Hello from San Fran Jose!

audaibnjad

Hello from San Fran Jose!

#1 Post by audaibnjad »

Hi all!

I'm John, living in Silicon Valley -- and, as one might expect from that neck of the woods, a software engineer.

I was introduced to Bill's speakers when constructing an art car for Burning Man -- the Love Potion Amphora. We're now the proud owners of a moving light & sound platform that we drive around to entertain the masses. The recycled school bus is converted into a 35' long illuminated vase (complete with downstairs lounge, upstairs dance floor & DJ booth inside the bottle, and over 7000 individually controlled LEDs for lighting). We host a variety of DJs, but most have a strong electronic music bent. I tried to find a good "action shot" which shows the vehicle & speakers at Burning Man; here's the best I could find:
Love Potion Amphora at Burning Man

And the inside dance floor, currently with a couple Yamaha S115IV's:
Upstairs dance floor

We have a two DR280s (you can see one mounted on a pole just behind the bottle, the other is on the hood smack in front of the driver -- don't ask how we drive it around...) and a couple T60s mounted underneath the bus in the back. The cabs were built by another guy 3+ years ago, but I didn't take much interest in them 'til recently.

After browsing the site, I couldn't help but think "oh yeah, I could build one of those" for just about every speaker.
We could replace the Yamahas with a couple J110s, or maybe DR200s
What could go wrong with another pair of DR280s outside?
And another couple T60s would be nice (as long as they don't drag on the ground when we drive around...)
And maybe some SLAs for the downstairs lounge

And well, why stop at our art car? There's the rest of life!
My roommate complains that she can hardly hear her 5-string bass at her jams -- maybe a J112 (or a wedgehorn 10?)
And a THT would be nice in the living room (yay for 40+" sliding glass doors!)
And I could try out the TLAH, with some SLAs for surrounds
And come to think of it, my car could use an AT

Now, to find a free year or two....

Many years ago my table saw got converted into, well, just a table. It's time to clean out the garage and get back to woodworking!

Given all that, I splurged on the entire set of plans -- two weeks ago... unfortunately, I think they're shipped by a special breed of load-carrying snails. But that's given me some time to read over the forums, waste time on reading speaker specs, and learn about acoustics & concert sound & horn design & ... so many things.

67baja

Re: Hello from San Fran Jose!

#2 Post by 67baja »

Welcome to the forum! And good riddance to ALL your old hobbies. You didn't need them anyway! Good call on buying the whole CD, but I don't know why you haven't received it yet - that's not the norm. Your Burning Man rig looks amazing! I can only imagine how many man hours (and money) went into building that.
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

Welcome to the forum from an Aussie :)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum, John!

Enjoy your builds when you get to them!

Did you make the right sort of payment for the CD?
TomS

audaibnjad

#5 Post by audaibnjad »

Thanks for the welcomes!

Yes, I got confirmation (from paypal) that the goods were shipped via "Parcel Post". But I didn't get any other confirmation (say, from Bill). The internet tells me parcel post can take up to a couple weeks -- so I'm not too worried (yet), just antsy.

I already have way too many hobbies. Some of them will probably stick around for a while -- I think my unique WAF (or "FAF", in my case) would be impacts to our partner acrobatics training schedule.
Photo of us doing acrobatics in front of the Amphora
On the other hand, we both already spend a lot of time maintaining & upgrading the Amphora (it's fun, but a lot of work!). I'll see if I can get her to build one of the cabs under the guise of "art car improvements". :fingers:

jswingchun

#6 Post by jswingchun »

audaibnjad wrote:My roommate complains that she can hardly hear her 5-string bass at her jams -- maybe a J112 (or a wedgehorn 10?)
Not a WH10, a J112 Lite!! Then maybe a second one for that extra bit to push over the top when needed.
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

bjm362

#7 Post by bjm362 »

Welcome aboard!
In order to have a dream come true, you must first dream it!