A reintroduction and back to building.

David Robinson

A reintroduction and back to building.

#1 Post by David Robinson »

I used to hang out here quite a bit some 5 or 6 years ago. Lots has changed/happened since then. I never got around to building the DR's I wanted to build, but I did manage to knock out some T39 subs. Back then, I was playing keys with a Trop-Rock band that was gigging in various formats (duo to a full band that would make Jimmy Buffett proud) about 120 times a year. That band folded in October of 2009 when the frontman/manager/booking agent was arrested and sentenced to 7 years. It seems there's some sort of an issue with a high school English teacher have an affair with one of his students. :cop: There's a whole lot of back-story that includes the firing of our drummer several months prior due to his affair with the aforementioned frontman's wife that I won't go into, but suffice it to say that because of my association with the incarcerated, I was pretty black-listed. Try as I might to distance myself professionally, when I'd try to book a similar band into the places we used to play, I couldn't get anything going so I gave up. The Titans we'd built were in with all his gear when it was sold to help with his legal expenses (but I think his son may have pulled the BP-102s...)

Which brings me to where I am now. We've got a decent 5-pc band going now, with a house gig at a little watering hole a half-mile from our house and we're trying to branch out. I'm bored with our current sub-less rig (2x15/HF horn cabs), my old Carvin board is on its last legs, etc. A new board is in the works, and I'm now contemplating building a pair of Lab12-loaded T39's and a pair (to start with) of Beta12-loaded OT12's.

It's good to see some familiar names still hanging around here.
I'm not a musician, but I play one in a band.

Grant Bunter

Re: A reintroduction and back to building.

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

G'day David,
You're before my time but you win hands down on the story thus far :)
So welcome back!

Man it's cruel when you get tarred with the same brush huh?

Your build plan sounds ideal...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Yo, welcome back! I remember your name, but the rest of your history here is rather murky for me.
TomS

Chris_Allen

#4 Post by Chris_Allen »

Ive been coming to this site every day for far too long........ :o

I was loving the story though, could be a best seller.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

David Robinson

#5 Post by David Robinson »

Chris_Allen wrote:Ive been coming to this site every day for far too long........ :o

I was loving the story though, could be a best seller.
I'm actually working on a book. There was his suicide attempt, followed by the mandatory Baker-acting (72 hour involuntary psychiatric hold) a couple weeks before his arrest. I picked him up at the hospital on a Saturday morning at 10:30am. We were set up and playing at 3pm.

And then there was the "interloping" drummer's contracting of "necrotizing fasciitis" and subsequent hospitalization. The singer's wife always answered the phone in his hospital room...

Lots of craziness (both good and bad) over the years. He and I go back to 1980 or so.

88h88

#6 Post by 88h88 »

Y'know sometimes I watch Jerry Springer and can't honestly imagine people having so much drama in their lives, mine is massively 'boring' in comparison. It almost seems unreal.

Anyway welcome back.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Chris_Allen

#7 Post by Chris_Allen »

Only last week I swept up some leaves and one of the cats threw up!
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

88h88

#8 Post by 88h88 »

I haven't bothered with the leaves and our cat is too stupid to do anything mildly interesting. I need some action. I might go out at the weekend and kiss all the ladies.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

LelandCrooks

#9 Post by LelandCrooks »

Welcome back Dave. Yea, some of us old timers are still around.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

David Robinson wrote: I'm actually working on a book. There was his suicide attempt, followed by the mandatory Baker-acting (72 hour involuntary psychiatric hold) a couple weeks before his arrest. I picked him up at the hospital on a Saturday morning at 10:30am. We were set up and playing at 3pm.
And then there was the "interloping" drummer's contracting of "necrotizing fasciitis" and subsequent hospitalization. The singer's wife always answered the phone in his hospital room...
Lots of craziness (both good and bad) over the years. He and I go back to 1980 or so.
Pretty average stuff where musicians are concerned. :wink:

David Robinson

#11 Post by David Robinson »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
David Robinson wrote: I'm actually working on a book. There was his suicide attempt, followed by the mandatory Baker-acting (72 hour involuntary psychiatric hold) a couple weeks before his arrest. I picked him up at the hospital on a Saturday morning at 10:30am. We were set up and playing at 3pm.
Pretty average stuff where musicians are concerned. :wink:
I'll send you the first draft. You might think otherwise.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#12 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

David Robinson wrote:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Pretty average stuff where musicians are concerned. :wink:
I'll send you the first draft. You might think otherwise.
I doubt it. My various adventures make Forrest Gump's seem rather mundane by comparison, and I'm pretty boring compared to some of the guys I've hung out with.

Charles Jenkinson

#13 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Looks like there's going to have to be a duel.

Hello David. :-)
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.