New to speakers

Kalasz

New to speakers

#1 Post by Kalasz »

hello, I am a dj in montana and im just getting into the world of the technical aspects of speakers. We are going for about 200 people sized music festivals playing only electronic dance music in outside settings, so I am wondering about some of the descriptions on the BYO cabinet plans. Some of them say they are ideal for electric bass/ guitar/ main pa etc. What would this mean for someone playing EDm style music through any of these speakers.And im wondering what the ideal treble/sub setup would be. Can someone point me down the right path?

Ryan A

Re: New to speakers

#2 Post by Ryan A »

Hello,

Because you have a requirement for EDM, and outdoors, the best sub will be T60, or perhaps T45/T30. Tops maybe a pair of DR200/DR250 or Otop12.

Plan on 4 single subs, or 2 dual loaded subs along with two tops. That should put you on your way. If you need more can always add.

commander_dan

#3 Post by commander_dan »

Hi, I will echo what Ryan said and suggest a 4 pack of T30/T45 (whichever one suits your pack space best) combined with a pair of PA tops such as those he mentioned. Go with premium drivers in all.

The DR series are quite a bit more complex in design than the Otop12, and hence will take longer to build, but they are superior. As someone who went with the easier design (OT12's) I am very happy with them, amazingly loud, crystal clear, lightweight and small, easy to build, and that means easier to increase your cab count if you expand later on.

You'll also need to factor in an active crossover unit such as DBX driverack or behringer DCX2496. One of these will allow you to protect your drivers, EQ, set crossovers, etc, which are all mandatory requirements.

Welcome to the world of awesome sounding speaker addiction :)
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum!

+1 to what they said.
TomS

Kalasz

#5 Post by Kalasz »

Thnx for the help fellas

Kalasz

#6 Post by Kalasz »

commander_dan wrote:Hi, I will echo what Ryan said and suggest a 4 pack of T30/T45 (whichever one suits your pack space best) combined with a pair of PA tops such as those he mentioned. Go with premium drivers in all.

The DR series are quite a bit more complex in design than the Otop12, and hence will take longer to build, but they are superior. As someone who went with the easier design (OT12's) I am very happy with them, amazingly loud, crystal clear, lightweight and small, easy to build, and that means easier to increase your cab count if you expand later on.

You'll also need to factor in an active crossover unit such as DBX driverack or behringer DCX2496. One of these will allow you to protect your drivers, EQ, set crossovers, etc, which are all mandatory requirements.

Welcome to the world of awesome sounding speaker addiction :)
So I need the speakers (tops and subs) , crossover, amp (im asuming), aaand what else ?besides obvious dj mixer headphones etc.

commander_dan

#7 Post by commander_dan »

Kalasz wrote:So I need the speakers (tops and subs) , crossover, amp (im asuming), aaand what else ?besides obvious dj mixer , headphones etc.
Factor in speaker cables (2 pole speakons would suffice), an amp rack with enough room to fit your amps+crossover+say 4 RU's spare room, power cables, xlr's for linking your mixer with your crossover, and crossover to amps.. that's pretty much all you need. Consider carrying a few spares and adaptors for various cable types/connectors, they come in handy.

Obviously also whatever lighting/effects/foggers you run as well..
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's