Hello From Texas

rr97guy

Hello From Texas

#1 Post by rr97guy »

New to the forum and wanted to drop by and say hello and ask some questions.

I am a sound guy and am considering some of the BFM designs to build from flat packs offered by speaker hardware.com. I am overwhelmed by all the designs offered. I have used some long throw design cabinets back in the early 90's, they were the JBL 4520 2X15 scoop designs and some other horn loaded mids and tops.

I have to work on a budget and do things in stages. I need some subs that I can use for large indoor venues and the occasional outdoor gig. I have 4 Carvin 1588 speakers that I am going to have to use at least in the interim to cover the mids and highs. I suspect that their may be some time alignment issues involved.

I want to construct 4 of the T48s for my first project unless someone can tell me why I should consider some other design. If I do go with the T48s what driver should I select? I am overwhelmed by the info on this forum. If I go with the T48 what size power amp wattage rating per channel should I select?

I have no plans to sell the Carvin 1588s because they are great full range speakers for some of my smaller gigs.

My long term plan is to use the BFM cabinets for a second separate system after I build some tops.

Anyone want to chime in before I order T48 plans? Thanks

Tom Smit

Re: Hello From Texas

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Hello! ...and welcome to the forum!

What types of music are typically going through your system at least 80% of the time? This will help to determine the most appropriate sub.
TomS

rr97guy

#3 Post by rr97guy »

Tom, I mostly do rock and alternative rock music shows with an occasional modern country gig. If it matters, I mix using the aux fed sub technique that group the subs all together center stage.

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

rr97guy wrote:Tom, I mostly do rock and alternative rock music shows with an occasional modern country gig. If it matters, I mix using the aux fed sub technique that group the subs all together center stage.
welcome from another Texan.

For what you are going to do, the T39 is the way to go. Smaller, lighter and has the extension for what you are covering.

Where are you located? I'll have my whole rig out (see below) starting next Thursday every week until the middle of August for a local concert series. You are welcome to come check it out.

Put your location in your profile.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit »

I would recommend the Titan39 simply because it will fit the bill for your music styles, and provide best bang for the buck. If you go with a minimum width of 20" (go wider if your transport allows) and use one of the recommend 12", you will get great performance in a package that is easier to transport.

On this site, we cross the subs at around 100hz. which allows for better room placement without being "locate-able".

Using these subs will allow you to use much smaller tops than your current ones.

EDIT- I posted at the same time as Bruce, aaaaand, I was going to mention him. Go, take a listen to his rig. :)
TomS

rr97guy

#6 Post by rr97guy »

Thanks Bruce and Tom, I will check out the T39s. I typically cross over my current set ups at around 90-100hz. I have the Ashly Protea 3.6SP system controller and it can be configured with system slopes of up to 48db per octave.

I see that these also can be configured in several widths. I would most likely like to go with a 12 and go wide. I see that the T39 can be as wide as 30" but the place I will likely get flat packs from offers a kit up to 24" is probably what I will go with. I am not concerned about the physical size as far as truck space is concerned.

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

rr97guy wrote:Thanks Bruce and Tom, I will check out the T39s. I typically cross over my current set ups at around 90-100hz. I have the Ashly Protea 3.6SP system controller and it can be configured with system slopes of up to 48db per octave.

I see that these also can be configured in several widths. I would most likely like to go with a 12 and go wide. I see that the T39 can be as wide as 30" but the place I will likely get flat packs from offers a kit up to 24" is probably what I will go with. I am not concerned about the physical size as far as truck space is concerned.
The T39 at 24 inches and using the 3012LF is a good fit. Four of mine are 25 inches. Good size and easy to move by yourself. Be sure and put the wheels on 'em - much easier than trying to load on a dolly every time you want to move 'em.

I guess you are a bit far away to make it down for one of the Thursday show here in New Braunfels.....unless you are planning to bring your kids down to go to Schlitterbahn.

For those out of this area - there is a 45.7% chance that every kid in Texas under the age of 18 will go to Schlitterbahn this summer.....if you are from Houston, the percentage goes up to 93.4.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Jake Jarmon

#8 Post by Jake Jarmon »

Aww hell good to have nother Texan on the forums. Native?
2 - T24 24" BP102 "Twinning"
2 - OT112 Delta Pro 12 Melded Array **In Progress**

rr97guy

#9 Post by rr97guy »

Yes, native! :hyper: :hyper:

Grant Bunter

#10 Post by Grant Bunter »

Welcome to the forum :)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

rr97guy

#11 Post by rr97guy »

I have been doing a lot of research on here and I am toying with the idea of also doing some DJ work in the future. No, I don't see me needing to go below 40hz with anything I might DJ, mostly modern country music from the 1980's to the early 2000's and also alternative rock and classic rock. I have the feeling that the T48 may still be a better choice than the T39's. I really am not worried about the size of the units. I am even thinking about the 30 inch version T48's and have asked Leland for a price on them sized at 30 inch wide. I tend to overkill things when it comes to my equipment. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

LelandCrooks

#12 Post by LelandCrooks »

Yay, a protea user. They are killers. Not cheap, but worth every penny.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

rr97guy

#13 Post by rr97guy »

I am back, I have a story for you all. Since I joined, My life has made a 180 degree turn. I have sold all my gear in Texas in 2017 and moved to Hungary. I have bought an old farm house here in rural Hungary. I have a barn that was once a cabinet shop with lots of 3 phase power. I am going to buy some wood working tools and try my hand at building some 25-30 inch T39s and some OT12's. I still need to buy the plans if Bill can send me a CD with all of the current plans. A PDF won't work. If Not I will get them sent to a friend in the US and have it mailed. There are a lot of small music festivals here in Hungary. I am south of Lake Balaton
Last edited by rr97guy on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#14 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You can have plans emailed in either MS Word or PDF. I don't mail CDs overseas due to potential issues with Customs.

rr97guy

#15 Post by rr97guy »

Maybe PDF could work. I will contact you soon and we will try to see if I can download them. I don't do anything with MS Word. I have very fast internet so speeds not an issue. I have found a supplier for Baltic Birch plywood in various different thicknesses. I will have to source supply of an adhesive and whatever other materials and fasteners the plans call for, Maybe Leland Crooks can help with some of the stuff.