Hello all! - long time listener, first time builder here

James Champer

Hello all! - long time listener, first time builder here

#1 Post by James Champer »

Hey there!

Am I glad I found this place. Been a lurker for many moons and recently took the full CD plunge about two weeks ago.

Yes, I'm a little late to the BFM forum party, seeing how I've already received a bunch of stuff from Leland, but will soon be posting a build thread for the first two cabs I've decided to go with- Jack 112's! (full array or melded, haven't decided just yet)

I decided on those because both of my bands play small venues more often than not, and me being near the half-century mark, I want as little to haul as possible. Thus, the purported full range of the jacks appealed to me right off the bat.

You should know that I've also since ordered some lab12's from Leland just this week- Yeah, I'm a sick, sick man. I'm now going to build a pair of t-39's at the same time :slap:

For the bigger shows of course. :P

Wish me luck!

-Jim
Retired Authorized Loudspeaker Builder - Indianapolis, IN

Michael Ewald Hansen

Re: Hello all! - long time listener, first time builder here

#2 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

Welcome aboard!

I'd say definitely go with the melded array if only using 1 cab per side! You'll want as much dispersion as possible - if you add another set of cabs you can make them flat array if you like!

You're not going to regret building those t39 for your bigger shows.. They are absolutely awesome subwoofers!
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

Bas Gooiker

#3 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Welcome to the forum, have fun with your builds...
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

G'day and welcome :)

You don't need luck!
Just follow the plans and take your time.

I'm a similar age to you and getting into it late as well. Lighter, more efficient cabs was my aim from the outset....
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

James Champer

#5 Post by James Champer »

Michael Ewald Hansen wrote:Welcome aboard!

I'd say definitely go with the melded array if only using 1 cab per side! You'll want as much dispersion as possible - if you add another set of cabs you can make them flat array if you like!
Thanks and yeah, I keep going back and forth on that. My thought is that with the standard array I could throttle the subs back. It would be difficult (without switches) to throttle the tweeters back on the smaller shows. Of course, that may very well be my solution right there- switches :P

Time crunch is another problem.. big gig coming up in about two weeks :shock: I really want at least the tops ready and I don't see the old Peavey's keeping up with a full array.

Could be that I haven't heard them in person. YT is only so clear.
Michael Ewald Hansen wrote:You're not going to regret building those t39 for your bigger shows.. They are absolutely awesome subwoofers!
I so look forward to them. As fast as this build is going, I feel rather confident that I'll have BOTH ready for the next gig. <fingers crossed>

If that happens, and time allows, I'll definitely go with the melded.

I've already started my build thread so I guess we'll know soon enough hehe.

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum!
thintheherd wrote: My thought is that with the standard array I could throttle the subs back. It would be difficult (without switches) to throttle the tweeters back on the smaller shows. Of course, that may very well be my solution right there- switches :P
No, no. Build the melded array for each of both cabs. They will not overpower the woofer, or the subwoofer for that matter.. Besides, you do have an EQ, or a treble knob to use.
TomS

James Champer

#7 Post by James Champer »

Tom Smit wrote:Welcome to the forum!
thintheherd wrote: My thought is that with the standard array I could throttle the subs back. It would be difficult (without switches) to throttle the tweeters back on the smaller shows. Of course, that may very well be my solution right there- switches :P
No, no. Build the melded array for each of both cabs. They will not overpower the woofer, or the subwoofer for that matter.. Besides, you do have an EQ, or a treble knob to use.
(shh- you're making more work for me! :lol: )

That is true, in fact, I'll be running all through my Pa+. Shouldn't be a problem though I STILL have yet to learn about what all that puppy can do.

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

Here's how the dispersion works.

With a melded array you get up to 120 degrees HF dispersion. This is handy for smaller up close venues. People want to dance right in front of you while you're playing, and they get to hear you while in between the cabs, because off axis response is improved. So, the old saying is, "if your audience are within 30 feet of the cabs, build the melded array". Having said this, the people at the back of the room still have good HF.

Say you have a always have a barrier up at 30 feet to keep the punters away, because you guys are famous :) No need for that off axis response. Build the flat array.

