Need a builder and advice (someone who has availability now)

windcrest77

Need a builder and advice (someone who has availability now)

#1 Post by windcrest77 »

Hi,

I need a small PA with sub system built, soon, like now, actually more like yesterday. The priority is more on the quality of the sound than volume. It will be used in small ballroom dance studios as my traveling system, and in my own basement dance studio (I teach dance). It should be as light as possible (maybe Italian poplar plywood?), and probably the neodymium speaker version in the SLA's. Just black painted with that crinkle finish. It could I suppose be described as a system that is somewhere between a bigish home stereo and a smallish PA system. It needs to sound smooth and have accurate base. The typical dance studio size is 50 people with maybe 800 to 1400 square feet of wood floor area and drop ceilings typical of a strip mall unit. The type of music is NOT going to be anything where I would want it tuned to the bass drum typical in techno/disco music, it will be dance music like waltzes, fox trot, cha cha, tango, swing, Frank Sinatra, stuff like that etc. BUT I do need good bass extension to fully realize an upright string bass and its undertones, the "punch" would be from that instrument (upright bass), not a bass drum. Also need pole mount cavities for the SLA's.

I was thinking of the following system:

2 SLA Pro minis (the one with only 2 speakers)
1 Auto Tuba 22x20x19

I think I can carry all that on a flat dolly at once from my car.

Does this look like it will work for me? Do these balance out ok sub/speaker-wise?

And is there anyone here that can do it, I really don't have the time to do it myself and need to get this started. From what I've been reading this should be better than a couple of 6 inch Chinese-made Samson speakers from Guitar Center right? Down the road I'll like a second bigger system built, but this one should cover 90% of my teaching and party hosting work in small dance studios today,which is what I need. Advice from anyone welcome, and hopefully someone available to make and ship.

Thanks
Rick

Bruce Weldy

Re: Need a builder and advice (someone who has availability

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

You didn't say where you are, but you can try one of these guys...

http://billfitzmaurice.net/Builders.html

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

windcrest77

#3 Post by windcrest77 »

Bruce Weldy wrote:You didn't say where you are, but you can try one of these guys...

Thanks, I saw that, was hoping to also run my choices past a few folks to make sure I'm on the right track. And maybe hear from others who did small PA's. Mostly if I should be using the Tuba 24x16 or Tuba 18 instead of the Auto Tuba, I'm thinking the AT might be smoother and deeper, and the Tuba 24x16 punchier but not smoother, not sure. The AT is a nice size with a handle it seems. My music would not benefit from bass peaks. I hope to get some advice before I contact someone with a wood shop.

windcrest77

#4 Post by windcrest77 »

Bruce Weldy wrote:You didn't say where you are, but you can try one of these guys...

I'm in IL, in southwest Chicago suburbs.

windcrest77

#5 Post by windcrest77 »

windcrest77 wrote:

I'm in IL, in southwest Chicago suburbs.
I'm reading that the AT needs to be in a small space of a car to perform to spec. So thinking I need to use the T24 or 18.

sine143

#6 Post by sine143 »

use a pair of slim t39s instead of any of the other solutions. OR, try and get up with http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 11&t=19914 and see if he's still got his stuff (cant get much better than 100/125 a cab) for t24s.

I've used an autotuba (16" wide) in a live sound situation, it was... okay, for about 15 people. t39 is what you want, even over t18, or t24, givin its much more sensitive and has equivalent extension

alternativly, a pair of jack 10s (lites if you really want, although this will extend build time) on sticks, as your simplest solution (from a power situation, box hauling situation, and setup situation). both the t39 and jack series are heralded for their ability to handle a bass guitar, so either ones should serve your needs.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

DJPhatman

#7 Post by DJPhatman »

windcrest77, once you purchase your plans, you are free to hire anyone to build cabs for you. They may not build any for themselves or anyone else without purchasing plans.

I know you are in a hurry, but you have not mentioned how you plan to power your cabs. Do you have decent, professional power amps, along with the signal processing required? All of the pro-sound subs (Autotuba and T18 are not pro-sound and not recommended) require hard limiting. And, any system will require an equalizer to adjust the in-room response. You will also need a music source, and you didn't mention if you will be making announcements through the system. If you will make announcements or need a microphone for anything, you will need a mixer.

My suggestion would be a Pair of DR200s and a pair of slim T39s. This is a proven system for dance recitals, put on by forum member "SoundInMotionDJ". He is in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas and teaches dance. He has a scale-able system of DR200 and T39.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice