Hello from Minnesota

dyoungers

Hello from Minnesota

#1 Post by dyoungers »

I've been lurking here for quite some time after I ran across this site when looking for speaker options (in particular subwoofers) to use in our backyard when we have house concerts. As a consummate DIYer I have most of the standard wood shop toys, in particular table saw with crosscut sled, so the BFM designs were right up my alley and I bought the CD.

As far as our house concerts/parties go, we usually do one or two a year. Since the money that gets collected is donations for the musicians, we try to do this as inexpensively as possible (and did I mention I'm also a cheapskate?) Most of the shows are folk/light rock musicians with acoustic instruments but we've occasionally thrown in country, classic rock, as well as a blues guitar player.

As far as the crowd goes, we can have anywhere from 50 to 150 people in the backyard and some sit in front of the our deck (the stage) about a foot and a half below the deck, and some sit to the sides (as much as 20 feet off center) and as far as 60-70 feet away. The back yard slopes slightly upwards so the people in back are probably at or slightly above stage level and it's surrounded by trees so has a bit of an amphitheater effect.

To prepare for our show this past weekend, I spent the week after Labor Day building a T39 (16" w/ BP102) and it had it's first test on Sunday afternoon. I built the T39 because it was the first time we've had someone playing a double bass (and at some point I may build a second but it was more than enough for now.)

We currently use a couple of 15" speakers on stands but we don't have the dispersion I'd like, and frankly, I'd like a little cleaner sound when we have to turn the volume up so I'll be looking at building a pair of tops this winter (I can always use the 15s for monitors.) Right now whatever I build will have a melded array and I'm leaning towards DR200s but we'll see.

Dave
Attachments
t39.jpg
houseconcert.jpg

biggerrigger

Re: Hello from Minnesota

#2 Post by biggerrigger »

Welcome Dave, Looks like a lot of fun there in the back yard.
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

dyoungers wrote:I can always use the 15s for monitors.
Sell them. They're twice the size that mains need to be, four times the size that monitors need to be, and since the listening distance from monitors is far less than mains they need wider dispersion even more than the mains do.

Ryan A

#4 Post by Ryan A »

Hello, Dave. There are several other Minnesotans on here as well. I currently have 2 t39's and a TAT built. Haven't decided on any future builds yet; need an application first.

Good luck with your ventures.

dyoungers

#5 Post by dyoungers »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Sell them.
Sounds like a better idea ... and then add Wedgehorns to my build list :)
Dave

Builds:
1 x Titan 39 (16" w/BP102)

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum, Dave!
TomS

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hello Dave,
Welcome from me also.

What you're doing there is good on so many levels...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...