Building New Front of House Cabs

DWIrish

Building New Front of House Cabs

#1 Post by DWIrish »

Hey Folks,
Just ordered all Bill's plans. I'm an old fart (58) rocker. Our 3-piece band fell apart a few years ago but recently got reloaded. New drummer is really good. So...
I'm building 4-T39's, 2-DR250's, and 2-wedgehorn 10's (monitors) to replace the JBL cabs I sold after our impasse (4-18" subs and 2-15"/horn mains). I'm about
half way through the T39's and ordered all the hardware, speakers, etc. Just wanted to say hello and pose a couple of noob questions here so I don't get flamed on the
big board..chuckle, chuckle. I'm using Lab 12's in a 22" T39 (22" to match width of Dr250's), I understand the sub placement to some extent, but for narrow club apps;
could the T39's be set upside down and V-coupled vertically, and pole mount the Dr250's above them? I was also thinking that casters on the T39's would be better
placed on the top since that's where the weight is? I'm building the angled back version and putting a grab bar on the other angle. Thanks in advance for any help.
ST. patty's day is just around the corner! Cheers...

DWIrish aka Dave :mrgreen:

Bruce Weldy

Re: Building New Front of House Cabs

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

No, you don't need to turn 'em upside down.....and you certainly don't want to put pole in 'em to put the tops on.

Subs should not be split ..... with a few exceptions. It creates all kinds of hole out there where the bass disappears.

You can face 'em toward a wall or v-plate them laying on their sides.

I'm sure someone will post the link to the sub placement thread.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

DWIrish

#3 Post by DWIrish »

Thanks for the input Bruce. I was planning on the "V coupling"; I was just wondering if V-coupling could
be accomplished with the cabs. in the upright position (right side up or vise versa). This is a question for
space reasons (tight club set-ups). As far as the caster/handle position; what do you recommend; top or bottom
since the weight is at the speaker end. I was thinking about putting a pole mount in the V couple itself. Again;
I'm looking at limited space/ club set-ups. I was planning on facing the v'd subs to the side walls. One of my
best buddies lives in Houston. Cheers! :mrgreen:

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

You should keep all 4 subs together if at all possible. Put your tops on stands and don't even consider putting a pole in the v-plate or a sub itself. That's the wrong way to do it. If you have to stand 'em up - that's fine. V-plating is done when they are laying flat. The plate increases the horn length and size. You wouldn't get much help try to do that with 'em standing up. Even on their heads.

You can position subs in a cluster to one side of the stage either with the backs to the wall or facing the wall. I typically end up with them right in front of the stage facing out. I do this whether with BFM subs or the JBLs I run with another band.

Got in a pinch last week in a situation where we were set up in the corner of a really big convention center room with short wall jutting out. No way to wall load and the band was on the floor - couldn't really put the subs in front. So, I held my nose and split the subs and put the speakers on top. I hated it. Power alleys all over the place. Fortunately, it was a short gig and the crowd was happy. But, it really sucked to me.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Here's the link to the placement sticky...
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... f=10&t=398

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

DWIrish

#6 Post by DWIrish »

Thanks Bruce. I already have the stands for the mains. Cheers

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I like your build plan...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

DWIrish

#8 Post by DWIrish »

Grant Bunter wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I like your build plan...

Thanks Grant,
Your build looks familiar. All the speakers showed up today. Might post up some pics of progress
if I get the chance. Cheers Mate. Australia trip is on our "bucket list". :D