Hello from England

Jarmin

Hello from England

#1 Post by Jarmin »

Hello All

I've been lurking around on and off for quite a while now so i thought it was time to introduce myself.

My name is Jarmin and i come from Guildford in England. Grew up playing the drums but have now been playing bass guitar in various bands for 11 years and been with my current band for 3. I also do a fair bit of DJ'ing mainly Northern Soul, Motown, Reggae and Ska but every now and then it gets a bit more electronic!

Gotta love drum n bass sometimes!

I have always had a keen interest in sound in general and have bored some of my friends many times with talk of various bass cabs and PA speakers! The glazed expression on their faces often makes me giggle!!!

I have been fortunate enough to use many different PA systems some excellent (Funktion 1) some not so excellent (dodgy little rigs at warehouse parties, a mix and match at best!!) but don't have a lot of experience with different bass guitar rigs.

Hence I am here!

I play an Epiphone Thunderbird bass through an Ampeg PF350 amp. My current cab is a tatty old no name thing with an old (70's??) HH 15" 100w speaker in it. I've put a lot more power through this thing but for some reason it just keeps going!!

I think i want to replace it with either Jack 10s or 12s but i just can't decide between them. They will also be used for PA use occasionally when i DJ so i am leaning towards the 12's but i also love the idea of a tiny rig!!

Anyway, enough of me prattling on

Cheers

Jarmin
Thunderbird
Terror Bass
Jack 10 Lites

Chris_Allen

Re: Hello from England

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

Welcome to the forum.

We'll wait for those tricky bass players to chime in.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

jswingchun

#3 Post by jswingchun »

Jarmin wrote:I think i want to replace it with either Jack 10s or 12s but i just can't decide between them. They will also be used for PA use occasionally when i DJ so i am leaning towards the 12's but i also love the idea of a tiny rig!!
What kind of bass tone do you prefer?
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)

Jarmin

#4 Post by Jarmin »

Not really sure what tone i am after. I love the sound of my Thunderbird and have been nothing but impressed by the little Ampeg (apart from when i tested it in the shop with the matching cabs. Awful inefficient farty things)

I love John Entwhistle's tone. And Bill Wyman. And Flea. And Jeff Ament oh no the list could be endless!!!

We mainly play rock n roll music influenced by people like The Who, Rolling Stones, The Doors but we occasionally delve into reggae and ska.

I like a bit of grit i think. Not distortion. And i like to be able ti feel it!!
Thunderbird
Terror Bass
Jack 10 Lites

Gregory East

#5 Post by Gregory East »

I love my BAT or T48 + DR250 as personal rig / PA on cafe size gigs.

The best way to get bass you can feel and hear well at the same time is to have a BFM PA. I remember pubs in UK as being none too big for a pair of subs and tops. You would use wedgehorn monitor with highpass and the subs cover the bottom end. The drummer will love the kick.

You wouldn't have any bass cab on stage, how's that for small :mrgreen:

The subs are kinda big but very light and sound amazing.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

jswingchun

#6 Post by jswingchun »

Jarmin wrote:I love John Entwhistle's tone. And Bill Wyman. And Flea. And Jeff Ament oh no the list could be endless!!!
I would read that as a punchy articulate tone with nice full lows but not massive lows. To me that translates into a couple of Jack 12s or Jack 10s. Check my avatar and you will see that I speak from experience! :mrgreen:
Omni 10
Omni 10.5
OmniTop 12 x 4
Wedgehorn 8 x 3
XF212
T39 @ 18" x 2
T39 @ 20" x 2
T39 @ 28" x 2
Jack 110 x 5
Jack Lite 12
XF210
XF210 (Slant only, no crossfire)