Howdy from The Lone Star State!

TXATC

Howdy from The Lone Star State!

#1 Post by TXATC »

Howdy all!

I've been lurking for a bit and dreaming about what setup to use in my dedicated "movie Room" as my toddlers call it. I decided to join up and see if the community would be willing to help.

I have been in the house for about a year now and have been making do with a big box store Onkyo HTiB. I have the "movie Room" measured at 13'w x 22'd x 9'h with a 120" screen on the 13' wall. (No choice on placement, only place it will fit) However, I am quickly becoming unsatisfied with the box speakers. (Of course this has NOTHING to do with the fact that my neighbor has finally put his movie room together with a set of Jamo 5.1 with a Denon AVR) :roll:

My family and I are HUGE movie fans. Yeah the Mrs. loves her rom-coms, and the kiddos watch just about every animated title there is, I myself am the rest. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, War, Racing, Action. You name it I dig it. With the current setup I am wishing for more. Jurassic Park, when the raptors growl off screen, I want to hear them behind/beside me (I miss that). Another well known part I miss is the hum of the pods in Ep 1. We had the room specifically built to eliminate the movie theater altogether. Now its more of a really big TV room. 80%movies/10%NCAAF/10%BF4.

My question to the community is about my proposed setup.

SLA's for L/R (6 mid versions)
Curved SLA Center (Has to go horizontal)(6 mid version)
SLA's for all others (currently 5.1(wired for 7.1) using the 4 mid version)
T18 stuck in the corner for the boom.

How do ya'll think that this setup would work? I have toyed with the idea of 2 T18's and can work with that. I am a little worried that the T18 will not be enough for my wants. I do like to feel the boom a bit( okay lets face it ALOT) If this will not be enough then I will have to look at something else. Real estate is at a premium so the bigger boxes wont work it this space. I MAY be able to run one of the LP ones. Assuming I can integrate and gain WAF.

Thank you for all of your knowledge I've lurked up so far! I hope to be able to contribute at some time in the future (When I know more :lol: ) Thank you in advance for any help. Thank you for your time.

Semper Fi
TX
Semper Fi
TX

SoundInMotionDJ

Re: Howdy from The Lone Star State!

#2 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

Welcome.

I'd build a pair of Davids and forget the rest. That will more than cover 90% of the likely content.

Alternatively, build all the SLA's and add a THT for the boom. ;)
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

SoundInMotionDJ wrote: build all the SLA's and add a THT for the boom.
Or a TT or two. T18 is a 40Hz speaker, anything less than 30Hz capability with a 120" screen is like putting a 120HP engine in a Maserati. :cussing:

67baja

#4 Post by 67baja »

Definitely go with more sub than a t18 for movies. Look long and hard at a tht long style and your room. You can make the tht long into a bench or stand it on end in a corner.
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

bjm362

#5 Post by bjm362 »

What a Sooner saying Welcome to a Texan? You bet... this ain't Football! Welcome aboard TXATC!
I am new here myself but this place is proving to be interesting to me!
Just out of curiosity, what part of Tejas? I am in OKC Myself!
Oh wait, you need a good sound system so you can really hear those hits when the Sooners wallop Texas in the Red River Rivalry!

Well I can't hand out advice on builds....yet! In the environment you describe I would have to consider the ease of construction and depth of reproduction of a simplex sub though!
In order to have a dream come true, you must first dream it!

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you'll have a good experience here,.....and at home!

Are you able to locate any subs outside the room, and have the mouths open to the room through a grille? (subs= 2, to control room modes) :twisted:

TLAH for the mains, SLA for the centre, and one- or two-driver boxes for the surrounds.
TomS

SeisTres

#7 Post by SeisTres »

TXATC wrote:Howdy all!

T18 stuck in the corner for the boom.

TX
Eww. (this is coming from someone who praises the t18 when everything is factored in)

Installing a t18 in such a set up AND for aficionados as you've described would be a sin. The minimum I can recommend would a table tuba (or two as Bill has pointed out) but for movies and games I would definitely try for the THT. I'm not much for sound in movies, my system is set up for music as its main priority but the table tuba will handle movies/games nicely at least.

As for the main speakers, I would actually skip on all the sla's and would only use them for L/C/R. Not worth it. You want the main L/R speaker with all the headroom and clarity you can get as well as the center. However, on the center you can leave out the tweets as the center does just fine without them. The others are simply fills and most of the time is just effects but nothing really important. You still get the immersion with cheaper and less time consuming speakers than sla's.

And one last thing, if you're really serious about the sound, you will need to get familiar with eq'ing. There is a big difference between running the subs with 10+/-db peaks and dips as opposed to having the whole range of the sub within 2+/- db.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

TXATC

#8 Post by TXATC »

Wow, such a response overnight.

So general consensus is SLA's will work. T18 will not.

Movie room is above the garage. So I think a TTLS will be about all the boom the room can consume. Heheh (Judoon platoon upon the moon) :lol:

I think that even if this setup is lacking for my room, I can end up foisting (see also selling for a shameless profit) to my brother and build bigger and better.

I cant recess the sub into the storage areas off the sides (those are the wife's) I may have to put the TTLS upright on castors so I can move it when not in use.

One more question if ya'll would indulge me. Center will be horizontal ABOVE the screen. Would angling the cab down (toe in for L/R) be a prudent option or will hanging them flush on the wall be a good enough solution for a room my size?

Again, Thank You all so much for your feedback and the warm welcome. I am really looking forward to becoming part of the BFM family and drowning out the neighbors. :D As soon as I get some feedback on this last question, I will be purchasing the plans. Definitely today. Yeah. Excited. :hyper:

Semper Fi.
TX
Semper Fi
TX

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

TXATC wrote:Center will be horizontal ABOVE the screen.
You should have the cab angled down so that the axis is aimed at the primary listening position.

TXATC

#10 Post by TXATC »

Thank you sir. Order incoming.

Semper Fi
TX
Semper Fi
TX

bjm362

#11 Post by bjm362 »

I am wishing you the best with yours...and placing my order today too!!!! We may have to have a friendly Red River Rivalry of our own...for the fun of it!

TXATC

#12 Post by TXATC »

Hoping to have em done in time for the Shootout. (yes I still call it "The Shootout" I'm not PC. So sue me. :lol: ) Hope your build goes well also. If you beat me to it, I may have to stop by when I visit family up there.
Semper Fi
TX

bjm362

#13 Post by bjm362 »

TXATC wrote:Hoping to have em done in time for the Shootout. (yes I still call it "The Shootout" I'm not PC. So sue me. :lol: ) Hope your build goes well also. If you beat me to it, I may have to stop by when I visit family up there.
COOL! I have family in Texas as well! I can't travel that distance at the moment, but I am hoping my health continues to improve!