Hello from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma!

bjm362

Re: Hello from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma!

#31 Post by bjm362 »

jswingchun wrote:I sure hope you do a build thread on the forum. I can't wait for that. If you do I'm going to pop a big bowl of popcorn and watch that one.
Yeah, hopefully this storyline works out in the end where I wind up having been the skeptic and become a strong advocate...but at the moment I am in wait and see mode.
Edit:
One thing to remember though is that I watched some of the same changes occur that Mr Fitzmaurice did, and from the look of his cab I would say he and I have very similar ideas about how sound systems should perform. My actual expertise during the part of my life I made my living in entertainment was on the user end, but I certainly have had to know the hows and whys to make things work correctly. So I think there is a very strong chance this works out.
In order to have a dream come true, you must first dream it!

Grant Bunter

#32 Post by Grant Bunter »

bjm362 wrote: Yeah, hopefully this storyline works out in the end where I wind up having been the skeptic and become a strong advocate...but at the moment I am in wait and see mode.
Edit:
One thing to remember though is that I watched some of the same changes occur that Mr Fitzmaurice did, and from the look of his cab I would say he and I have very similar ideas about how sound systems should perform. My actual expertise during the part of my life I made my living in entertainment was on the user end, but I certainly have had to know the hows and whys to make things work correctly. So I think there is a very strong chance this works out.
It's nothing new to most of the forum members to see scepticism.
I myself felt it took a leap of faith to build the designs, and financially, and sound/performance wise, am glad I did.

Please remember, this forum is for Bill's designs for the DIYer.
They are not the only cabs he designs by any means.
And I don't think you want the invoice for the "plans" for those "other" designs...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

bjm362

#33 Post by bjm362 »

Grant Bunter wrote:
bjm362 wrote: Yeah, hopefully this storyline works out in the end where I wind up having been the skeptic and become a strong advocate...but at the moment I am in wait and see mode.
Edit:
It's nothing new to most of the forum members to see scepticism.
I myself felt it took a leap of faith to build the designs, and financially, and sound/performance wise, am glad I did.

Please remember, this forum is for Bill's designs for the DIYer.
They are not the only cabs he designs by any means.
And I don't think you want the invoice for the "plans" for those "other" designs...
You know, I might if he wants the invoice for my services as a DJ.... I will even give him the rate from 1990. Not the rate I was getting paid though, the rate the talent agent was charging! Big discrepancy there!
Here is my first installment! JK! LOL!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLS0Med0s6E

bjm362

#34 Post by bjm362 »

Somehow this song seems appropriate about now! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQgYn23Xvck

bjm362

#35 Post by bjm362 »

I forgot to tell you guys that Tuesday I got the notice that my CD had shipped! I bet at least a few guys here still remember being excited to get that notice.
Being in Oklahoma, here we are kind of in the middle of everything. I could get it as early as Friday, or as late as next Wednesday! Shouldn't be long now though!
Since even the simpler designs have multiple pages to read, and driver matching to consider I may think about doing something different with some of the drivers I already have (and ideas that were already in my head)! Since I bought the cd, I have a lot of choices to consider on what best suits my needs and budget! Now I am back to having a bit of time to make good choices!
I have discussed a time frame with a buddy of mine that can work wonders with wood, so the more complex designs may not be out of the question!!! I may take a closer look at the DR series since he says December, January that he is very likely to have a lot of time available for such a project!!! The Omni fullrange series has also become more interesting to me as well! Especially the tallboy versions!

To add a bit of humor to this here is a quote from the Email. I guess even IT guys have to laugh once in a while!
"Please don't reply to this email. It'll just confuse the computer that sent it and you won't get a response."

jswingchun

#36 Post by jswingchun »

bjm362 wrote:I have discussed a time frame with a buddy of mine that can work wonders with wood, so the more complex designs may not be out of the question!!!
Be really careful with this. Sometimes those super woodworker guys look at the plans and say, "Oh, that's cool but I have a better way to do it" and end up causing problems. It has happened here numerous times.
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

bjm362

#37 Post by bjm362 »

jswingchun wrote:
bjm362 wrote:I have discussed a time frame with a buddy of mine that can work wonders with wood, so the more complex designs may not be out of the question!!!
Be really careful with this. Sometimes those super woodworker guys look at the plans and say, "Oh, that's cool but I have a better way to do it" and end up causing problems. It has happened here numerous times.
Thank you for the advice! This particular guy is also about 6'7" inches too! Most people can easily be intimidated by him as well! He is actually a really nice guy and pretty easy to work with though, and I don't expect in major issues if the "builder" route is absolutely necessary!
On further study of the plans, though I am starting to at least suspect that all but the most complicated builds I can accomplish, even with my bad back. I would have to do them in well planned small steps however. The plans are actually laid out where that isn't unreasonable. If I decide I have to have some Jack Lites though, getting some help would be preferred!
A Jack Lite 10 is the most likely that I would build using the exact recommended drivers. I don't happen to have any 10s laying around. I have looked at what my normal driver supplier has and in that scenario at least at the moment I think I would prefer the premium versions of the Eminence 10s.
All suggestions will at least be viewed and considered while I am in study mode!

Pulling this off in this time frame may be a minor miracle, due to my circumstances! I certainly am still taking a very serious interest in the DRs as well. The Jacks and the DRs Both have a tremendous level of useful potential even if their ideal settings are a bit different! There is alot to take in having gotten the CD, but that does leave me with a lot of good options available!