Hello from Iowa!

kpeyton

Hello from Iowa!

#1 Post by kpeyton »

Hi everyone!

I've been reading everything I can on the site and in the forum. I've been trying to learn some of the finer details of speaker design and selection along with system design, setup and processing. I have always been interested in audio and electronics. I did a lot of basic car audio work for myself and friend in my earlier years which helped feed my desire to learn more. My experience with live sound started in my small high school where I ran sound for plays, musicals, and other events. I also started doing some DJ work at that time.

I continued to do some DJ work in college where my fraternity had a couple sound systems that I helped maintain and improve. When I got there, all their equipment was loose and tossed around with the audio being patched right into the amp. I got a mixer and case to turn all the various components (cd player, tuner) into a usable, dummy proof system.

Since school I've continued to do some DJ work here and there, but it's always been on borrowed equipment. I wound up finding this fine section of the internet when researching speakers. A friend and myself decided to startup a audio equipment rental business. The driver was partially to service a couple weddings I had this summer and his own wedding this fall. We also see a market and lack of supply in our area. We've both been frustrated when looking for good rental options.

Another of my hobbies that I've been developing is woodworking. I've always had a knack for building things, but wanted to explore the fine woodworking field. It seems that although purists may not call speaker building "fine woodworking", it will be woodworking that I will greatly enjoy!

I've decided that I can only learn so much by reading and am fixing to start my first build of a Tuba 24. I'm sure I will have lots of questions along the way, I'll say thanks in advance because it looks like the forum support is awesome.

-Kevin

Tom Smit

Re: Hello from Iowa!

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi Kevin, and welcome!
Enjoy your builds! I wish you success in your ventures!
TomS

jswingchun

#3 Post by jswingchun »

Where in Iowa are you from? I am from the Cedar Rapids area.
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Welcome to the forum Kevin :)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

kpeyton

#5 Post by kpeyton »

Thanks everyone. I'm from the Des Moines area.

bjm362

#6 Post by bjm362 »

kpeyton wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm from the Des Moines area.
So you are from the Buckeye state, and the Capitol to boot!
I wasn't sure there really was music outside the central sections of the country! JK! LOL!
Well welcome aboard and the best to you!
In order to have a dream come true, you must first dream it!

Ryan A

#7 Post by Ryan A »

Welcome. If you're ever up in the twin cities and want to know what a (small) stack of T39's sounds like PM me.

jswingchun

#8 Post by jswingchun »

kpeyton wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm from the Des Moines area.
I don't get out that way with my system, but let me know if you ever get out this way and we have something lined up.
bjm362 wrote:So you are from the Buckeye state, and the Capitol to boot!
The Buckeye state would be Ohio. Like Ohio, we have a vowel at the front and the back of the name of our state, but we are the Hawkeye state. :lol:
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

bjm362

#9 Post by bjm362 »

My apologies sir, I think I may have been multitasking a bit to much at that time. Since I screwed that up I won't try and add any more humor at the moment. Nonetheless definitely, welcome aboard!
In order to have a dream come true, you must first dream it!