Finally! DIY Cabs that make sense (Hello from Missouri)

Fourthlaw

Finally! DIY Cabs that make sense (Hello from Missouri)

#1 Post by Fourthlaw »

Joe Baxter, from great tasting Springfield, MO--just hit the 4 decade mark, sadly. Married, six kids, but in my defense there is a set of twins there. After about an eleven year hiatus from music and sound, I succumbed to the siren call about three years ago. While I once played bass in hard rock and (dare I say it) 80's rock bands, now my PA needs generally tend toward the world of (even more shocking) bluegrass, newgrass, and the spoken word (preaching/lecture).

Generally I don't introduce myself on boards until/unless I become more active--but this one looks like a bit tighter community, so I thought it in order. I'm going to be hanging around a bit in research mode. Probably not asking too many dumb questions at first, but once I get started, they are sure to be breathtakingly stupid. :) So, please take a moment and prepare yourself.

My much older and less handsome brother just accepted a promotion to work with his company's Walmart team in Bentonville and will be taking his fully-formed, trustworthy, and easily-borrowed PA system with him. So, over the next year I am going to compile my own. The wedgehorns originally drew me to the site--I've hated every monitor I've ever used throughout the years and find the unique design exciting. Unless I miss my guess, they will be made to order for strings and acoustical groups. And after horsing around the EV Eliminator tops of the current system, a set of nice *light-weight* DR200s seem almost too good to be true.

Note: Please do not tell me they are too good to be true.

Or, come to think of it, as happens with some "audiophile" speakers, please do not tell me they are too true to be good. :)

Looking forward to craigslist this fall...I'll start picking up amps when the garage bands start shutting down. Probably a snake too...I think 24 channels will be about right for me. Anyway, thanks for listening to my sob story! You're a real pal.

Jon Barnhardt

Re: Finally! DIY Cabs that make sense (Hello from Missouri)

#2 Post by Jon Barnhardt »

Welcome!

I hate to break it to you, but the tops are the real deal. I've used most brands in the industry and prefer Bill's tops to anything I've used short of $2k+ each.

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#3 Post by Harley »

Fourthlaw wrote:Please do not tell me they are too good to be true.
In that case I'd put it this way...."They're too good to be ignored!"

I have built plenty of DRs.

If you can fit size-wise, the DR250 ( DLII2510 + melded piezo ) is the 'bee's knees' :mrgreen:

Ohhh...welcome by the way. This IS a tight-knit forum like you say. Just because of the nature of the feature product line, the type of people attracted to DIY and/or approved build/sell, plus FitzYoda ( Bill ) in charge, Buttheads last about as long here as a lit cigarette.Wise forum choice indeed have you made. :hyper:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

doncolga

#4 Post by doncolga »

Harley wrote: FitzYoda ( Bill ) in charge, Buttheads last about as long here as a lit cigarette.Wise forum choice indeed have you made. :hyper:
:loler: Too funny man!

Hey Fouthlaw...welcome to the site man. I knew little other than marketing BS and had never really worked with wood before arriving here. I've said this many time here before, but I'm amazed every time I listen to my rig, which at it's current size should hold me nicely for a while. Just absolutely love it. From placement to wrapping cables, I've learned a TON here.

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Chris_Allen

#5 Post by Chris_Allen »

That must be the best thought out/composed first message I've ever read!

Sadly, you win nothing.

The forum rules state that you must post pictures of your builds otherwise it didn't happen.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Chris_Allen

#6 Post by Chris_Allen »

Harley wrote:plus FitzYoda ( Bill )
...hmmmm, build cabinets you will...

...Strong is the bass in this one....
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Fourthlaw

#7 Post by Fourthlaw »

Jon Barnhardt wrote:Welcome!

I hate to break it to you, but the tops are the real deal. I've used most brands in the industry and prefer Bill's tops to anything I've used short of $2k+ each.
I'm really stoked on the idea being more modular (I saw the build with 4 DR200s stacked like a line array). Small venue, take a few. Large venue take some more. SO much better than showing up with a scary-huge set of speakers in a tiny building!

Thanks for the reply!

Fourthlaw

#8 Post by Fourthlaw »

Harley wrote:
Fourthlaw wrote:Please do not tell me they are too good to be true.
In that case I'd put it this way...."They're too good to be ignored!"
Sure seems to be the case. Glad I found my way here.
If you can fit size-wise, the DR250 ( DLII2510 + melded piezo ) is the 'bee's knees' :mrgreen:
Thanks! DR250 is probably on the top of the short list--but in light of my present noobtastic condition in the BFM Universe, I'll try to defer making any decisions until I hang around here a bit eavesdropping.
Ohhh...welcome by the way. This IS a tight-knit forum like you say. Just because of the nature of the feature product line, the type of people attracted to DIY and/or approved build/sell, plus FitzYoda ( Bill ) in charge, Buttheads last about as long here as a lit cigarette.Wise forum choice indeed have you made. :hyper:
Good to know. Nice to see a well-moderated forum can still exist--they're fairly rare any more. Thanks for the reply!

Fourthlaw

#9 Post by Fourthlaw »

doncolga wrote:
Harley wrote: FitzYoda ( Bill ) in charge, Buttheads last about as long here as a lit cigarette.Wise forum choice indeed have you made. :hyper:
:loler: Too funny man!

Hey Fouthlaw...welcome to the site man. I knew little other than marketing BS and had never really worked with wood before arriving here. I've said this many time here before, but I'm amazed every time I listen to my rig, which at it's current size should hold me nicely for a while. Just absolutely love it. From placement to wrapping cables, I've learned a TON here.

Donny
Great--looking forward to learning more. Usually, I'm so busy renovating a house that fun projects like this get pushed aside--but I may have a relatively free winter for a change.

All of the posts I've read deal with real-world results. And it seems that most of the members may have actually hooked up an amp once or twice. :)

Thanks for the reply!

Fourthlaw

#10 Post by Fourthlaw »

Chris_Allen wrote:That must be the best thought out/composed first message I've ever read!

Sadly, you win nothing.
Dang.

Fourthlaw

#11 Post by Fourthlaw »

Chris_Allen wrote:
Harley wrote:plus FitzYoda ( Bill )
...hmmmm, build cabinets you will...

...Strong is the bass in this one....
Actually, my wife says I'm a little too dork to be a storm trooper.

Thanks for the replies!

AntonZ

#12 Post by AntonZ »

Fourthlaw wrote:Nice to see a well-moderated forum can still exist--they're fairly rare any more.
Discussions happen and opinions can be strong at times, but things are mostly dealt with in a respectful manner here (or the mods are stealth, who knows... ).

Welcome on board Joe, it seems to me you will fit right in.

Fourthlaw

#13 Post by Fourthlaw »

AntonZ wrote:Welcome on board Joe, it seems to me you will fit right in.
Just like a round peg in a square hole :)

Thanks!

Rune Bivrin

#14 Post by Rune Bivrin »

Fourthlaw wrote: Actually, my wife says I'm a little too dork to be a storm trooper.

Thanks for the replies!
Welcome to the dork side! Use the 4:s (4 tops, 4 subs, 4 wedges, 4 amps)
In build order:
O12 with no tweeter.
3 x WedgeHorns.
2 x Jack 10 without tweeters.
2 x DR250.
2 x 16" T39
1 x Tuba 24
2 x SLA Pro (sort of...)

Gregory East

#15 Post by Gregory East »

I'm out of Starwars puns but welcome along.

Build as big as you can handle.

Don't underestimate how bulky a box winds up in person as opposed to on paper. I can just transport a 24" T48 in poplar by walking it on my feet. It's not so heavy but simply too large to bearhug. Tilt slide is a piece of cake, as is handcart or two man carry.

DR250 is a magnificent choice, one hand carry in poplar. Also slightly bigger than I would like, but they deliver stupid amounts of beautiful sound so I forgive them.
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.