So glad I found this place...

Psydwaze

So glad I found this place...

#1 Post by Psydwaze »

I've been getting the itch to upgrade my car audio system after about a six year break since my last install. That particular vehicle was sold about four years ago, so I've been living with a stock system since. I've been building my own personal subwoofer enclosures for about the 20 years, with lots of trial and error before educating myself on how to properly design and build a correct enclosure. Whether they sounded bad or good, or looked awful or were works of art, each one was always a joy to build.

The last ten years or so I've found myself gravitating toward corner-loaded, single-sub, ported enclosures; normally high-efficiency 12" subs to keep power requirements and costs low. I'm somewhat of a mild basshead, but not in the pop-music 60hz range. I'm looking for impressive output south of 30hz, which brings me here. I'll be building an AT enclosure first to squeeze into my compact hatchback. I'm not very familiar with the real-world sound of a folded horn, but so far it seems like just what I've been looking for. If all goes well, the TT looks like something I might get my wife to agree to, possibly in the form of an ottoman.

Glad to be here,

Psydwaze
Northern, CA

Michael Ewald Hansen

Re: So glad I found this place...

#2 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

Psydwaze wrote:I've been getting the itch to upgrade my car audio system after about a six year break since my last install. That particular vehicle was sold about four years ago, so I've been living with a stock system since. I've been building my own personal subwoofer enclosures for about the 20 years, with lots of trial and error before educating myself on how to properly design and build a correct enclosure. Whether they sounded bad or good, or looked awful or were works of art, each one was always a joy to build.

The last ten years or so I've found myself gravitating toward corner-loaded, single-sub, ported enclosures; normally high-efficiency 12" subs to keep power requirements and costs low. I'm somewhat of a mild basshead, but not in the pop-music 60hz range. I'm looking for impressive output south of 30hz, which brings me here. I'll be building an AT enclosure first to squeeze into my compact hatchback. I'm not very familiar with the real-world sound of a folded horn, but so far it seems like just what I've been looking for. If all goes well, the TT looks like something I might get my wife to agree to, possibly in the form of an ottoman.

Glad to be here,

Psydwaze
Northern, CA
Welcome aboard!

The AT is a 40hz horn, and even though you do get some extension below 40hz don't count on getting impressive output below 30hz, its not gonna happen. However, I do think you have your mind wrapped around bass the wrong way and sort of need to reboot.

If you want in-your-face bass its all in the 50-80hz range and its where most bass is. Sub 40 or 30hz is only common in some EDM like dubstep and the likes and even those genres rarely brings anything significant below 30hz.. I hear friends talk about MAD LOW BASS and a lot of the time this is actually bass in the 45-60hz range, they just think its way way lower because they haven't really heard lower before. Try pulling your music into audacity and check out where the majority of the bass is and you'll most likely find out that you dont need impressive output below 30hz.

To cut it short, the AT excels above 40hz and does provide decent output down to 30hz (110-112db in my car at around 50w) but if you absolutely want a lot sub 30, then you need a TT or a THT - if you can fit them :twisted:
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

Psydwaze

#3 Post by Psydwaze »

After reading back through my post, I do agree with and appreciate your comments. I will have some more specific questions regarding the AT and folded horn enclosures in general, but I will post those in the Tuba and Titan Pro-Sound Subwoofers section. I hope to get your feedback on those topics as well.

Gregory East

#4 Post by Gregory East »

Welcome!

It's funny how these introduce yourself sessions always turn to tech discussion in 3 seconds flat. See you on the other side.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

AntonZ

#5 Post by AntonZ »

Welcome Psy. You may want to add your location to your profile, so it will show underneath your name. Makes it a lot easier to give specific recommendations on drivers and materials, since the availability of those varies wildly, with forum members from all over the globe.
Michael Ewald Hansen wrote:I hear friends talk about MAD LOW BASS and a lot of the time this is actually bass in the 45-60hz range, they just think its way way lower because they haven't really heard lower before. Try pulling your music into audacity and check out where the majority of the bass is and you'll most likely find out that you dont need impressive output below 30hz.
+1
I hadn't heard proper bass in a home before building the modest Tuba 18 for my living room. Never knew what 40Hz actually sounds like. A clean 40Hz is deep, pretty impressive. 30Hz or lower is rapidly nearing the "feel rather than hear" zone. I think you are going to like the AT in your vehicle. Enjoy.

doncolga

#6 Post by doncolga »

Welcome dude! Indeed...this is a great place.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

maxo

#7 Post by maxo »

welcome !
you will not see high traffic as other sites as almost people around here is because they got or the want to get some design from BFM
but there is some nice people around here and the best of all is that the Brains behind the designs is most of the time around here and chime in with help or suggestions
It is not the bananas but the monkey

Tom Smit

#8 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum!

Do you do drifting?

I gave my reponse here
TomS