Greetings...

eac

Greetings...

#1 Post by eac »

My name is Don Turnock, currently from Eureka Springs, Arkansas, but spent most of my life up north is South Bend, IN...

I own Eureka Aircraft, and manufacture Radio Control airplane kits.. http://www.eurekaaircraft.com

A guitar player, owned a music store till the mid 80's, sold a lot of PA gear, ran a lot of sound, and taught more bands to run sound than I can remember, along with repairing most of the gear in the area during that time. It came naturally to me since I built my first guitar amp back in 7th grade, and got my degree in electronics...

Got back into playing more lately, since we are in a very musically active tourist town. Helped on a small festival in June down the road from us (http://www.summerheritagefestival.com & fallheritagefestival.com) by doing sound, with borrowed Mackie 450's, and whatever I could come up with.. Everybody liked what they heard, I had great fun, even from borrowed equipment, and the couple days reminded me that running sound is what I am supposed to do :)

The next step was do start a small sound company, and started looking for cabinaets, etc.. Everything was easy except for the cabinets. I was very unimpressed by what I found out there, so started looking for cabinet plans.. That is when I found the BFM page :)

In the sound era I come from, horn loaded cabs were common, since big amps didn't exist like they do now. I was used to cabinets like the Sunn 115SR, and later Model 10's, 12's and 15's, and the incredible 412LH bass guitar cabs (Entwistle, Squire, etc), and its 212 brother. I already knew about the high efficiency, and superior sound produced, with common speakers, and wondered why I couldn't find any on the market. Bill said it best, manufacturers don't care about what they sell, just how much it costs, and a square box is a lot cheaper than a real cabinet to manufacture, and with big amps everywhere, who needs efficiency ;(

Going to have fun doing this, and hope to use the airplane kit cutting equipment to my advantage...

Don (EAC)

Bas Gooiker

Re: Greetings...

#2 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Welcome to the Forum Don,

I bet your RC tools will come in handy when building DR tops and the likes...
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

eac

#3 Post by eac »

Bas Gooiker wrote:Welcome to the Forum Don,

I bet your RC tools will come in handy when building DR tops and the likes...
Thanks,

You bet.. Already using them on the 2xJack10lite build thread...

Don

Bas Gooiker

#4 Post by Bas Gooiker »

ive been following that thread, didd'nt actually pay atention to the name... welcome anyways :noob:
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

If you incorporate the RC technology into the speakers, you could have a PA that drives itself to the gig.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

DJPhatman

#6 Post by DJPhatman »

Bruce Weldy wrote:If you incorporate the RC technology into the speakers, you could have a PA that drives itself to the gig.
You mean flies itself, both to the gig, and during the gig! :loler: :mrgreen:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

eac

#7 Post by eac »

DJPhatman wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:If you incorporate the RC technology into the speakers, you could have a PA that drives itself to the gig.
You mean flies itself, both to the gig, and during the gig! :loler: :mrgreen:

LOL I like the flying itself thing, especially AT the gig... Not into RC cars at all....

Don

DJPhatman

#8 Post by DJPhatman »

Hmmmmm, a self-hovering DR2X0. Very interesting!

I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

eac

#9 Post by eac »

DJPhatman wrote:Hmmmmm, a self-hovering DR2X0. Very interesting!

OK, now for a show of hands: who know what Phatman is talking about??????

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

eac wrote: OK, now for a show of hands: who know what Phatman is talking about??????

Hand :fingers:

Very interesting.....but stupid!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

DJPhatman

#11 Post by DJPhatman »

A self hovering DR cabinet? 2X0 could be 200, 250 or 280.

Or, the Arte Johnson character from "Laugh-In"?

Dan30

#12 Post by Dan30 »

You could hover 2 OT12Js from a set of hexacopters on each side of the stage.

T39 24" 3012lf (1 built 1 in progress)
SLA Pro x 2
Yamaha S112V x 1
QSC RMX 2450
dbx Driverack PA

Tom Smit

#13 Post by Tom Smit »

Dan30 wrote:You could hover 2 OT12Js from a set of hexacopters .
Wow, the stuff one can learn on this site!
Dan30 wrote:You could hover 2 OT12Js from a set of hexacopters on each side of the stage.
With the included GPS, all one would need yet is noise-cancelling for this to work.
TomS