Hello from MN.

brfwizard

Hello from MN.

#1 Post by brfwizard »

Hi all,

Glad I found this site. Happened to be by chance I found it and glad I did. I have been designing my own carry-able radio for the last 3 months and almost ordered the speakers for it when I came across this site.
What I wanted to do is build the loudest but smallest package I could do and was planning on using the highest wattage 6x9's x 4 with a crown xls1000 built in with a car deck as the input. Now that I came across this site and other reasons I decided I can't do what I want. I am now interested in the jack 10 or 12 for the same purpose. It's small enough to be half way portable but will go loud. This will be used at my work in a location inside brick walls and 200 ft by 75 ft but also outside for bonfires at my house and in my garage for tunes. I like listening to loud music when I'm relaxing or working. I already talked to crown on previous design and crown said no problem with what I wanted to do. Since this is a diff animal Will a jack 10 or 12 work for this purpose? Anything maybe I'm not seeing? or possibly there is another one of bill's designs that will serve my purpose better?

67baja

Re: Hello from MN.

#2 Post by 67baja »

Jacks make great tailgating rigs. Super efficient, so they don't need much power to get LOUD. If your wood working skills are up to it, I would recommend a Jack Lite - either 10" or 12". I built a J12 for the heck of it that is solar powered and uses a phone or mp3 player for input. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

edit: found it: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... to#p231939
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

brfwizard

#3 Post by brfwizard »

67baja wrote:Jacks make great tailgating rigs. Super efficient, so they don't need much power to get LOUD. If your wood working skills are up to it, I would recommend a Jack Lite - either 10" or 12". I built a J12 for the heck of it that is solar powered and uses a phone or mp3 player for input. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

edit: found it: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... to#p231939

Sweet! Guess I'm not the only one thinking this way. I just didn't want to go buy plastic junk for $500 at the store. I was thinking of crown xls's because they were light and had the power to push the speakers I wanted. Now I guess I have to rethink amp setup to. Thanks for the reply. I'm not greatest with wood I guess but have done structure repairs to my house and built and tore down walls and built 6.5 conventional speaker boxes for surround sound with wood. Don't have a table saw but have anything else I would need. Always wanted a table saw so it gives me an excuse to buy one even though the kit seems to be fairly priced. Somebody on youtube had 2 jack 12's they finished and sound awesome. It was then I knew I was going about this the wrong way. Guess now I'm looking at what other people are for the reason why using horns instead of conventional speakers.

doncolga

#4 Post by doncolga »

brfwizard wrote:Hi all,

Glad I found this site.
This site is a complete *GEM* as well as the friendly people here. Nice to meet you.

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit »

doncolga wrote:
brfwizard wrote:Hi all,

Glad I found this site.
This site is a complete *GEM* as well as the friendly people here. Nice to meet you.

Donny
+1.
Welcome!
TomS