Greetings from Toronto, Ontario

Tweakings

Greetings from Toronto, Ontario

#1 Post by Tweakings »

Hello! I searched the internet to try to find the best DIY speakers resource, and this it! I'm fresh to the audio world. I've never really played around with equipment like I am since last week as I just bought a DJ Controller.

I would like to play for dances with my friends by slowly building the resources we need for a sound-system, so it's time to fill in the gaps of my knowledge before proceeding with driver purchase and speaker construction.

This is my first post, I'm going to have to explore more these forums to find the best place for discussion.

Thank you, some of you really amaze me by your knowledge about this stuff, sincerely, Tweakings. :-)

Grant Bunter

Re: Greetings from Toronto, Ontario

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hi Tweakings,

Welcome to the forum :)

Have a good look around, and, since you are new to sound, read/learn as much as you can.
Many of the common questions are answered here:
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

When you DJ, what styles of music do you plan to play?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Tweakings

Re: Greetings from Toronto, Ontario

#3 Post by Tweakings »

Hi Grant!

Thanks for the link. I just posted an a few original questions which I think will take some time to sort through.

The music which I would like to play in the future will hopefully consist of genres that haven't been made yet! My ambitions is to have the following (extensive list) of genres rediscovered and reinterpreted by my friends and I, making it relevant for a new up and coming generation of youth ....

I like "rave music," like, when raves were still raves and not parties or concerts or superstar events or in the clubs, when they couldn't "control them" as Mel Lastman said when he put a stop to them after the first iDance rally here in Toronto ... so as it was between 1990-1996/7-'99 (by sound), its ancestors and its direct descendants

http://deadkidsgetlively.com/2011/02/23 ... ave-scene/

These are the many genres that I happen to enjoy, they all kind of have a special place in the grooves of my heart ... :) *sigh* but I'm not sure as to how this is all too relevant to today's vast majority of party people. :roll:

1970's-early nineties
Jazz, soul, funk,or any blending of the three
Electro, Chicago house, Italo house, NYC garage, Detroit Techno
Acid House, Freestyle house techno, Bleep techno
Classic/acid (techno)trance (before trance became progressive in '97)
Funky house, minimal acid techno, chemical breaks.

Breakbeat UK rave hardcore;
Darkcore, Ragga Jungle
Reinforced, Moving Shadow, Suburban Base, Lucky Spin, Dee Jay, White House.
Atmospheric Jungle .... so before jungle got into "step," and became jungle/drum'n'bass
I favour drill'n'bass, breakcore and raggacore too.
4-beat and happy hardcore ('till '99/00) ...

Goa/psy trance.
I also like ambient/experimental house/dub/techno/trance/psy and electro acoustic.

The short, like I said , I like "rave music"!! :D

With a huge library of music gathered over the years to learn from and with legal digital download sites + the many second hand CD shops in the city and online, it's time to bring a grass roots aggiornamento and ressourcement into not just music (musics) but an entire cultural movement ...

Cheers m8 :wink: