A new BFMer from Houston

BassMe

Re: A new BFMer from Houston

#16 Post by BassMe »

Long as we get it nice and drunk with some whiskey first :)

Bruce Weldy

#17 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BassMe wrote:Long as we get it nice and drunk with some whiskey first :)

Whiskey is for snipe hunting......jackalope hunting is always accompanied by beer.

And if you ask for a white wine spritzer.....well....let's just say, you best have your running shoes on.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

BassMe

#18 Post by BassMe »

Oh I heard that jackaloupes are much easier to hunt if they are drunk. They also have penchant for whiskey according to wikipedia.

Personally I am a bourbon or whiskey man myself, so I can appreciate their sense of taste.

:loler:

88h88

#19 Post by 88h88 »

Someone say whiskey? Deal, I'm in. What the crap is a snipe?
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

LelandCrooks

#20 Post by LelandCrooks »

88h88 wrote: What the crap is a snipe?
Time for a hunt. :twisted:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#21 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You hunt them while riding a unicorn.

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#22 Post by Harley »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
You hunt them while riding a unicorn.
...also if you were ever in the colonies in the 60's, you could have gone hunting for one of these snipes

Humber Super Snipe
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

bcdaffin

#23 Post by bcdaffin »

Us Texans say we have a great country. When doing so, we're usually referring to the country of Texas.
Born and raised in Texas, amen to that brother. I had the misfortune of being moved due to my dad's job :( , but TN isn't so bad.. Definitely moving back if I get the chance :D
-Brian Daffin

Bryce

#24 Post by Bryce »

Any day now, I'll be buying wood for a 24.5" THTLP build. It is unfortunate the DVC385-88 isn't in stock at PE right now. Planning on using a Bash 300 amp.

The current home theater room is 19x23x8 with a small outcrop totalling ~3600 cu ft. The display is along the long dimension. I'm using a Klipsch Synergy 12 and an Elemental Designs A3-200. My receiver, an Onkyo TX-NR818 has Audyssey XT32, which keeps my frequency response from the subs flat at 115db down to 35hz, at which point the spl takes a nosedive and does not recover. The subs are in the front corners, no room modes hindering response. I originally had them stacked in one corner, but was very easily localizing them, even though I'm crossing over at 80hz.

My one concern is whether or not I'll be able to localize the THTLP if it is in a front corner. I'm thinking the localization problem is due to distortion of the direct radiator design, and probably port noise too.

What do you guys think? Am I on the right path for 115db+ down into the teens?
4x 24" Titan 48
2x DR250
Studiolive 1642
Crown XLS amplifiers
Driverack PA

Up next: 2 slim THT

Tom Smit

#25 Post by Tom Smit »

Bryce wrote: I'm thinking the localization problem is due to distortion of the direct radiator design, and probably port noise too.
I think you're right since freqs below 100hz should not be locate-able.
TomS

Bryce

#26 Post by Bryce »

I had my first gig with the 4x T48s tonight.

Outdoor gig performing for ~60-80 people. I brought out only two subs at first, then noticed the amp was clipping (Subs were audibly distorting) while checking the kick drum mic. Oddly, the limiter wasn't kicking in. I brought out the other two subs for that extra 6db. Still clipping! Turns out I had accidentally set the qsc rmx 1450 to bridge mode. OOPS!

They performed admirably! These are by far the best subs I've used to date. I never found the limiter. In fact, I'm pretty sure I had 20-30db of headroom! More details and pics to follow.
4x 24" Titan 48
2x DR250
Studiolive 1642
Crown XLS amplifiers
Driverack PA

Bryce

#27 Post by Bryce »

On the PA front:
I just recently acquired two used DR250s loaded with beta 10s and straight 10 piezo arrays from a friend to replace my HD1521s. I beleive they were built in 07-08, some older revision than my current plans show. The piezo array isn't isolated from the woofer. They're great! I've had them out for gigs the past 4 weekends and they never fail to disappoint. They're half the weight of my Mackies and have wider dispersion. I was thinking about building a single pair of melded array OT12s for small indoor gigs, but the DR250s do just fine in tiny venues.

On the HT front:
I bought a pair of DVC385-88s and Bash 300 amps when they were on sale, and built two sealed ~3cuft enclosures for them. Also got a Behringer BFD for EQ but it's been sitting in its box for more than a few months now. This is just another incremental improvement, until I actually have the time to build some THTs. I got a new GF back in October, who happens to live in San Antonio 3 hours away. I've been driving over there or she's been driving over here or we've been meeting in Austin pretty much every weekend since then. Free time has been scarce. Now I'm also looking to buy a house within the next couple of weeks and move her to Houston.
4x 24" Titan 48
2x DR250
Studiolive 1642
Crown XLS amplifiers
Driverack PA

Bruce Weldy

#28 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bryce wrote: They're great! I've had them out for gigs the past 4 weekends and they never fail to disappoint.
:shock:

I'm sorry to hear that....

:mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."