Hi there from NorCal

gda659

Hi there from NorCal

#1 Post by gda659 »

I've been turning the knobs and pushing and pulling the sliders on the mixer at my church for the last year and a half, all the while bemoaning the lack of real subs. The overall sound is improving as I apply what I experience and learn, but we have no decent low end. I need to bin the no-name 2-way 15" Chinese origin speakers we're running the lows through.
I stumbled upon Bill Fitzmaurice's speaker designs last week and it looks like the T45's should work for us. The slims will fit under the stage so as not to offend those concerned with aesthetics and will have almost two inches of clearance to the bottom of the stage. We're in a small room, 31' x 49' with a 10' ceiling--not the best space, but at least we aren't setting up every week in a gym. There's six 4'x5' panels of 3" thick OC 703 on the back wall and rear of the side walls to help tame the space. (The sound desk is backed up to the back wall and the bare wall reflections contributed to harming my hearing when I started this journey.)
At least I have a Crown XTi4000 and QSC amp to work with. I'd love to add a DBX DriveRack PA+, too. Maybe some day.
I found the best 1/2" plywood in a 30 mile radius from home today and ordered a couple 10" drivers. I'm armed with enough tools and woodworking experience to make doing a good build well within the realm of possibility. It's summer vacation and it's time to get busy.

Grant Bunter

Re: Hi there from NorCal

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi gda659,
Welcome to the forum :)

If you go with one of Bill's designs, sadly I have to say the DBX PA+ or a similar processor is required, not "one day".
I say this so you can add it into the equation for pricing.

Also, when you say there's room under the stage, how far would it be to the wall behind the subs??

Other than that, enjoy your time here, lots of helpful people, and plenty to learn...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman »

I think you have the wrong sub picked out. You would be fine with just T24s. Normally I would recommend T39 slims, and disguise them as offering tables or some other table, but in that small room, 2 T24s would be overkill. Luckily, the 10" driver recommended for the T45 also works for the T24.

more than enough for a church sanctuary.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

gda659

#4 Post by gda659 »

The stage runs a little over 8' from the wall.
I'll reconsider my sub choice and look at getting a DriverRack.
Thanks for the feedback, I've got much to learn.

I will say that the 1/2" ACX I picked up from the Dixon Ace Hardware is 5 even plies and void free. At only $35/ sheet, while it isn't BB, it's pretty good.

sine143

#5 Post by sine143 »

Grant Bunter wrote:Hi gda659,
Welcome to the forum :)

If you go with one of Bill's designs, sadly I have to say the DBX PA+ or a similar processor is required, not "one day".
I say this so you can add it into the equation for pricing.

Also, when you say there's room under the stage, how far would it be to the wall behind the subs??

Other than that, enjoy your time here, lots of helpful people, and plenty to learn...

he has an xti 4k... that takes care of everything but limiting.

that being said, go get a PA plus before the 30th. check northern sound, get the 100 dollar rebate on top of their great price, super cheap.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

Grant Bunter

#6 Post by Grant Bunter »

sine143 wrote:
he has an xti 4k... that takes care of everything but limiting.
Doh, quite right, apologies.

The 8' distance is a problem for phase cancellation isn't it?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

gda659

#7 Post by gda659 »

The stage is 8 ft deep and about 6" from the wall. I can put them just about anywhere under it.
Our pastor is Jamaican and likes the low end... There are several other folks in the congregation that like to have their insides rattled. I just want good, clean sound.
I'm looking at what we can do with the XTi vs the driverack. I'll have to borrow my son's laptop to download all the software and updates for the Crown. I know an audio consultant that can assist with tuning.
The current rebate on the driverack is very tempting, only 18 more days to buy with the rebate.

sine143

#8 Post by sine143 »

yeah.... i only have half my rent money saved up... but its looking real tempting to me too even though I have 2 xtis lolll. :bash:

that being said, do you have the original xti series, or the xti 2 series?
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

MissileCrisis

#9 Post by MissileCrisis »

When you finish building let me know and I may come check it out, I'm in the east bay and I plan on building a T60 this summer so if you'd like to hear that for comparison hit me up in ~ 6 weeks. IMO if you have the space and like low end you can't go wrong with any of Bill's designs. Pick the one that goes as low as you need and add cabs for spl.

It also seems that since this is a permanent install you can get away with bigger dual loaded cabs as opposed to the convenient and light multi-single cabs. Wider cabs = higher sensitivity = higher bang per driver.
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)