Hello from Virginia

dbhokie

Hello from Virginia

#1 Post by dbhokie »

Hello everyone,

I have been a long time lurker here and at TB forums. To this point I have been in a comfort zone, purchasing and refinishing various Electric Basses over the past 18 years, gigging out and having fun. Only now have I found a lover I cannot resist. Only now have I started playing on a Double Bass. It feels like I am embracing a person, and ah the warmth..anyways I digress. This is the reason all of a sudden I want to post finally...the sound is so different from an EB..I wish I never had to amp the thing...it seems almost criminal. So I'm going to lurk around a bit more ask a few questions and try and set up a nice DB rig. Good to be here!

dbhokie

Re: Hello from Virginia

#2 Post by dbhokie »

I didn't really want to hijack another thread somewhere or post somewhere it didn't fit..but I couldn't figure out what to do.

I have 2 unused speakers on hand right now in my basement..I want to use them in either small 110 cabs or a small 210 cab. Normally I would pick a design and see the specc'd speakers and purchase some. In this case I am more asking which design should I go with for the speakers I already have?

Intention: To create an incredibly clear small cab to bring along to venues specifically for my DB, the thing is so beautiful sounding..I don't want enormous unbelievable huge stacks of speakers..just clarity.

What I have:
(1) A Faital 10HP1020 Datasheet - http://www.faitalpro.com/products/files ... heet_8.pdf
(2) A Faital 10FH500 - Datasheet - http://www.faitalpro.com/products/files ... heet_8.pdf

I bought these a bit back with some random intention I never got to, but I have them now and as they are expensive drivers, well, I'd like to use them.

Which cab designs should I be looking at to befit these?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Those drivers aren't ideal in any of our cabs. They're odd ducks, not exactly sure if they want to be subwoofer or full range drivers, with specs that don't work really well in either application.

dbhokie

#4 Post by dbhokie »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Those drivers aren't ideal in any of our cabs. They're odd ducks, not exactly sure if they want to be subwoofer or full range drivers, with specs that don't work really well in either application.
First of all,

Thank you so much for the quick response, you are very kind to address my question in such a quick manner.

Well I thought it was worth a shot, I might try and incorporate them in a home theater set up. Which one of your plans would you recommend me purchasing for upright bass?

(As a side thought, doubling is always a nice bonus) DR250?

I feel like I need to stay away from something boomy, and be in something with more reflex and punch.

LelandCrooks

#5 Post by LelandCrooks »

The Italian drivers in general have a lot of mid low output, at the expense of getting low. They really like the 80-120 range. Fs seems to run in the mid 40s-50s on everything. You have to look at their specs closely when using them.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

dbhokie

#6 Post by dbhokie »

LelandCrooks wrote:The Italian drivers in general have a lot of mid low output, at the expense of getting low. They really like the 80-120 range. Fs seems to run in the mid 40s-50s on everything. You have to look at their specs closely when using them.

Well I have a couple projects, but the upright is my first priority. The faital's I have, I will hold onto and use for something else somewhere or sell them. I believe they were part of a trade I made a couple years ago, so I figured it didn't hurt to ask, however, I'd really like to build my own..I don't know why..I know there are cabs out there, but I love woodwork, and these boxes Bill has designed are so pretty. If any of you were building one of these for an upright bass cab (I have an assortment of heads I could use to drive it), I guess that was more along my question now, forget the faital's I'll buy a recommended driver for one of these boxes, if any of you audiophile geniuses think it would work well for an upright. I have a lot of preamp options so I could adjust HPFs and such to try and get rid of some boominess, but which box plans would you recommend purchasing for a trial run on an upright cab? They come with a list of recommended drivers as I understand so I could purchase the appropriate driver after choosing the appropriate plan. I just figured if I wanted really clear sound, that something here would work well, because of all the extremely hard work Bill has put into designing these boxes.

After this, then I'll get into home theater which I am very excited about and I know there are many options here that work for that :)

LelandCrooks

#7 Post by LelandCrooks »

If you were doing anything but Bill's cabs those faitals would be good for upright. These cabs, the box takes care of all that stuff.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

dbhokie

#8 Post by dbhokie »

Well I still really want to build one of these cabs, I'll build a different faital cab sometime...which one would you guys recommend I build out of BIll's designs for this particular application.

By the way, I know you are all sound enthusiasts here, but something I find humorous. With Stringed orchestral instruments, you can play with a bow, well I play my DB with a bow sometimes, these bows require rosin. My dog ate my rosin yesterday, a whole cake of it.

Things my dog has eaten:

Rocks in excess of 1 inch circumference
large pieces of rubber
Remote controller
Glasses
Rosin
Pens
Coasters

I let him out yesterday and he sought out more resin, I turned around and he was carrying a 6 foot 2x4 in his mouth around the yard.

(If it helps make sense, he is an English Mastiff 19 months)

67baja

#9 Post by 67baja »

That's funny, but scary. My buddy's great dane ate a kong toy that got stuck in his intestines which required $5k of surgery to save him. My dog just eats the stuffing out of soft toys. Then he poops yarn in the back yard.
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

dbhokie

#10 Post by dbhokie »

67baja wrote:That's funny, but scary. My buddy's great dane ate a kong toy that got stuck in his intestines which required $5k of surgery to save him. My dog just eats the stuffing out of soft toys. Then he poops yarn in the back yard.

Thankfully..rosin is just pine sap..and he is large enough it didn't seem to cause an issue.

A kong toy would be rough..Now the chew toys for my pup are rope, and real bones...he destroys kong toys too quickly (they aren't cheap) and swallows too large of pieces of them (like you said with your buddy's great dane). They might be good for little dogs..but after 6 months they just couldn't take it anymore with mine.

dbhokie

#11 Post by dbhokie »

I don't seem to be getting a lot of response here, but onto another question. Once again I am fascinated with these designs, and I want to build some, it seems they are not well-suited as a cab for a double bass as I was hoping maybe one was, so instead I decided to take one of the faital's I had and build a box myself for it.

However,

Now that I am going down the road with that project, that leads me to project #2.

I am very motivated to build some of these. Here is where I am at currently:

I play a lot of gigs year round, generally for most gigs we don't even need a PA really, we just use our amps (You don't need 3k watts for a bar or other medium sized venue imo), however we are getting into playing larger gigs and more outdoor gigs. I want to build the PA system myself:

Here is what I am thinking:

2 DR250s
2 Wedgehorn 6
1 Tuba 24

I want decently easy portable combined with power enough for an outside venue with a couple hundred people. We play mostly folk-acoustic type music, so incredibly loud blaring rock or rap sound is not what we look for here so much as widely dispersed even clear sound. Which is why I have come to want to build some of these brilliantly designed cabs. So I am thinking of purchasing these three plans. Can someone just maybe guide me a little bit, and say at least well I think you are on the right track...or for what you want I would recommend this?

whines

#12 Post by whines »

I'd strongly consider T39's instead of T24's, especially for outdoors. If packspace makes them an option of course.
2xJ15, THT, 4xT39 3012 (2x15", 2x20"), 2xSLA Pro, 2x short SLA Pro (Dayton), W6

dbhokie

#13 Post by dbhokie »

whines wrote:I'd strongly consider T39's instead of T24's, especially for outdoors. If packspace makes them an option of course.

I believe I could squeeze a 39 in, that would probably be better after looking again. Id like to do it with just one.

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

dbhokie wrote:
whines wrote:I'd strongly consider T39's instead of T24's, especially for outdoors. If packspace makes them an option of course.

I believe I could squeeze a 39 in, that would probably be better after looking again. Id like to do it with just one.
Outside, that ratio of tops to subs is backwards. You need at least two, if not 4 subs to match the DR250s. You can do two OT12s and match up pretty well with a pair of T39s. But, one sub just ain't gonna' cut it outside....not if you want any bottom end coverage at all. Unless, you are playing to a tiny place with a small crowd.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

dbhokie

#15 Post by dbhokie »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
dbhokie wrote:

I believe I could squeeze a 39 in, that would probably be better after looking again. Outside, that ratio of tops to subs is backwards. You need at least two, if not 4 subs to match the DR250s. You can do two OT12s and match up pretty well with a pair of T39s. But, one sub just ain't gonna' cut it outside....not if you want any bottom end coverage at all. Unless, you are playing to a tiny place with a small crowd.....
I vastly underestimate then, I could build more and just take as I need as the crowd demands, better coverage would be nice while bowing a low e on a db...what about the dr200 tops with a pair of t39s...I should mention while my knowledge of sound engineering is rudimentary, my woodworking skills and small electrical are quite advanced.