It's an invasion! Another Dutch bloke has joined the ranks

Martijn

It's an invasion! Another Dutch bloke has joined the ranks

#1 Post by Martijn »

Hello everyone,

I am Martijn. I am 36 and live in The Netherlands. I am a Bassplayer and a singer,
work in automotive electronics. I'm not just throwing subs in boots but i work on
OEM systems, The ECU, CAN-BUS, etc. I also do custom wiring looms for any
application (mostly engine-swaps). I am also a member of the DIY Crowd.
If there is a way i really want to build things myself. But i like to build good stuff
so i read and surf more than regularly. (No girlfriend..saves a lot of time for myself)

And it's the surfing and reading which led me to the BFM designs.

I purchased the plans for: TLAH, SLA, Autotuba, Tabletuba and the DR250.

In the near future i plan on building the TLAH and Tabletuba for my appartment
and the Autotuba for my Mk2 Volkswagen Golf.

The DR250 will be next, but when that will be can change any day. I'm not in a
band right now, so the need isn't there yet. For the 5 dollar more i wanted to see
the complexity of the build for myself.

Any help on getting the necessary supplies would be greatly appreciated!
Not everything is available over here.

Kind Regards,
Martijn

Bryce

Re: It's an invasion! Another Dutch bloke has joined the ran

#2 Post by Bryce »

Welcome to the forum!

There is much mystery for me in the communication systems they have going on in newer cars. Glad I don't have to deal with it yet. Done any monster Miatas?
4x 24" Titan 48
2x DR250
Studiolive 1642
Crown XLS amplifiers
Driverack PA

Up next: 2 slim THT

Martijn

#3 Post by Martijn »

I truly believe that a lot of mysteries can be solved with Study, Patience and Enthusiasm!

I have not done monster miata's, but could do it if someone wanted it. I have put Ford 5.0 HO
engines in a lot of cars. Even an 4,6L 4V in a BMW e36 Coupe. But i love the BMW V8 in the old
e30 chassis..good handling and insane power!

Bryce

#4 Post by Bryce »

Yes, I'm going for my EE, so it will come with time.

Sign me up for the BMW V8. :)

You probably have heard of Megasquirt then. I run MS3x in my 92 miata with an 04 engine. Running on CKP and CMP sensors instead of the stupid CAS. Full VVT control is done now too. Last I hear, they're working on the dual VANOS (or quad?) control for the BMW V8. That's the cool thing about MS anyways, always new features in development.
4x 24" Titan 48
2x DR250
Studiolive 1642
Crown XLS amplifiers
Driverack PA

Martijn

#5 Post by Martijn »

Ow YES! I know, have heard, and used Megasquirt. Not MS3 though only MS with the extra alternative firmware.
Back then it was not enough to keep up with the engine we were building, a 2 Liter 16V General Motors (Opel) c20XE
with a huge turbo, very very extensive headwork, forged everything. It was meant for Autocross (dirt-racing on an old farmfield). We used VEMS (www.vems.hu) instead. Its a fork of Megasquirt but based on an AVR proccessor. Already had
full sequential injection, wbo2 and EGT integrated and software features like Anti-Lag (LOVE that sound!) with throttle-kicker solenoid, Launch control, flat-shift etc. And its cheaper than importing a MS kit or built unit because its made in Hungary.
I started my tuning/tinkering with an old VW Golf with a Digifant ECU from a G60. Only i had a 1.6 with a Mercedes SLK Kompressor (Eaton m64 i believe). It ran, even ran great, but i forgot the most important rule: Traction, Traction, Traction.
Ended up in a ditch, cops took a look under the, now peeled open, hood and revoked my registration. Learned a lot that day!

The great thing about VEMS is that you could always run it of the original triggers (or add/replace if they were dodgy to begin with!).

I will have a look into MS3 again, butt i doubt it will be around 500 dollars excluding sensors (VEMS is cheaper if you buy the board and do some soldering/casing yourself. Last time i checked it was 520 Euro's For the board, FET's, WBo2 Sensor, EGT Sensor etc etc, you just put it together)

Gr

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the list, Martijn! You're involved in some interesting projects!

BTW, you should have got the CD. :mrgreen:
TomS

Bryce

#7 Post by Bryce »

Martijn wrote:Ow YES! I know, have heard, and used Megasquirt. Not MS3 though only MS with the extra alternative firmware.
Back then it was not enough to keep up with the engine we were building, a 2 Liter 16V General Motors (Opel) c20XE
with a huge turbo, very very extensive headwork, forged everything. It was meant for Autocross (dirt-racing on an old farmfield). We used VEMS (http://www.vems.hu) instead. Its a fork of Megasquirt but based on an AVR proccessor. Already had
full sequential injection, wbo2 and EGT integrated and software features like Anti-Lag (LOVE that sound!) with throttle-kicker solenoid, Launch control, flat-shift etc. And its cheaper than importing a MS kit or built unit because its made in Hungary.
I started my tuning/tinkering with an old VW Golf with a Digifant ECU from a G60. Only i had a 1.6 with a Mercedes SLK Kompressor (Eaton m64 i believe). It ran, even ran great, but i forgot the most important rule: Traction, Traction, Traction.
Ended up in a ditch, cops took a look under the, now peeled open, hood and revoked my registration. Learned a lot that day!

The great thing about VEMS is that you could always run it of the original triggers (or add/replace if they were dodgy to begin with!).

