Greetings from Austin

MisterB

Greetings from Austin

#1 Post by MisterB »

Hello from Austin, Texas!

I've been a psy-trance DJ for 10+ years and just recently started throwing my own smaller events. I really like taking care of sound myself rather than paying a sound guy to take care of it but, thus far, all the logistics of renting speakers are a pain in the butt. It's actually quite fun to go pick up the speakers but a real bummer having to haul them back a couple days after the events.

I'm looking forward to building my own smaller system that I can store at the house. I'll mostly be doing park parties (where I can't be over 85 db at 100 feet) and small indoor venues. I'll be starting with 2 omntop 12s and 2 tuba 24s. I built quite a few car subwoofer boxes in my early 20s and now that I'm pushing 40, I think I'll have the patience to apply that knowledge to more complex builds. I've also built several skateboard halfpipes. It's a different skillset but certainly involves being patient and doing things correctly for the intended function. I really like the idea of having my own efficient and clean system that will hopefully kick some more expensive store-bought systems in the rear!
12" autotuba

Pair of O-Top 12s with Delta Pros

Grant Bunter

Re: Greetings from Austin

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hello MisterB,
Welcome to the forum :)

Like that nic, I get called that as well.

85dB at 100 feet (well actually 104 feet) = 115dB at 1 metre (3'3").

The T24 is quite capable of that. I would make sure you put them together and V plate them as per the pic on the sales page.
It is often said here a tops to subs ratio outdoors should be 1:2. You may wish to consider 4 subs outdoors, at some stage.

Here's the catch with your sub choice. Do you want lower than 45hz? That's a little rhetorical given what you have said you're playing music wise.
Because they are horn loaded designs, T24's in groups of less than 4 need to be high passed at 45Hz in order to protect the drivers from suddenly stopping.
If you want lower response than 45Hz with 2 cabs, the T30 can be high passed at 35Hz for less than 4 cabs, 30Hz for 4 or more cabs.

The T30 eats into pack space more than the T24.
Bang for buck, if in fact 45Hz is ok, the T39 gives higher SPL.

There is a bundle of advice and info available here, so have a good look around, read all you can and ask heaps of questions.

Hope this helps...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Welcome fellow Texan,

I'm just down the road from you. If you want to rent a BFM setup to try it out..... :mrgreen:

Like Grant said....you probably want to look at T30s (or T39s depending on material).

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Welcome fellow Texan,
G'day Bruce.

Another Texan. The Antipodean/Texan balance here really is getting out of kilter :shock:
Built:

Gregory East

#5 Post by Gregory East »

The park shows need a SPL meter on hand. BFM sounds so clean you have no idea how freaking loud it is until you go to speak in your normal voice and are shocked by having to shout instead. Not kidding.

Packspace and desired highpass is the usual point of conflict. With your modest spl needs you can do it all with any pair of slim subs and a v-plate.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

ontime1269

#6 Post by ontime1269 »

Welcome to the forum from yet another Texan residing in Dallas. :mrgreen:

MisterB

#7 Post by MisterB »

Thanks for responses. The subs I've rented in the past didn't go below 45 hz and there's not a lot going on with psy below that, but it's always nice to know the extra range is available if needed. I think the best course of action is to measure the interior of my wife's SUV (which she kindly lets me borrow when I do events) and see what I'm working with. I might as well take advantage of the multi-plan discount and order the T30 plans.

I bought an SPL meter right when I started doing the park events. In my experience, the police will still give me a ticket even if my meter says otherwise, but at least it shows that I'm making an effort. Plus, I can see how loud the system will go when I'm at a venue with more SPL freedom :D

And Grant, thanks for all the build threads you've posted. They are very motivating!

I'm not sure where to ask this question or where it might already be answered, so I apologize if I shouldn't be asking it in this thread.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to having 2 drivers in 1 cabinet versus 2 drivers in 2 separate cabinets? I know that 2 in 1 will certainly make it heavier, just wondering what the payoff is with efficiency and output.
12" autotuba

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

Your welcome re the build threads :)

The singular advantage of dual driver cabs is more drivers per amp channel.
The downside to dual drivers cabs is greater pack space and cab weight, as well as requiring an amp with sufficient voltage swing to drive the dual loaded cabs to maximum performance.

There is no advantage at all when comparing output of a dual driver cab Vs 2 singles. Well, there is a slight advantage with the 2 singles V plated, because you gain 3 dB from the V plate!

For your purpose, since you plan to have no more than 4 subs down the track, dual driver cabs can be crossed off the build plan. You can run 4x 8ohm driver loaded cabs, 2 cabs per channel in parallel with a 4ohm/channel output capable amp.

If 45Hz is enough, then I highly recommend the T39. Yes it's taller, but not as deep. Bang for buck, T39 is a better choice with higher SPL. When you get to 4x T39's you can drop your high pass to 40Hz anyway...
Built:

Gregory East

#9 Post by Gregory East »

Two T39 with v-plate is going to give everything you need and more. You can forget about dual loading and four cab extension. Given your low spl you should look at T30 if you want to have option to go low low.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

MisterB

#10 Post by MisterB »

There really is an abundance of information in this forum! Based on what I've read, I think T30s with LAB 12s will be the way to go. That should give me a nice balance of SPL and the ability to dip down into those lower frequencies. Somebody might end up playing something different from psy-trance on my system from time to time, maybe even me :lol: It might take a little longer to save up the $ required for two of those, but I think it'll be worth it and I think I'd have the pack space to eventually have 4. I appreciate the responses and the welcome. I'm sure I'll come up with more questions and will try to ask them in the appropriate thread.
12" autotuba