Hello from Missoula, Montana

jdelys

Hello from Missoula, Montana

#1 Post by jdelys »

Hello all. My name is Jeff Delys and I have been bitten by the horn loaded speaker bug. Hard. I've no experience with them nor do I know anyone that does, but am extremely interested in horn loaded construction techniques and performance properties. I have built many speakers over the years but all were boring rectangular boxes, some with round holes in the sides, and all sound really good.

I've a bit of dilemma in that I do not provide professional sound services nor do I play in a band that gigs. I do, however, really want to try my hand at building both a Titan39 and a DR250. Already have the plans. What the ?ell am I going to do with them though???? And apparently I have to build at least a pair of Titans to sound good. I have a good job and make enough money that I do not want to build stuff for sale. I have a well-equiped wood shop and live in the middle of four acres in the country with awesome neighbors who never complain about noise. At least not yet.

Here goes another useless adventure that is going to cost a lot of money but it sure does look like fun!

jdelys

Re: Hello from Missoula, Montana

#2 Post by jdelys »

PS - Here's my other out-of-control hobby. I can build them WAY better then playing them.

CoronaOperator

#3 Post by CoronaOperator »

jdelys wrote:

I've a bit of dilemma ... I have a well-equiped wood shop and live in the middle of four acres in the country with awesome neighbors who never complain about noise.
That's definitely a problem you have there. You may want to buy the whole CD of plans to help you with that.

Welcome to the forum.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum :)

Yes, you certainly have a problem!

Sure Titans go better in groups.
Wait up! Stick one in an appropriate corner, and that's the same as 4 cabs output wise...

Party central at your place sometime soon???
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Chris_Allen

#5 Post by Chris_Allen »

jdelys wrote:PS - Here's my other out-of-control hobby. I can build them WAY better then playing them.

No kiddin'!

That hay is immaculate.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

67baja

#6 Post by 67baja »

You sound so much like me, i almost feel bad for you! Look at my list of cabs below and tell me I haven't been bitten. And no I don't do any pro sound stuff either. I have one of the loudest garages in Vegas tho! It's completely ridiculous the amount of money energy I have put into impressing my family and friends. Mostly I build because I am ADD and MUST learn a completely new and unrelated skill about every 5 years.

On second thought I don't feel bad for you at all. Quite the opposite in fact. You are in for a great time learning experience!
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

jdelys

#7 Post by jdelys »

Thanks for the welcome everyone. This certainly is a good board to be on. 67Baja - You really struck a chord with your comment about a new hobby every five years! Really creepy resemblance here. I'll admit my current obsession has been building guitars but I'm now on the tail end of that five-year plan and sure enough, look whats happening.

Rich4349

#8 Post by Rich4349 »

Welcome to the forum!
You're in good company: I've had to contort myself into being singer kind of sound guy, not being a dj or musician already.
Maybe you could host events for the thousands of cyclists riding their bikes through your area? (Adventurecycling.com)
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!