I will have a look into MS3 again, butt i doubt it will be around 500 dollars excluding sensors (VEMS is cheaper if you buy the board and do some soldering/casing yourself. Last time i checked it was 520 Euro's For the board, FET's, WBo2 Sensor, EGT Sensor etc etc, you just put it together)

Gr

Yes man, check it out. They've come a long ways since MS1. I fooled with MS1 on a friend's car the other day, and felt like a ham-fisted caveman smashing rocks to get things done. It will still run on the stock CAS, but I chose to utilize the crank trigger wheel instead of dealing with variance in timing due to belt stretch/slop. Also need the newer sensors to read the intake cam for VVT to function.

I'm sorry. We seem to have much more freedom for car mods in (most of) the states. That seems to be a driving factor in factory-produced high-performance versions of some cars over there, that we don't get here.

The integrated WB02 controller is something I've never seen before in an EMS. That sure removes the possibility of any ground offset in the 0-5V signal, which would be very useful.

Looks like I can't get the basic kit for under $700 here, which comes out to be the same as a MS3X build. All you need with the MS is an IAT sensor, MAP sensor is internal like the VEMS, but doesn't come with the 4bar sensor by default. Just at a glance, it seems the biggest difference now is the Expansion board adds loads of I/O options, 2 DB37 connectors and a USB port for tuning.
4x 24" Titan 48
2x DR250
Studiolive 1642
Crown XLS amplifiers
Driverack PA

Bas Gooiker

#8 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Welcome to the forum Martijn.

You made a great choice when it comes to building speakers, to bad you chose the wrong type VW Golf. :noob: Mk2 is nice but you can't beat a mk1! 8)
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

AntonZ

#9 Post by AntonZ »

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, other than it seems to be related to car electrics. I have seen my share back in the days, reworked the electrics on a CBR600 motorcycle engine when it got built into a kart cross frame. Things have changed a lot since then.

Plenty things available in Europe, in this thread: Links to everything you need for your BFD-build, in Europe.
Tom Smit wrote:BTW, you should have got the CD. :mrgreen:
Agree with Tom, get the CD.

Good timing on you - we were just discussing options of getting together with the dutch and belgians some time soon. No chance of running all of our bfm gear full blast in your appartment? :wink:

Martijn

#10 Post by Martijn »

Hello Bas,

As a previous Jetta MK1 owner i have to agree. The MK1 is a really really nice car, and i have seen a lot of very nice looking ones. But there are a few issues:

1. Changing the gears with 2 Big Dutch dudes in the frontseats requires man-touching :slap:
2. When throwing your (empty) can of Redbull over your shoulder you hit the person next to you :loler:

Jokes aside, i love the look of the original mk1 but i hate the way it handles when lowered substatialy.
Also the price of powersteering for the mk1 is extreme and its a little cramped.

Oh yeah, another thing, my mk2 cost me 150 Euros to buy. Not really mk1 territory nowadays!

Thanks for the welcome!

Martijn

#11 Post by Martijn »

Hello Antonz,

My appartment would be a bit of a problem. I can get away with almost anything (volume-wise that is)
because it has humongous insulation and a 30cm thick concrete floor. I live above elderly people of which
most are deaf anyway. BUT THEY CAN FEEL!! And that would be a problem with the landlord.
On the other hand i do have some possibility's. Our workshop is located very close to Duiven near Arnhem.
Its a 4 minute drive from the A12! I also have other options but i have to check beforehand.
An old disco and warehouses come to mind!

Greetings!

Patrick Mos

#12 Post by Patrick Mos »

No way!!! more dutchies!!!!! ;-)

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you got a cool job...you are into VW? Sounds like you are the one to call if I want my vw polo 6n2 gti to go faster....Or maybe my old MG Midget '64. Saw some transplants with a Rover k engine, or a VTEC... :chainsaw:

If you like, I got an autotuba in the back. Not perfect, not rattlefree ( I still dont know if it is my car, or the bracing in the autotuba....). I put it together in about 6 houres, including searching for airleaks. But damn....that is some clean bass. No prob to drive over to Apeldoorn, got some friends in the neigbourhood.
Authorized Builder

my BFM gear:
2 T39, 27 inch, deltalf loaded ( R.I.P )
2 T39, 27 inch, 3012lf loaded.
2 DR200 beta and asd1001 loaded.
1 Autotuba jbl gto 1002d loaded.
2 Funky looking SLA's....
1 TTLP (acting as a scratching pole for my cats...)

AntonZ

#13 Post by AntonZ »

About 1h25m to Dordrecht, 1h45m to Duiven, doesn't make that much of a difference for me. If it fits my agenda, I'm in either way :cowboy:

We might build a wall of Autotuba's - if you stack a few they appear to really come to life. A couple of years ago there was a shootout in the US. Someone stacked 6 Autotuba's. Ear plugs plus muffs were not sufficient if the stack was given full power.

Patrick Mos

#14 Post by Patrick Mos »

@ AntonZ:

I remember seeing that picture...looks awesome.

1 autotuba in my car, running full tilt made a friend of mine sick. For all you Gabberheads: Inferno bros. - Slaves to the rave. Great song, never heard such deep bass in that song. Not even at the houseparties i went to.

It's a great feeling...the different bass frequenties rolling down your spine...
Authorized Builder

my BFM gear:

Patrick Mos

#15 Post by Patrick Mos »

Duiven - Dordrecht: 1 h 20 m by the way.
Authorized Builder

my BFM gear: