Portable PA

Sknny

Re: Portable PA

#16 Post by Sknny »

Michael,

That is what I am talking about, very nice finishing and look, can you tell me more about the overall power of those units?

Sknny

#17 Post by Sknny »

Michael,

That is what I am talking about, nice job.

What are the overall specs for those?

Michael Ewald Hansen

#18 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

Well in those builds i linked to I just used beta10 drivers as they would be lower power cabs (max 50w) so I didnt need the ekstra power handling.. They are either built with TA2020 amplifier or TK2050 biamped using a miniDSP.. With a regular 28Ah golf car battery they run approx 50-70 hours on full volume with the TA2020 and around 20 hours with the TK2050 - this is loud enough for a party of 50 people easy..
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

Sknny

#19 Post by Sknny »

Michael,

What I found in the states is the TK2050 puts 2X100W and the Beta 10' driver (Eminence) does 250W RMS and 500W Max. I am correct? you mention that your drivers don't go over 50W so I am looking something wrong?

A 28Ah battery will do for me just Ok, I really need the unit to do 10-15 hours on one run.

I really like the mini tweeters you do in the front, are just a decor or are part of the system?

Michael Ewald Hansen

#20 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

Sknny wrote:Michael,

What I found in the states is the TK2050 puts 2X100W and the Beta 10' driver (Eminence) does 250W RMS and 500W Max. I am correct? you mention that your drivers don't go over 50W so I am looking something wrong?

A 28Ah battery will do for me just Ok, I really need the unit to do 10-15 hours on one run.

I really like the mini tweeters you do in the front, are just a decor or are part of the system?
The Beta 10 won't handle nearly 250w when used fullrange - they will probably reach xmax somewhere around 100-150w - atleast they will start to distort horribly around that point.. What I meant was, in this use (battery saving) I didnt need more power handling than what the Beta10 had, so I didnt need to use the recommended premium driver (Deltalite 2510) - the reason being, that the amplifiers simply couldnt push the beta 10 beyond its capabilities..

And the TK2050 only outputs 2x100w if it has a 30volt supply - around 2x57w with a 24volt supply (two batteries in series) and the max output with a 12v supply in to two 8 ohm drivers in parallel is around 2x25w..

The tweeters used are the standard 1016 goldwood piezo tweeters that Bill recommends for flat and melded arrays.. This is standard and explained well in the plans..
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

BrentEvans

#21 Post by BrentEvans »

I did some extensive research on this about a year ago for a client. We looked at commercial units and built units. What we came up with is that by the time you factor in build cost and all the parts needed, the best thing to do is just buy something. If you build the cab... you also have to factor in Amp, DSP/EQ if needed, Mixer, mics, batteries, power supply, etc, and you end up with a heavy bulky conglomeration of mismatched parts. They opted to buy something (Teachlogic Titan, I think).

Here's what you need to do this:

Cab parts: $300 (Sheet of plywood, Simplexx 10 deluxe driver kit, can of duratex, accessories). Using the simplexx means you don't have to worry about DSP.
Amp board: $85 This 2x180w@8ohms provides 180W per channel to 2 channels at 8 ohms, so it allows for an expansion cab later.
Mixer: $150 Something like the Rolls RM-69 that is rackmountable (built on the top of the cab in a compartment). The rolls takes 15VDC, so you'll need a transformer to come off your 24 volt supply
24 volt batteries: $50. You'll need 2, these are scooter batteries, 10ah per battery, which gives you 20ah life.
CD Multiplayer: $250
Dual wireless mic system: $200 This AKG unit is small and cheap, but you can use just about whatever you want here.. just build it into the cabinet.
Misc. parts: $100. You'll need a 24v to 12v transformer to power the accessories, and some kind of charging system for the batteries, as well as some kind of disconnect (relay, manual, whatever) to prevent the electronics from getting fried by the charger.
The whole box will require extra space for the electronics, so you either build it as an "airhead" which makes it a bit topheavy, or put them on the bottom, which means you'd have to look at an external tophat.

Total cost: $885 (or so). You could cut out some expense if you don't need the wireless mics or CD player... but the rest of it is pretty much necessary.

Good luck!
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Tom Smit

#22 Post by Tom Smit »

Micheal said: The size of the J210 with a pair of corner mounted castors and a trolley handle on the back will make it very portable.. A few examples of J210's i've built for customers:
Good work, Micheal.
TomS