forums before joining. I appreciate all the measurements and fact-based advise compared to much of the "audio enthusiast" community. ;-)

-Caleb
Oshkosh, WI

Grant Bunter

Re: Another Newbie from Wisconsin

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi Caleb,
Welcome to the forum :)

Enjoy your time...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

ctmullins

#3 Post by ctmullins »

I don't know a thing about home theater, but
caleb105 wrote: I've spent quite a bit of time reading/studying the forums before joining. I appreciate all the measurements and fact-based advise compared to much of the "audio enthusiast" community. ;-)
:clap:
-todd

5 and 8 string bass | SansAmp | Crown | 2 x J110
2 x W8 panel-mount
2 x T39 24" 3012LF
4 x OT12 2512 melded (finally done!)

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum!
TomS

howiez

#5 Post by howiez »

caleb105 wrote:
I will also be starting out by building either a THT or THT-LP. After doing quite a bit of reading, yesterday I ordered the recommended Dayton RSS390-HF4 from PE, along with a BASH/O-Audio 300 plate amp (backordered). I will either build an enclosure for the BASH, or rack mount it. Haven't been able to find any pics of rack-mounted plate amps. Would love to see if anyone has done that.

From what I've read, the BASH 300 should be enough to handle a 2nd THT if I end up building a pair.

-Caleb
Oshkosh, WI
Hi Caleb and welcome. I've not been on BFM in a long time and just saw your intro.

I'm 45min north of you in New London and built a THT about two years ago. Mine is with the Dayton RSS390HF and a BASH 300 in the access panel and it is PERFECT for my home theater. One of these days i'll get around to building the second one i already bought parts for!

-howie