Say the gig is a medium sized room. You have now built 4 cabs, 2 with melded array 2 with flat array. You want to cover from front of stage to back of room better. So one melded on the bottom, and one flat array cab each side stacked vertically.

(Suddenly, you're actually running a line array that flattens response, requiring less EQ)

Option three enters into play. Instead of the flat array, you build a horn for compression drivers. Higher HF output, less dispersion.

Throttle back your subs? No, why not just throttle back the whole nice even mix and cruise...
Built:

LelandCrooks

#9 Post by LelandCrooks »

My advice. Don't rush it. Trying to get new gear done in time for a gig always seems to end up badly, at least for me. If you get it done, fine, if not, fine. But just be sure if you get it done it's not 2 hrs beforehand and it's untested...
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

James Champer

#10 Post by James Champer »

Grant Bunter wrote:Here's how the dispersion works.

With a melded array you get up to 120 degrees HF dispersion. This is handy for smaller up close venues. People want to dance right in front of you while you're playing, and they get to hear you while in between the cabs, because off axis response is improved. So, the old saying is, "if your audience are within 30 feet of the cabs, build the melded array". Having said this, the people at the back of the room still have good HF.

Say you have a always have a barrier up at 30 feet to keep the punters away, because you guys are famous :) No need for that off axis response. Build the flat array.

Say the gig is a medium sized room. You have now built 4 cabs, 2 with melded array 2 with flat array. You want to cover from front of stage to back of room better. So one melded on the bottom, and one flat array cab each side stacked vertically.

(Suddenly, you're actually running a line array that flattens response, requiring less EQ)

Option three enters into play. Instead of the flat array, you build a horn for compression drivers. Higher HF output, less dispersion.

Throttle back your subs? No, why not just throttle back the whole nice even mix and cruise...
Well, it seems clear that you simply don't understand just how famous we are ( big LOL!)

I agree with everything you've said, I think I'm going with the standard array as opposed to the melded however. If only because I know I'm going to build at least two more of these and the next one will indeed have the melded.

Sounds like a good start to a BMF "rig" to me. Unfortunately, time constraints prohibit that for the next few upcoming gigs.

I would rather concentrate on the subs to compliment first, for the above, and *then* complete the system.

Of course you know even that is temporary as Omni's and Dr's are far too enticing :P

James Champer

#11 Post by James Champer »

LelandCrooks wrote:My advice. Don't rush it. Trying to get new gear done in time for a gig always seems to end up badly, at least for me. If you get it done, fine, if not, fine. But just be sure if you get it done it's not 2 hrs beforehand and it's untested...
You're right Leland but it's not in my nature. I'll stop nearly everything to see a vision I'm passionate about realized. I'm sick that way. Fortunately for me, I'm married to someone that fully understands this and supports my spurts of insanity. Thanks to that I have succeeded in more crunch times than I care to admit :P

This one is no different, the fail-safe is that the system we already have would work sans new speaks. No pressure :)

Also, and BTW, wouldn't do it if I didn't see a window to test, which, for the moment, is still open. Thanks for the advice though, (oh, and product!)

-J

Grant Bunter

#12 Post by Grant Bunter »

thintheherd wrote: Well, it seems clear that you simply don't understand just how famous we are ( big LOL!)
Of course I understand, or I wouldn't have written it! :wink:

I've even heard of you over here :shock:

Oh, and I should point out we are famous too, but like crowd contact so we leave the barrier down... :hyper:
thintheherd wrote: I agree with everything you've said, I think I'm going with the standard array as opposed to the melded however. If only because I know I'm going to build at least two more of these and the next one will indeed have the melded.

Sounds like a good start to a BMF "rig" to me. Unfortunately, time constraints prohibit that for the next few upcoming gigs.

I would rather concentrate on the subs to compliment first, for the above, and *then* complete the system.

Of course you know even that is temporary as Omni's and Dr's are far too enticing :P
It's all good.
You seemed a bit reserved/unsure about the options initially. Just wanted to make sure...

I guess in the end the flat array is perhaps better than a standard direct radiators single piezo (or CD) cab anyway...
Built: