Hi from Slovenia

gyuripa

Hi from Slovenia

#1 Post by gyuripa »

Yellow!

I am building a Jack 12 in Europe - Slovenia, and have troubles to find the right coil. The manuals says it should be .6mH 18AWG or less, but the best I can do right now, without a huge shipping expense, is .64mH 17AWG. Would it do the job?

Also since it's hard to get PL around here I will try on Thursday the Bison PU max and a Slovenian brand called Mitopur E45 a PU wood glue, that needs slight moisturizing and expends a little bit. I am really curious about that one. Will probably post the results into the "EU supply finder" thread. Also saw some serious use of it, but not as the only adhesive, joining technique, in a small airplane (http://luciole.si/?page_id=29)

Anyway so much about me.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Hi from Slovenia

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

17 ga is less than 18 ga. So long as the DCR is within spec it's OK.

gyuripa

#3 Post by gyuripa »

That was fast! Thank you for your answer.

I have the Jack 12 plans before me, and just can't find the DCR spec. But somewhere on this forum I read that it should not exceed 0,4ohm. Is that true?

The one I can get has 0,286 ohm resistance (Jantzen Air Core Coil 0,640mH +/-3% 0,286Ω wire 1,20mm=17AWG OD-56 / 15mm). Therefor it should be fine, or? Forgive me for my noobism,

gyuripa

#4 Post by gyuripa »

So I did find the answer to my own question. But not in the the Jack 12 plans, the answer is in the Jack 10 plans:

The coil DC resistance must be no more than 5% of the load impedance, ie., 0.8
ohms for a 16 ohm load, 0.4 ohms for an 8 ohm load, 0.2 ohms for a 4 ohm load.
The cap is a non-polarized electrolytic. This filter is used with both piezo options
and ASD compression drivers. It’s optional when bi-amping and in woofer only
bass cabs. The low-pass filter increases the sensitivity of the woofer just below the
192kHz crossover frequency, so even when bi-amped using the low-pass filter will
give better results.

Although I found a useful EU dealer that has .6mH 15AWG coils, and many more cool stuff: https://www.audiohobby.eu/en/ (the shipping is a bit expensive, costs the same as the low pass filter parts)